$100 FNM winning deck. Is it possible?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
I used to do really well at FNM's with my RDW and it was under a hundred, but that was pretty mucbh just because I didn't have to buy dual lands. Are there any non RDW decks for around 100 that are FNM worthy?
B/u zombies, with Geralf's Messenger ($20), Gravecraawler ($24), Watery Grave ($40) and Drowned Catacomb ($12) taking up most of the deck's budget, but $4 should be enough for the rest of the commons and uncommons if you can get free shipping.
i'm sure you can make a decent GW stompy list.  those duals should be pretty well in stock driving their prices down.  mana dorks, loxodon smiter, deadbridge goliath, wolfir silverheart, selesnya charm, oblivion ring.  heck, even giant growth may have some merit with all the creature combat going on.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

It depends on how competitive you want to be. This is based off of Woo Brews – Dirt Cheap Dirty Red. It's not under $100, but it's under $200.

Not So Dirt Cheap Dirty Red

Creatures (28)

Other (10)
[deck]2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Searing Spear
4 Pillar of Flame[/deck]

Land (22)
[deck]22 Mountain[/deck]

$188 from tcgplayer.com, including shipping. Of this, 50% of the cost is Boros Reckoner and 25% is Hellrider.

Maybe it's time to look at mono-green or mono-black for budget brews.
EDIT: Maybe mono-red burn? I don't know how to do them, but this is a starting point:

[Crummy deck list deleted] :P
Not sure how competitive it would be, but here's my Gruul aggro list;

On my phone so I hope the formatting is okay.....
try this deck its a uB zombie deck i ran last week at my FNM, its pretty cheap; it went 3-1, only lost the last match because I drew 7 lands by turn 5...

creatures

4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Highborn Ghoul
4 Blood Artist
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Diregraf Captain

spells

4 Tragic Slip
Dimir Charm
3 Rapid Hybridization
3 Sign in Blood
2 Spell Rupture

lands

11 Swamp
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Watery Grave
2 island

sideboard

4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Victim of Night
2 cower in fear
3 Knight of Infamy
Negate
2 Spell Rupture
1 dimir charm

play the Rapid Hybridizations on gravecrawlers and geralf's messengers at the end of their turn to surprice them with an extra 3/3, or kill their big creature. use Spell Rupture  and dimir charms to counter sweepers and kill/counter spells, spell rupture  normally turns into a legal mana leak  because of the number of cheap easy creatures in the deck. cower in fear  on the sideboard is for aggro mirror matches, use it as a combat trick/sweeper.
I really like that decklist Decktesting 54. But I heard Zombies is no longer a good deck to run because Gatecrash did nothing for it. Is this true? Because I don't want to use up my money on a deck that will be obsolete in a month.
And on a side note, I really like Naya Humans, so if anyone has a good decklist for that I'd love to take a look
Naya humams will be well over 100$ just because the mana base alone.
It depends on how competitive you want to be. This is based off of Woo Brews – Dirt Cheap Dirty Red. It's not under $100, but it's under $200.

Not So Dirt Cheap Dirty Red

Creatures (28)

Other (10)
[deck]2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Searing Spear
4 Pillar of Flame[/deck]

Land (22)
[deck]22 Mountain[/deck]

$188 from tcgplayer.com, including shipping. Of this, 50% of the cost is Boros Reckoner and 25% is Hellrider.

Maybe it's time to look at mono-green or mono-black for budget brews.

So what's the Emissary going to cast with the one red/one green?  Can't cast Zealot or Shred-Freak.  
emmisary can cast lightning mauler, which should replace shred freak
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/rCB4r.jpg)
It's possible, but that doesn't mean much.  After all, anything's possible.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

we got watery grave?

GTC offered a few things for UB zombies, rapid hybridization, dimir charm, spell rupture  and watery grave; thats about it, i've heard some people using biomass mutation  as a finisher, but I havn't really tested that out too much and im happy as it is right now.

we didn't get much from GTC but we got what we needed, UB zombies is slower than its BR counterpart, but it has a LOT more reach because of blood artist  and diregraf captain, the main problem it was having before GTC was a lack of ability to deal with spells like terminus, knight of glory  and rhox faithmender; we got dimir charm  and spell rupture  to deal with sweepers and walled creatures that were a neusence before, so I'd say its pretty solid.

supreme verdict  is still a problem, but then again wiping the board while blood artist  or diregraf captain  is almost a gift because its going to hurt them so much; plus the interaction between rapid hybridization  and gravecrawler  or geralf's messenger  is pretty stupid, its basically get an instant green (green part is important for knight of glory) 3/3 for :U: that can also double as a kill spell for something really annoying on the enemies side.

also naya humans is going to be way more expensive than $100, two colors is bad enough because of shocklands but 3 is going to easily make up the majority of the decks cost; the UB zombie deck I showed earlier costs about $90 and about  $40+ of the cost is the lands.

