Warlord? Bring it On

READ THIS FIRST
I'm laying out some rules here.  I'll report as disruptive any post that gets too far off topic (because that is disruptive).  I hope others can do the same for my posts, and keep me in line too.
Der Rules

(1) For the sake of this thread, we're ASSUMING that the Warlord (a) deserves to be a class, and (b) will be a class (as opposed to a "subclass" or whathaveyou).  Arguments about that are off-topic, disruptive, and should be reported.

(2) For the sake of this thread, we're ASSUMING that the Warlord will be an option independant of any "Tactical Module".  This means we should be designing with the same level of "theater of the mind vs. battlemat" as the other classes in DDN currently utilize, which heavily leans toward TotM.  Arguments about TotM vs. Battlemats, or anything along those lines, are off-topic, disruptive, and should be reported.

(3) Tread lightly on the topic of "healing".  If you like it for the class, try to implement it in your suggestions.  If you don't, say so in your comments and critiques of others' work - but leave it at that.  There's a fine line between discussing someone's suggestion or responding to a criticism and taking the "healing" thing completely off-topic.  Watch it.  Arguments about "healing" are probably off-topic, most likely disruptive, and should probably be reported.  Use some judgement.

(4) We're here to discuss, brainstorm, and just play around with concepts and mechanics.  Have fun.  Offer critiques.  Make suggestions of your own.  Try to stay constructive.

So if you can't tell, I'm just a bit tired of the "warlord discussions" around here actually being arguments about those things listed above.  So let's get away from that, for a while, and actually sit down and play around with design.

From another thread, this is where my current conceptualizing is starting:

Quoted Post

56790678 wrote:
56761048 wrote:
56790678 wrote:
58422808 wrote:
I actually think the Warlord should go the Rogue-route with Skill Trick-like things, but using them to apply his or her skill dice as bonuses to allies – attacks, defences, movement, etc.

If I had to bet, right now, a "skill die"-based Warlord is what I would bet on seeing.

It's a compelling thought, but I find myself struggling with it.

A huge aspect of 'bard' when I think of bards is 'skills'. I'd hedge huge bets on the fact that the bard will have access to skill tricks in some form.

We quibble over whether the bard is part cleric, part druid, part wizard, or all of the above, but we all seem to agree that the bard is part rogue.

In the interest of differentiation, I'd keep warlords free of mechanics that monkey with the skill system in roguish ways. (See what I did there? )

Well, I don't think "monkeying with the skill die" is quite the same thing as "monkeying with the skill system".  They're already using it to a degree on the Fighter with Parry, where "Skill Die" is used just to give a scaling numerical representation of "skill", not necessarily linked to Skills.

And while, yes, "some kind of ability that lets you spend your skill die for effects" sounds very similar to the Rogue's Skill Tricks, I think there are (or could be) two major distinctions.  First, these abilities would be completely divorced from Skills, both conceptually and mechanically.  You could seriously stretch it, and say that all of them are related to the Knowledge: Warfare (or Tactics, or whatever it is) Skill, but, like I said, it's something of a stretch.  Second, whereas the Rogue's Skill Tricks are focused on affecting yourself or an enemy, the Warlord's abilities would be focused on affecting an ally or an enemy.

Differentiating from the Bard, beyond simply "Is it a spellcaster?", would be a little tougher - but I think only because we just don't really know what either class (Bard or Warlord) will really look like.  Once we have one, the other shouldn't be too difficult to imagine the scope of - unless they take that one class and make it incredibly over-broad both mechanically and conceptually.

Personally, I would make an "Active vs. Passive" distinction.  The Warlord would be designed primarily around active abilities - around using features to create immediate, short-lived, and focused effects.  The Bard would be designed primarily around passive abilities - around using features to create long- or even persistent-duration effects across a broad range (usually whole groups).

No idea how you would actually implement that, especially if both "Warlord Leadership" and "Bardic Musicianship" were both conceptually tied directly to the Skill Die.  Perhaps the more focused abilities of the Warlord might allow for multiple Skill Dice when used (like the Fighter is going to have multiple "Weapon Dice"), while the Bard would simply affect more targets?  No idea, just brainstorming here.

So, with that all said, what the hell am I actually thinking of?  Well, I think "Skill Tricks" are probably the best model we have, at the moment.  Whatever the Fighter is going to look like may also be highly informative... but we just don't know what that is in great enough detail (or great enough detail for me to care).

Honestly, we just don't know... but it's fun to talk about it!

I'll put my own thoughts in a different post, to keep this one manageable (and sort of focussed?).

Have at it!

Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)

Skill Die as Buffs?

While that's my gut take on how a Warlord would be implemented at the moment, I have some reservations. 

The thoughts
First, the Skill Die scales appropriately for what it's for - ability score checks.  But when we turn to something like damage (either in "boost damage" or "reduce damage"), it can't even compete with the rate at which DDN currently scales in that aspect.  Not without modification and, most likely, multiplication.

Something as simple as "When an ally deals damage to an enemy, you can let him add your Skill Die to the damage as a reaction" is complicated by DDN's (rapidly) scaling damage.  Compare the 1d4 skill die and 1d8+1d6 damage (longsword+MDD) we have at level 1 to the 1d12 skill die and 1d8+6d6+20 damage (longsword+MDD+MDB) we have at level 20.  It's just so dramatically different that honestly I can't imagine it being very feasible.

How could we make it work? 

