Feat Recommendations for Controller Wizard

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a control orb wizard build for a campaign starting mid heroic.  Expertise feat for free on character creation, otherwise standard rules.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Nitha Ravenshield, level 5 Human
Wizard (Arcanist)
Build: Control Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery Option: Orb of Imposition
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Parentage - Noble (Perception class skill)
Theme: Order Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 19, WIS 17, CHA 12
STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 16, CHA 12

AC: 17 Fort: 16 Ref: 19 Will: 20
HP: 38 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS Arcana +13, History +11, Insight +10, Perception +10, Religion +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +2, Athletics +1, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +5, Intimidate +3, Nature +5, Stealth +2, Streetwise +3, Thievery +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Order Adept Attack: Argent Rain
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Wizard Utility: Mage Hand
Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
Wizard Utility: Chameleon's Mask
Wizard Utility: Suggestion
Wizard At-Will 1: Beguiling Strands
Wizard At-Will 1: Winged Horde
Wizard Encounter 1: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Wizard Daily 1: Horrid Whispers
Wizard Daily 1: Sleep
Wizard Utility 2: Charm of Protection (lvl 5 Order Adept utility)
Arcana Utility 2: Arcane Mutterings
Wizard Utility 2: Shield
Wizard Encounter 3: Blissful Ignorance
Wizard Daily 5: Visions of Avarice
Wizard Daily 5: Tasha's Forcible Conscription

FEATS
Free Feat: Orb Expertise
Level 1: Improved Initiative
Level 1:Ritual Caster
Level 1: Beguiling Enchantment
Level 2: Battlewise
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Accurate orb)

ITEMS
Spellbook, Shimmering Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1, Defensive Staff +1 x1(purely defense bonus purposes), Accurate orb of Impenetrable Escape +2 x1, Amulet of Seduction +1 x1 ====== End ======

My questions relate primarily to my feat  selection so far.  Improved Initiative and Battlewise help me go first, which I should like as a controller.  Setting the battle field up to my liking and what not.  But should I put off getting one or both until a little later in my career?  Are there any critical things I should be grabbing before them?

Superior Implement Training just helps me hit more.  +10 to hit NADS at lvl 5 should be fairly comfortable I think.  2 (half lvl) + 5 (Int) +2 (Enchant) + 1 (Superior Implement).

My big question right now is, is beguiling enchantment better than unarmored agility for this build?  I have tons of charm attacks, and +2 to all defenses is better than +2 to AC only.  But its only against people I have hit lately.  Or maybe there is a feat I should be choosing that is superior to both options I am currently considering.

I also would welcome any other reccomendations.  I'm not tied to theme at all, and background was chosen just to give me Perception as a class skill.  I haven't really set on a PP or ED yet either.
Enlarge spell: You don't care about the drop in damage, since your job as a controller is to spread those riders (and theoretically you can get the damage back if they're clumped enough, I guess).
At level 5 I only have 1 at-will (winged horde) and 2 encounter powers (Horrid Whispers and Argent Rain from my theme) that even roll for damage.  Although an at will burst 2 that frees my teammates to move without worrying about OA's is very tempting...
Pretty sure you can't use the feat Enlarge Spell to enlarge a power that does not have a damage roll. So in your case, that feat is really not a good pick.  Charm wizards aren't going to pick up many powers that do.  

You have a superior implement, you have expertise, you have initiative.  Honestly your feats are fine.  You're only level 5 so you're limited, it's normal.  You could drop improved initiative for unarmored agility if you want a boost to AC which is targeted more often during heroic, but it's not required.  Your character is solid.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Pretty sure you can't use the feat Enlarge Spell to enlarge a power that does not have a damage roll. So in your case, that feat is really not a good pick.  Charm wizards aren't going to pick up many powers that do.

You can’t use this feat on a power that doesn’t roll dice for damage.