And on a side note, I really like Naya Humans, so if anyone has a good decklist for that I'd love to take a look

You will not stay sub-$100 with three colors, unless you are playing guildgates, and then you're no longer competitive. Your choices are pretty much between mono-color and two colors that are not played much. Zombies are out of favor right now, because of Boros Reckoner, so if you can make B/U zombies work, that definitely seems like a viable approach. I think mono-green might be a good choice, as well. Mono-red is harder to do within budget, since Hellrider, Thundermaw Hellkite, and Boros Reckoner are all very expensive cards atm.

10 Mountain
3 Forest
4 Stomping Ground
4 Rootbound Crag

4 Experiment One
4 Rakdos Cackler 
4 Stromkirk Noble

4 Ash Zealot
4 Gorehouse Chainwalker
4 Flinthoof Boar

4 Rancor
4 Volcanic Strength 
4 Searing Spear
2 Skullcrack
3 Brimstone Volley
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
for less than $100 the only deck you'll be able to play is an aggro deck, basically R/x aggro, g/w aggro, any zombie deck or a mono green fight club type deck, guess you just need to choose what type of colors you want to play, considering you want to play naya humans, you should probably just go G/W aggro, its probably the closest thing to naya humans your going to get in your budget.

if you want a really really cheap deck try turbofog, I don't think it would work but its probably the cheapest option lol.

@islands, why no ghor-clan rampager? uncounterable +4/+4 trample for :G: is stupid good.

@islands, why no ghor-clan rampager? uncounterable +4/+4 trample for :G: is stupid good.

Probably for the same reason that the deck doesn't have Staff of Nin or Triumph of Ferocity even though repeated card draw is stupid good. And also doesn't have Strangleroot Geist, Pyreheart Wolf- which once again are stupid good. Just because they're good doesn't mean he has to stuff them into every list as some sort of obligatory rite. He wants to be the stompiest of the stompy and so he's eschewing cards that he doesn't want to play 4-ofs.  Plus Slaughterhorn and Giant Growth are better fits for a deck that tries to go that small anyways. Another thing that strikes me is how awesome Gruul charm is, just by being a charm and 3 whole spells in a sideboard card.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
10 Mountain
3 Forest
4 Stomping Ground
4 Rootbound Crag

4 Experiment One
4 Rakdos Cackler 
4 Stromkirk Noble

4 Ash Zealot
4 Gorehouse Chainwalker
4 Flinthoof Boar

4 Rancor
4 Volcanic Strength 
4 Searing Spear
2 Skullcrack
3 Brimstone Volley

Nice.

Perhaps a 2 color humans? Either Selesnia humans or boros humans

Green seems to only be used in the deck for the flip buff humans/buff werewolves
While red seems to be for hellrider, stormkirk and maybe ash zelot
  You could do a mono white human deck. I have seen only One person play one however he did very well. Unforunetly I have no idea what his decklist was, and it would be shut down to many popular removal naimly bonfire
You can quite easily do RDW on the cheap, certainly for 100%.
Here's a ~20$ deck I setup for a friend recently:

Creatures(26):
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Reckless Waif
4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
3x Gore-House Chainwalker
3x Lightning Mauler
4x Rubblebelt Raiders

Spells(12):
4x Pillar of Flame
4x Searing Spear
4x Traitorous Blood

Land(22):
22x Mountain

Swapping the Rubblebelt Raiders for 4 Hellriders will improve the deck imensly but it does up the price by 60$ odd
Adding Boros Reckoners would be the next step but theyre running around 30$ each so they'd put you well over the 100$ mark.

Running the deck as is makes for a fun deck that will hit well above its weight.
It will win games but you likely won't win overall at FNM.
Adding the Hellriders will make it much more competitive.
A friend of mine ran an (almost) mono black zombies deck for a long long time. Focusing on doing damage via Geralf's Messenger, Blood Artist Diregraf Captain and various cards that sac your own stuff.

Diregraf captain was the only blue card in the deck. You could probably make it work without the watery graves since you only need a single blue source. Just use Drowned Catacombs or even Evolving Wilds
for less than $100 the only deck you'll be able to play is an aggro deck.

U/B control, maybe?
Unforunetly I have no idea what his decklist was, and it would be shut down to many popular removal naimly bonfire

Bonfire of the Damned doesn't seem to get played much any more.

A friend of mine ran an (almost) mono black zombies deck for a long long time. Focusing on doing damage via Geralf's Messenger, Blood Artist Diregraf Captain and various cards that sac your own stuff.

I have a deck like that, and it simply can't compete against red aggro decks (even updated with Watery Grave). It will probably win some games though.

I have a deck like that, and it simply can't compete against red aggro decks (even updated with Watery Grave). It will probably win some games though.

Felt to me like gatecrash actually gave a few new cards for that strategy. Namely Corpse Blockade and Devour Flesh
Mono white humans is good for sure. And for sideboard options for board sweepers, try a few nevermore. They work and only cost like $2 each. Plus the majority of the rares are cheap to buy right now. White also gives a lot of good control options with common and uncommon cards.
Sign In to post comments