Just having a single universal feature that scales the SD for Warlord (active) abilities would be a pretty straightforward solution.  Something like "Whenever you use your SD for an (active) warlord ability, roll your SD twice, and use the total results.  At level X, roll it three times.  At level Y, roll it four times."

Having a "pool" of resources that let you just boost the SD a certain number of times per encounter/day/whateverthehell would also work, and sounds like something along the lines of the "pseudo-Warblade" system the Fighter will use in the future.  I'm not, personally, a big fan of the idea, but I'm not really sure where the Warlord could pull sufficient oomph from, if not from a limited-resource pool.

Hell, you could also just give the Warlord MDD like other classes get (which is almost certainly going to be the case - in whatever form "universal damage scaling" actually takes going forward), and let them use those for "buffs" instead of a Skill Die.  I'm not, personally, a big fan of this idea either.  I want the Warlord to be a combatant, certainly.  Like the Rogue, "being good (if not great in their own way) in a fight" is how some people prefer their Warlords to run.  I'm just not as much of a fan of using it to benefit allies (or hinder enemies), especially compared to Skill Die.  Mostly on a conceptual level.

Honestly, I think I kind of talked myself out of it there.  DDN's damage scaling is... let's call it interesting.  I still think a Skill Die based mechanic is where I'd take it, but I really don't know how feasible that is with the interesting damage curve in DDN.

Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Not skill die based, but...

One of my recent thoughts is, as their reaction, a Warlord may grant any ally they can see, and that can hear them, Advantage on an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw.
I dunno, I'm just kinda of tired of the advantage mechanic. 

It was cool the first 50 times.

I think the ability to call down the rest of the party's at-wills is essential. The thing the warlord does that sets him apart from the other classes is his action amplification abilities. In addition to being his schtick it gives him tactical flexibility allowing him to extend his influence beyond his immediate area and really driving home how important it is for the warlord to think about the whole battle.

Something That wasn't in 4e much but really seems right for the class is the war cry, rallying call, or rebel yell. This would admittedly be similar to various bardic or barbarian abilities of the past, but I don't see it as being exclusive territory.

NOt unless they bring out a Dhovakin class.

Now another thign that's important is that the warlord has to be compatible with every class. One of the major fails of the 3e era leader types was their reliance on having other weapon users around to provide offensive punch. The warlord has to be able to make a party of all wizards or all clerics appreciate having him around.
I dunno, I'm just kinda of tired of the advantage mechanic. 

It was cool the first 50 times.

I think the ability to call down the rest of the party's at-wills is essential. The thing the warlord does that sets him apart from the other classes is his action amplification abilities. In addition to being his schtick it gives him tactical flexibility allowing him to extend his influence beyond his immediate area and really driving home how important it is for the warlord to think about the whole battle.

Something That wasn't in 4e much but really seems right for the class is the war cry, rallying call, or rebel yell. This would admittedly be similar to various bardic or barbarian abilities of the past, but I don't see it as being exclusive territory.

NOt unless they bring out a Dhovakin class.

Now another thign that's important is that the warlord has to be compatible with every class. One of the major fails of the 3e era leader types was their reliance on having other weapon users around to provide offensive punch. The warlord has to be able to make a party of all wizards or all clerics appreciate having him around.

Okay, I think any class would appreciate being able to take an action, so maybe...
"As their action, a Warlord may allow one ally they can see, that can hear them, to use their reaction to take an action."
This allows the Warlord to use their action to allow the wizard to cast a spell or the fighter to swing a sword. But it's kind of like a cleric that has to use their turn to heal, so a warlord attack that triggers actions in others would be the way to go...
Three things though.

1.) This needs to improve some how over the course of levels, maybe add a bonus, maybe in the form of encounter or daily boosts, or other powers that can be used in conjunction with this. Otherwise it's just the same as the pre-4 cleric boring, the warlord needs to do something besides just trade out his action for someone elses, otherwise why not just have an extra cleric or wizard along?

2.) This needs to be careful with the unlimited nature of the WYTAA rules.

3.) Not all classes get the same value from an action, mages for example have a much greater potential for mayhem with a blank check like  taking an action. That's one of the reasons I specified the at-will. 
Three things though.

1.) This needs to improve some how over the course of levels, maybe add a bonus, maybe in the form of encounter or daily boosts, or other powers that can be used in conjunction with this. Otherwise it's just the same as the pre-4 cleric boring, the warlord needs to do something besides just trade out his action for someone elses, otherwise why not just have an extra cleric or wizard along?

2.) This needs to be careful with the unlimited nature of the WYTAA rules.

3.) Not all classes get the same value from an action, mages for example have a much greater potential for mayhem with a blank check like  taking an action. That's one of the reasons I specified the at-will. 

So, the action grant needs more specifics.
"When the Warlord hits with an attack, they may allow one ally they can see, that can hear them, to use their reaction to either cast a cantrip or make a weapon attack."

But now, this puts the fighter ally way ahead of the wizard ally, as the fighter's expertise presumably  refreshed at the beginning of the warlord's turn. Hmmm...

EDIT:

"A Warlord may use his action to allow one ally they can see, that can hear them, to use their reaction take an action. Weapon attacks may add the Warlord's Expertise (or whatever) Dice."

"When the Warlord hits with an attack, the Warlord can allow one ally they can see, that can hear them, to use their reaction to cast a cantrip, make a weapon attack, or move."

"A Warlord may use their reaction to allow an ally they can see, that can hear them, to have advantage when making an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw."