Says it right in the feat.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
there you go then  
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Not dealing much damage means you absolutely have to be doing hard control, stacking save penalties, and have a party that is capable of picking up your slack in damage. Until Late Paragon/Epic that is, but "Controllers suck in Epic anyway".
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Yeah, just rely upon the defenders for damage. A few dominates, forced movement, and forced attacks is really "lame" in epic, so its important to always rely upon defenders for most of your party damage. ;)
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Until Late Paragon/Epic that is, but "Controllers suck in Epic anyway".

lolwut?
Until Late Paragon/Epic that is, but "Controllers suck in Epic anyway".

lolwut?

I'm guessing the intended air quotes are for high op games, in which your strikers should be removing pieces from the board before you even get a chance to fulfill your dreams of Chessmaster. Dead is the best status effect after all. Well, except Dominated (Save Ends) with OoI.
I believe it also refers to the recent trend of Epic LFR mods to have creatures designed by vengeful DMs, with multiple condition-immunities and/or ways to remove effects.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
It may also be sarcastically Zath, Keithric, and I played 3 controllers at a table. Full of win.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
It may also be sarcastically Zath, Keithric, and I played 3 controllers at a table. Full of win.

At that point, knowing the type of characters you guys would bring, I'd just call the mod as a DM   "Well shlt guys, my monsters are NEVER going to get to act, so jsut take the XP, treasure bundle, and gold, and let's go watch a movie".

+1.

If you ever want to see a DM cry, play at a table with 3 reasonably opp'd, high initiative controllers. Not necessarily even crazy stuff.

There was one LFR mod where I didn't even realize I had played the mod until the 2nd or 3rd combat. The 1st combat was called because every opponent was prone, slowed, dazed, and/or immobilized, out of range 10, and in burst 1 formation before they got to go. At best, they could have sacrificed their turn to get to burst 2 formation.

That's how bad it was.

+1.

If you ever want to see a DM cry, play at a table with 3 reasonably opp'd, high initiative controllers. Not necessarily even crazy stuff.

There was one LFR mod where I didn't even realize I had played the mod until the 2nd or 3rd combat. The 1st combat was called because every opponent was prone, slowed, dazed, and/or immobilized, out of range 10, and in burst 1 formation before they got to go. At best, they could have sacrificed their turn to get to burst 2 formation.

That's how bad it was.

I suddenly remember this time when we had a party comprised of a warden, wizard, seeker I think, and invoker, and the DM pulled out 10+ (I remember it being 30+, but my mind might be playing tricks on me memory) non-minion berzerking barbarians (with four artillery backup) in one go. Suffice to say, it did not end well for the Warden and the monsters, as the latter was controlled and nuked to oblivion, and the former... well, the former ended up falling after he took way too many hits when all enemies went from full to bloodied in one round...

I think he meant us to run away, but clearly that's not what happened.

A party of controllers can be pretty scary to deal with, regardless of level... 
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
I ran WATE1-6 for 5 controllers and a thief. I made one attack all mod...
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I ran WATE1-6 for 5 controllers and a thief. I made one attack all mod...

If they'd had a Ranger or Sorc you'd have made 0.

My comment was sarcastic indeed. Some people have apparently made that statement for some unknown moronic reason. While Glaedren is right, you don't bring a traditional controller to a rocket tag non-scaled game, thing is, that line between auto-win and auto-lose is very thin, and a DM can very quickly cross it when compensating for 2KPR strikers. Good controllers become necessary very quickly, there's a lot more to being a good controller than Wizard Dailies with -Fail penalties; forced movement, causing CA (due to dazed+ conditions), hit penalties, respectable damage, and OA enabling add to the conditions themselves to let Invokers and Wizards easily contribute an equal number of actions wasted as the top strikers.

@Jugg: Any DM that calls combats just because the PC's optimized well enough to auto-win once in a while doesn't deserve their dice.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

+1.

That's how bad it was.

The midnight Madness I did with Zelink was even worse.  3 controllers 3 defenders at AL 20. We played every encounter on a post-it note with every enemy being permanently helpless, auto-critted and at a -11 minimum to attacks on the rare chances they were allowed to attack.  Early in the mod the DM rolled a nat 20 at AL 20 and was swinging at 19 v AC.  -26 to hit is fun?
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Sign In to post comments