How's that?
What if the warlord class is like the fighter, but with abilities that support his allies instead
of himself?

Instead of maneuvers, he get tactics. Offensive, Defensive, and Supportive. 

Offensive: This means he is leading the charge. He's the follow me guy. 
Defensive: Stick close to him and you will be protected. Fights agaisnt fear and give AC bonus.
Supportive: Give bonus to your healing, increase your spell DC, and can make you spend
an HD to heal yourself in combat(for dat 4e favor). 

What you guys think?

Here's what I want the Warlord to do:

1: Grant advantage to the next attack made by an ally (and the Warlord also attacks). 

2: Give an ally a bonus "free" attack with extra damage.

3: Grant bonuses (or advantage) to initiative checks.

4: Give an ally a "free" move (and the Warlord also attacks).

5: Give an ally a save against an ongoing effect (and the Warlord also attacks).

6: Use an interrupt to reduce damage to an ally.

7: Heal an ally of HP damage (and the Warlord also attacks).

8: Improve out-of-combat healing.

9: Allow and ally to move and attack off-turn.

10: Grant an ally a "free" attack with NO bonuses (and the Warlord also attacks).

11: Give an ally a bonus to damage on their next attack (and the Warlord also attacks).

If too many of those were missing I'd not be interested in playing the class.

I'd like to see some kind of encounter pool of uses for more powerful effects as well as at-will abilities. 

I'm happy enough for there to be "must be seen or heard (and share a language)" restrictions on at least some of these abilities.

I'm curious to see what the design team are working on right now, though (unfortunately) not very hopeful.
Ported across from the last thread, because I think it was important to keep in mind:

Mearls has clarified that his comments about the Cleric and Hit Dice were in reference to the Basic game.

So Hit Dice are likely still in the Standard game and there will not be an expectation for Clerics as healers (if only because there will be other class options with healing available, possibly the Warlord but certainly the Druid and Bard).

He has also tweeted that there is a Warlord in development who is focused on action manipulation, enhancement and mitigation.

So we are likely to see the Warlord, probably in Standard and it also seems likely that there will be expansion options available in the (often mentioned though not yet seen) Tactical module.

The comments which have been made suggest that while Basic will operate under a "HP as meat" assumption that this will not extend to the Standard game, or certainly not into the Advanced options.  This further suggests that options for Warlord (and other non-magical) healing will be available through one or more of the optional HP and Healing subsystems. 
Some mostly unrelated to each other thoughts -

One of the properties that Advantage has is that every game element that grants advantage makes every other game element that grants Advantage worse, since they don't stack. I'd be hesitant to make advantage-granting a class's core schtick, because I think that struggling to eke out advantage works best. As a class that makes other people better, the Warlord will almost certainly end up having some source of advantage-granting, but perhaps it can be more situational than just handed out freely once a turn.

I know that the Lazylord is a very popular concept and something that I think a lot of people would like to see the Warlord capable of, and that Commander's Strike is perhaps the iconic Warlord ability, but I'd also like to explore the Warlord as itself a combatant; I think that that's important too.

While the skill die as a bonus to damage is difficult to make work, it's deadly serious as a bonus to hit. That could be the default implementation. It could also be used to grant move actions, to allow people to stand up for free, to cut short ongoing conditions, grant new saving throws, etc.

One sort of idea seed I've been thinking of is the "Talking is a Free Action" idea. The idea is that the Warlord spends his round basically being a lame fighter, but can also issue one command each round. Yes, I know that this is verging into minor action territory, but it's what you get when you sign up to be a warlord. A warlord might know several commands, or they might automatically know their entire command list. (Probably the former.) Commands do warlordy things. Some commands might be conditional, like you can only issue the command before you attack, or only after you attack, or only if you hit or only if you miss or only if you're outnumbered or whatever. That's not vital, but the design space is there. Some commands might be once-per-encounter, on the grounds that they rely on surprise or whatever. I think it's okay for commands to be pretty powerful, since they're the warlord's main thing under this scheme.

Here's some examples of commands -

"Move Out!" - Command - Prerequisites - None.
Effect: An ally who can see or hear you take a move action.

"Spike 'Em!" - Command - Prerequisites - You hit or missed an enemy with an attack this turn.
Effect: An ally who is adjacent to the enemy you hit or missed makes an attack against that enemy. If the ally hits, the attack deals no damage, but the enemy is knocked prone.

"He's Yours!" - Command - Prerequisites - You attempted to use the "Aid Another" action to give an ally a bonus to hit an enemy this turn; you can use command even if your attempt failed. (This is not currently an action in Next, but we know what it does.)
Effect: That ally can immediately make an attack against that enemy. (Possibly using the reaction, if that's important for balance.)

That one's for the lazylords, of course.

"Follow me in!" - Command - Prerequisites - You moved towards an enemy this turn and attacked it.
Effect: Allies who move towards that enemy and attack it during their next turn do not provoke opportunity attacks during that movement, and get a +X bonus to the attack. (The +x can be the skill die, if you want to work that in.)

I like abilities like that, because by giving other players incentives to do things, the warlord player can sort of "command" the other characters without explicitly telling people what to do.

If you want, you can give a bonus for having taken one of several "warlord specializations", similar to 4e's Tactical/Inspiring/Resourceful/Bravura options.

"Attack!" - Command - Prerequisites - None.
Effect: Your allies get +2 (or whatever) to their attack rolls until your next turn.
Bravura Presence - You recieve the bonus as well.
Spell Commander - When an ally uses a spell targeting one or more enemies before your next turn that requires a save, increase the save DC by 2 (or whatever).

--------------

EDIT: Here's another little seed of an idea - Rather than lasting a round, some Warlord abilities could grant THP and then last until the THP are replaced or removed. There is an excellent chance that this is stupid, swingy and feel-bad, but it's an idea.

Embolden - An ally gains X THP. Until these THP are lost or the ally gets THP from another source, they get a +Y bonus to attacks. (This can either cost an action to use or not, depending on the magnitude of X and Y. It should probably require attacking an enemy to trigger it, so you can't enter a battle "charged up".)

The idea here is that instead of looking at the Warlord as the guy who gets stuck with THP-style healing (if that's the way we want to roll), we turn that into a mechanic, where once the warlord emboldens you, as long as you stay emboldened (that is, don't suffer any setbacks, like getting hit in the face too hard), you're a better fighter. This could even be a baseline warlord mechanic, with the effect of being emboldened varying with your Warlord Presence (if that's a mechanic).

EDIT BONUS: It's probaby too late to save it, but Next's re-de-unification of attack mechanics into "attacker rolls" and "defender rolls" makes writing buff classes kind of annoying.

Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
I see the Warlord having 3 main aspects

1) The Ability to use their action to make an ally or enemy perform an action or movement

2) The ability to add their skill dice to their allies' actions as a reaction

3) The ability to roll their skill die in place of an ally's skill die.

(1) is simple. The warlord uses an action to let an ally attack, defend, or withdraw. The defend part could be a get damage mitigation method with the +4 AC.

Commander's Strike: As an action, the warlord can let an ally disengage, defend, or attack an enemy. The warlord and the ally must both be in reach of the enemy.

(2) is more complex but not too much. This is essentially add Skill Die feet to an ally's speed, add Skill Die+INT Mod damage to an ally's damage. Add skill die + CHA mod to an ally's saving throw.

(3) is Skill Mastery for everyone but with some sort of limit since everyone gets it.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

The warlord could focus on "moments of clarity" as one type of mechanic and re-introduce the minor action from 4E as a feature granted. This would cover the warlord granting minor effects like an adding extra movement, avoiding an opportunity attack, drinking a potion, resetting a skill die, removing disadvantage, or other minor affects.

For major effects like granting extra attacks, healing, leadiing a charge, or defending a fallen foe, the warlord can sacrifice their own actions. Most likely healing would be a temporary buff in these instances.

There is also an out of combat aspect of the warlord where they help the party recover and regroup. Most likely that is where the warlord would extend non-magical healing by granting a second wind, extend the use of a healing kit, add an insight (skill die) or intitiative bonus to the group as they prepare for the next encounter, etc.
I'd like a warlord with auras like the marshall, to take care of the range of all morale abilities, and to give nice general buffs.

I'd like him to provide damage reduction and allow allies to take reactions to move, take an at-will action, reduce the damage of an attack, or boosting their places in the initiative order.

With weapons, I'd like him to provide protection, by reducing the target offensive potential, and openings to reactive allies.

I'd like him to be able to heal allies through an aura, but only if he has a 14+ Charisma sore, and then also be able to derive his HPs bonuses from Charisma instead of Constitution.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

Without healing, how does the Warlord fit into a 4-man party? Most parties want a healer(Cleric), front line hitter(Fighter), nuker/utility magic(Wizard), skill specialist(Rogue). A non-healing Warlord doesn't really replace any of the 4 classic roles, and taking the Warlord instead of one of them leaves a big hole in the party. The Warlord is one of my favorite classes, I'd hate to see it relegated to ill-fitting 5th wheel. 

In addition, I love the concept of martial healing, and particularly what it represents: that HP aren't meat, they are truly abstract like every editions rules have stated and the healing rules treat them as such. I'd really miss it if D&D abandoned that.
...whatever
I imagine the warlord will be like a bard in the respect that the larger the party is the more valuable they become. The cleric would be best at single target heals, or removing blindness, curses, etc. while the warlord would focus on extra actions, or damage mitigation. Their focus is winning the combat sooner, being able to react better, and overall saving the party from extra damage that a cleric could not prevent. The bard performs a similar function but in a different fashion focusing on buffs for the entire party througn song or recitations and access to mulitple types of spells (arcane, divine, ritual). They would also have access to lore to give the party the edge when dealing with the unknown.
I see a 2 part warlord.

1) Battle Plan:  Party wide buff, representing training, planning, moral boosting speaches, ect.
*+Wis to inititive.
*Move 5' when you roll inititive.
*+Dex to stealth.
*Bonus vs specific attack (fear, fire, ect).
*+Int damage.
*+Cha hit point.

2) Battle Commands:  At-will manuvers.  It doesn't even need to be skill die based, just at-will powers manuvers like 4e.
*Grant an action, using the allies reaction.  (all warlords should get this).
*As a reaction, give advantage to a single attack (offense or defense).
*Attack an enemy, and give him vulnerability.
*Attack an enemy and let someone move 5'.

Obviously not balanced, not intended that you get all of them, and not a complete list.

As far as healing..  How about, allies have Cha minimum on hit dice rolls?  It's nothing that couldn't of happen naturally, but people just truck on a bit longer because you are there.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I see a 2 part warlord.

1) Battle Plan:  Party wide buff, representing training, planning, moral boosting speaches, ect.
*+Wis to inititive.
*+Dex to stealth.
*+Int damage.
*+Cha hit point.

2) Battle Commands:  At-will manuvers.  It doesn't even need to be skill die based, just at-will powers manuvers like 4e.
*Grant an action, using the allies reaction.  (all warlords should get this).
*As a reaction, give advantage to a single attack (offense or defense).
*Attack an enemy, and give him vulnerability.
*Attack an enemy and let someone move 5'.

Obviously not balanced, not intended that you get all of them, and not a complete list.

As far as healing..  How about, allies have Cha minimum on hit dice rolls?  It's nothing that couldn't of happen naturally, but people just truck on a bit longer because you are there.

I actually think interaction with hit dice are the way to handle Warlord healing. They should be able to make the mechanic quite awesome in some way.

On the issue of buffs, I notice the designers are talking about giving martials more attacks rather than martial damage dice.  For the warlord, I can see this as beign able to grant more allies free attacks.  So the warlord may get a power like:

Warlord's Command.  You have the ability to expose openings that allow your allies to make an attack or move that they otherwise would not have been able to manage.  Choose one of the following powers:

Direct by Example: If you hit a creature with a weapon attack, spend one or more tactics dice (like martial damage dice) and roll them.  For each die you spend, choose one ally that can understand your speech.  That ally can as a reaction either cast a cantrip that requires an attack roll or make a weapon attack against that creature.  The ally adds the result of the tactics die assigned to that ally to any attack roll for that attack. 

Strategic Direction: As part of your action, spend one or more tactics dice and roll them.  Assign each die you spend to one ally who can understand you.  Each ally can move a number of squares equal to five times the result of the die (but not more than the creature's current speed) without provoking opportunity attacks. An ally who chooses to take the benefit of this move may not use its next action to hustle.

Expose by Example: If you hit an enemy with a weapon attack, roll one or more of your tactics dice and add the result of the highest die to your damage. Any ally who hits that enemy before the enemy's next turn begins may add the next highest die result to that ally's damage. This continues until the enemy's next turn begins or all tactics dice have been spent.

Reactive Direction: If one or more of your allies is targeted by an effect that requires a saving throw, roll one or more tactics dice as a reaction.  Assign each die you roll to yourself or an ally who can understand you. The assigned character may add the result of the die to the saving throw against the triggering effect.

Strategic Defense: If you are missed by an enemy's weapon attack, spend one or more tactics dice as a reaction. Assign each die you roll to yourself or an ally who can udnerstand you. The result of the assigned die is added to that target's AC until the end of your next turn.

I imagine tactics dice scale from 1d6 at 1st level to something like 4d6 at 12th level.

As for martial healing, I am rather indifferent and think it was a minor part of the warlord's arsenal. That said, I could see the following power:

Inspiring Word: If an ally you can see and who can understand you rolls a Hit Die, as a reaction you can spend one or more of your tactics dice and roll them.  The result of the Hit Die roll cannot be lower than the result of your highest tactics die rolled.

This is a rather wan power.  I'd rather just let the character add the result of the highest die to the Hit Die roll.
I would welcome a warlord sans martial healing.  I always thought the idea of granting bonuses and manuevers to allies was cool.   So hopefully whatever they do they at least offer the flexibility to go either way on that class.   I like some of the ideas above.
@wrecan:  The "can't hussle" thing seems pretty clunky to me.  Either allow the movement to be free (probably limit it to 5'), or just have the ally not provoke on it's own turn, or both.

i.e.:  The ally does not provoke opperunity attacks for a turn, and can immidiatly move 5'. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

@wrecan:  The "can't hussle" thing seems pretty clunky to me.  Either allow the movement to be free (probably limit it to 5'), or just have the ally not provoke on it's own turn, or both. 

I like it.  The warlord grants off-turn action that doesn't provoke opprunity attacks, but you can't exceed double move over the entirety of the round.

Just for fun I thought I would quote a few of my favorite bits from an oldy but goody: 1953's FM22-100 Department of the Army Field Manual "Command And Leadership For The Small Unit Leader" and how it might apply to the Warlord in DnD.
you can see the whole thing here if you are interested, it is a quick read and full of great RP and Dev ideas:
www.cgsc.edu/carl/docrepository/FM22_100...

page 26, section 33: Teamwork
The duty of every leader includes the developmentof teamwork through the thorough training of his command, whether it be a squad, or an army group.This teamwork is the key to successful operation; it starts in the squad and carries through to the largest organization. Teamwork extends from person-to-person communications to mutually supporting fire. Every member of that team must understand where he and the employment of his weapons fit into the common effort of the unit. Failure to develop this teamwork through training will result in failure to reach the degree of combat effectiveness necessary for battle success.

*Note*
The impetus for effectively using one's PC falls on the shoulders of that PC's player, and I would say it is generally considered bad form to tell another player how to play his character, though I found through experience that certain players do enjoy the game more when they feel they have access to sound advice from their friends. My point here, is that class abilities that usurp control of other PCs might not be seen as fun for the other players if it is not handled in a discreet fashion, or results in an obvious enhancement. A Warlord could certainly roleplay many of these teamwork concepts, but that should never be necessary for a class to have an obvious mechanical impact. In my opinion, every Warlord worth his salt should improve his party's effectiveness from the moment he joins the party. This implies that he is using every bit of innate ability and learned technique to forge the strongest unit possible. This means a certain amount of effects that are always active. 

Person to Person Communication- While a Warlord is in the party, members of the party can pass simple non verbal commands to one another while in line of sight. These could potentially be very subtle, such that outside observers would be unaware that such communication has taken place.

Mutually Supporting Fire/Knowing Your Role- While a Warlord is in the party, at the onset of each combat, each member of the party can choose to have one of the following effects apply to them for the duration of the combat: (unbalanced numbers, but useful for illustrating a concept) +1 AC, +1 to hit with melee attacks, +1 to hit with ranged attacks, +1 to hit with magical attacks, or +1 to all skill checks.

page 50, section 55: Morale
Morale can be defined as the individual's state of mind-how he feels about himself, his fellow soldiers, army life in general, and all the other things that seem important to him. It is closely related to his needs. If the leader's actions in the training, operation, administration, and fighting of his unit satisfy the basic needs of his men, he will produce favorable attitudes in them. High morale gives the soldiers a feeling of confidence and well-being that enables him to face hardship with courage, endurance, and determination.

-and-

page 68, section 73: Prevention of Panic in Military Units
Troops in combat are under continual threat of destruction. Under such stress, they are subject to all of the anxieties and fears that lead to panic.Troops who are properly trained, organized, disciplined, and led are seldom subject to panic because they are confident of their ability to master any situation. The unit's capacity to resist fear and panic varies continually according to the morale and esprit and physical condition of the troops, its degree of tactical success, and the physical conditions of the battlefield. As a commander, you must sense the development of situations which troops interpret as critical and take action to eliminate the conditions which could cause panic.

A party wide bonus/advantage vs fear which could even be an immunity at high levels would be great at depicting a Warlord's ability to lead men into certain danger. "I'd follow him to Hell and back."

Party wide effects that trigger on bloodied, or comrade death could also show the effects of how good leadership can forge strong morale.  "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." 

page 84, ANALYSIS from Combat Example No. 5
...This leader was technically and tactically proficient because he planned his attack after a careful reconnaissance and after conferring with his tank commander. He set the example by leading the attack...

A party wide bonus to Initiative seems like an absolute must to me, and I would love to see Warlords be able to grant a more powerful surprise round. (Like Move and Attack vs just one or the other) Conversely, mitigating the effectiveness of an enemy surprise round would also be awesome, as a good commander is much less likely to lead his party into an ambush.

So there are a few ideas from the manual, maybe I'll dig up some more in the future!

Mellored had some interesting ideas for static abilities in his post:
*+Wis to inititive.
*+Dex to stealth.
*+Int damage.
*+Cha hit point.

I also agree with Mellored and others who see the need for at will abilities the Warlord can choose from to help direct the flow of battle. Some great suggestions up there, but it all starts with using your action to allow a party member to take an action, in my opinion.

1 square =1 yard = 1 meter. "Fits all playstyles" the obvious choice Orzel is the mayor of Ranger-town. Favored enemies for Rangers
58033128 wrote:
Seems like community isn't going to give up calling mapless "Theatre of the Mind".  In the interest of equal pretentiousness, I'd like to start a motion to refer to map combat as "Tableau Vivant".  

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I'm doing that thing we all abhor where somebody reads the OP and just jumps on in.
I'd like to see the Warlord get MDD and maneuvers which work as debuffs or buffs which are target dependent. Consider the Protector shield block. Instead the warlord could impose disadv for the target's next attack. Maybe the warlord could use a rallying strike maneuver such that allies in line of sight resist physical damage equal to his skill die and roll saves w/ a bonus equal to his skill die (or make that two different things). A last stand maneuver could allow an unconscious ally to get up and make an attack (but then fall back down--making them a more likely coup de grace target). I think the warlord as group coordinator /protector may fulfill the warlord ideal better than the 4e healer. Again, the OP abt active vs. Passive I hope would hold true for bards vs warlords. Bards do long term small passive buffs while warlords could rock big single shot protection / buffs. This is how I hope it will work.
Okay, back to work!
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
I think Warlords are one of the few martial characters for which daily abilities make perfect sense (more than the barbarian's rage).  One of the coolest things Warlords do in 4e is engineer tremendous assaults and team-wide maneuvers. It's always their dailies that do this -- granting extra attacks and movement to allies while buffing them or debuffing the enemy. But martial powers kinda scare people, so here's what I'm thinking. All of you feel free to reel it in if it's too much:
Tactical Genius
As a commander, your most pensive moments on the battlefield occur in the back of your head as you swing your axe and raise your shield. Without thinking, you're watching your allies and foes at all times. In many battles, there is a precise moment -- a single point at which one side is entirely exposed and the other could take advantage. It is seldom seen, but those that know to take advantage of this precise point of weakness can turn defeats into victories, and victories into routs.
Effect: Once per day, you may use a Tactic on each ally that can see or hear you, as part of a normal action. Until the action is resolved, your (insert whatever) dice refresh at the end of each Tactic.

Then you'd get more of them per day. Alternatively, it could have some semi-difficult requirement that you have to set up (like all the enemies having disadvantage) so that its fluff has more of a relationship with its mechanics. Thoughts?
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
Hopefully this does not oversteps greatfrito's bounds for discussion of healing. We know that non-magical healing will be a module and that the current plans for the Warlord do not include in-combat healing. Let's imagine how the non-magical in combat healing module might work, and then design a Warlord feature that does not heal, but could boost non-magical  healing (for those using that module). For example:

Quick Breath (an option made available in the non-magical healing module that anyone can use): As an action, make a constitution check against a DC of 10. With success, you may spend one HD. For every point you exceed the DC, gain one additional HP.  If you are in an enemy's reach, this check is made with disadvantage.

Bolster Ally (a Warlord class feature): Spend a [warlord class resource] to allow an ally that you can see and that can hear you to gain a bonus equal to [warlord class resource value] on its next ability check or saving throw.

Bolster Ally does not do a single drop of healing, and is quite useful in many circumstances. But if it is used in conjunction with the Quick Breath action offered in the non-magical healing module would significantly enhance healing.

So, actually read through. I like the idea of Commands. They're just Maneuvers which are also Words of Power. I'd say add some kinda caveat that a warlord can't use two commands in one turn. I really dig this idea and hope WotC are going in this direction. I have no issue w/ embolden and/or THP, but I'd rather see situational buffs, teamwork maneuvers, and debuffs be what warlords rock.
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
Warlords Here's mine, copied from the ENWORLD forums a few months back. It's largely out of date now, but there might be ideas worth mining here still.

Warlords are masters of tactical combat. They are formidable martial combatants in their own right, but their true power comes from their ability to forge a group of adventurers into a true fighting force.
Key Abilities: Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence. Strength and Dexterity determine the warlord's AC and proficiency with weapon attacks, while Intelligence dictates the warlord's starting and maximum number of Tactics known.

Creating a Warlord
When you create a character whose first class is warlord, you gain these benefits.
Ability Adjustment: +1 to your Strength, Dexterity, or Intelligence score
Starting Hit Points: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Armor and Shield Proficiencies: All
Weapon Proficiencies: All

Code:

Lvl  Hit Dice  Atk  Morale  Tactics  Class Features
1 1d8 +1 2/day 2/rest Drills, Combat Tactics
2 2d8 +1 2/day 2/rest
3 3d8 +1 3/day 2/rest New drill
4 4d8 +2 3/day 3/rest
5 5d8 +2 4/day 3/rest

Class Features
A warlord gains the following class features.
Hit Dice: 1d8 per warlord level
Hit Points: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per warlord level gained.

Level 1: Drills
The warlord has drilled tirelessly in a number of maneuvers that aid his allies in combat and help fuse them into a deadly fighting force. These drills can be repeated as often as desired. Unless noted otherwise, drills are actions.
At first level, the warlord knows Triage and two other drills; he learns an additional drill of his choice every third level (3, 6, 9).

Level 1: Combat Tactics
The warlord has studied numerous clever tactics designed to enhance the effectiveness of his unit in combat. These tactics must be carefully plotted out and discussed with the party before the fighting starts. This means that however many tactics the warlord knows, he must choose only two of them to prepare for each combat. This increases to 3 at 4th level and 4 at 8th. When he has a short rest, he can use the downtime to plot out new maneuvers for the next combat with his party. Any member of the party not present and conscious for the short rest will not be able to participate in or receive benefits from the warlord's tactics in the following battle.

The party can use one tactic at a time; the warlord can declare a starting tactic during the time when he is plotting tactics, and can change tactics once per round on his turn. (This is not an action.) He can switch between the tactics he has prepared as many times as he deems appropriate.

In his detailed knowledge of the ways of combat, the warlord recognizes that morale is often the key to victory. An "inspiration" is a type of tactic typically used out of combat, which generally takes some time to perform but does not need to be prepared in advance. These inspirations cost "Morale." Morale represents the limit of the warlord's ability to inspire confidence and teamwork in his unit, and can only be recharged with a long rest. A warlord has 2 Morale Points per day at first level, increasing by 1 at each odd level (3 at 3rd, 4 at 5th, etc).

Every warlord knows the Inspiration Dig Deep and at least 1 other tactic of his choice. If his Int modifier is positive, he adds it to the number of tactics he knows at first level. The warlord automatically learns a new tactic every level. He may also learn additional tactics from books of strategy, scrolls, or directly from other warlords and prominent tacticians; the value of these tactics is widely recognized, however, and the warlord can expect to pay a hefty price in gold or in favors if he wants to learn a new tactic. It takes at least 24 total hours of study, drilling, and practice to master a new tactic in all its intricacies.

The total number of tactics a warlord can effectively keep track of is equal to his Intelligence score. 

List of Drills
Triage
His vast experience on the battlefield allows the warlord to apply poultices and salves with military efficiency. When you use this ability on an adjacent ally, he may spend one of his Hit Dice to recharge hit points as if you were using a Healer's Kit outside of combat. At third level, he may spend up to 2 HD this way, increasing by an additional HD every 3 levels.

Distracting Strike
You make a melee or ranged attack against an enemy; if you hit, you deal half damage, but the enemy receives Disadvantage on their next attack before the beginning of your next turn.

Aid Ally
You grant an adjacent ally advantage on one roll of their choice before the beginning of your next turn.

Clever Blow
You can make a melee or ranged attack adding your Intelligence modifier to the attack roll in place of Strength or Dexterity. (Damage modifiers are unchanged.)

Snap Decision
Once per round, you may change the party's tactic as a reaction even when it is not your turn. 

List of Tactics
Dig Deep (Inspiration)
You inspire an ally to channel reserved they didn't even know they had, granting them one extra Hit Die. This Hit Die disappears if it isn't spent by the time the warlord takes a long rest. You may target two allies at 3rd level and an additional ally every 3 levels after that; however, you can't inspire yourself with this ability.

Forced March (Inspiration)
Your military discipline encourages your party to move more efficiently, covering long overland distances twice as quickly as normal.

Group Presence (Inspiration)
With your guidance and careful rehearsal, the party acts in careful accord even in social situations. All members of your party gain advantage on Diplomacy, Intimidate, Barter, Bluff, and Insight checks for the next 10 minutes.

Duck and Weave
Your allies may move through enemy squares. In addition, instead of getting advantage on attacks of opportunity against your party, enemies receive disadvantage.

Nova Strike
As an action, the warlord may designate a single target to his allies; all allies deal +1d6 damage against that target. (This damage increases to +2d6 at level 5 and +3d6 at level 8.) The warlord may not designate another target until the first is down or has surrendered.

Back to Back
Enemies receive disadvantage on attacks against a party member who is adjacent to at least one other party member.

Phalanx
Allies adjacent to the warlord (or adjacent to an ally who is) receive advantage on all saving throws and deal +1d6 damage on melee attacks. (Damage increases to +2d6 at 3rd level, +3d6 at 6th, and +4d6 at 9th.)

Stay Focused
The party receives advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma-based saving throws as long as the warlord is conscious and within 50 feet.

Rush To Strike
The party receives a 10ft bonus to their movement speed.

Blood Harvest
Whenever a member of the party lands a killing blow on an enemy, they receive 1d4 temporary hit points. (THP are the first hit points lost when the character takes damage, but they disappear after five minutes if they are not lost.) This increases to 2d4 at 4th level and 3d4 at 8th level.

Hold Your Ground
Any ally who does not move from their position during their turn receives advantage on their first attack roll that turn.

Fire in the Hole
Through careful drilling that allows spellcasters and their teammates to work in close symphony, your spellcasters have learned how to avoid friendly fire. Allies can choose to exclude targets that fall within the effect of any area spells or effects they cast. 

On My Target
Whenever the warlord makes a melee or ranged attack, he can grant one ally the opportunity to also make a ranged or melee attack against the same target as a reaction.
So, actually read through. I like the idea of Commands. They're just Maneuvers which are also Words of Power. I'd say add some kinda caveat that a warlord can't use two commands in one turn. I really dig this idea and hope WotC are going in this direction. I have no issue w/ embolden and/or THP, but I'd rather see situational buffs, teamwork maneuvers, and debuffs be what warlords rock.

Oh yeah, it was totally my intent that you'd only be able to issue a single command each turn.

Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
Having dumped a huge post (which I hope people don't hate me for), I'll add some updated ideas on how the warlord could work:

1. Baseline melee ability similar to cleric: IMO all warlords should be decent at combat, but part of what differentiates them from fighters is that it's not their main schtick. So I like the idea of them having cleric-level MDD as a BASELINE, with the possibility that certain builds/kits/schemes/whatever boost that up.

2. Able to focus on Str OR Dex weapons: I think the archer dude from The Avengers would make a great warlord!

3. Powerful Reactions: A warlord that can use his reactions to protect allies or grant extra attacks/movement would feel very useful on the field of battle. That said, if his only healing/mitigation takes the form of reactions, you'd have to be careful not to overburden them. 
What if a warlord is like a magical fighter that can magically inspire you to hit
harder, smarter, or faster? Every word he shouts is like a magic effect.
He might even be able to give order to the enemy! 
What if a warlord is like a magical fighter that can magically inspire you to hit harder, smarter, or faster? Every word he shouts is like a magic effect. He might even be able to give order to the enemy! 

What if a warlord is like a magical fighter that can magically inspire you to hit harder, smarter, or faster? Every word he shouts is like an magic effect. He might even be able to give order to the enemy! 

Grammar fix ;)
Yeah, what CallCrow just suggested is a Bard.

I want a non-magical tactical leader. 
A non-magical tactical leader....class

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

A non-magical tactical leader....class

Sure.

But in THIS thread I don't have to say that.

Or did you not bother to read the rules set out in the OP? 
Nah, I was just doing what the last two posters did but just didn't add one of these...

I like the Warlord class but I also like the Commander Specialty.  Tactical leadership should not be limited to class but too character concept also

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

So yeah, I like the idea of the warlord prepping "tactics" in advance and then switching between them in combat, like a sarge or team captain calling out formations. Each tactic could give specific buffs. On top of those, the warlord would have at-will "drills" to do the bulk of his work of granting actions, healing/mitigating, etc.

The "tactics" part isn't from the 4e warlord but seemed fun.
Nah, I was just doing what the last two posters did but just didn't add one of these...

I like the Warlord class but I also like the Commander Specialty.  Tactical leadership should not be limited to class but too character concept also

Sure.

And when you say that you don't sound like a prat.

Unilked team "fixed" (and your first post). 
So yeah, I like the idea of the warlord prepping "tactics" in advance and then switching between them in combat, like a sarge or team captain calling out formations. Each tactic could give specific buffs. On top of those, the warlord would have at-will "drills" to do the bulk of his work of granting actions, healing/mitigating, etc. The "tactics" part isn't from the 4e warlord but seemed fun.

Well the 4E Warlord did have the Initiative bonus.

But the idea of swapping that out for different "tactics" is a good one.

Still, the need for at-will and (either) encounter or daily "big bang" actions is clear. 

Sure.

And when you say that you don't sound like a prat.

Unilked team "fixed" (and your first post). 

Sure.

Sign In to post comments