In my honest opinion:
- A fighter should be the primary force in combat.
- Magic is a rare wonder as are the creatures in the bestiary. Most people of the realm can live their entire lives without encountering any magic or monsters.
- A wizard should always be leery of casting spells for fear of needing them later. He stays out of trouble and relies on his staff or simple tricks. Wisdom is his strength. Using spells against common rabble is mostly avoided as a magic-user may be encountered later - the best defense against a wizard is another wizard.
- Some spells should have indefinite use, but never a combat spell (with the exeption of, perhaps, magic missile with the chance of missing and weak damage).
- Steps need to be taken backwards to avoid epic-style combat at lower levels.
It is important, to be sure, that these characters are above average in ability compared to the common peasant. But it is also important to keep in mind that these characters are only beginning their great adventure to become heroes.
An idea is only as good as the dice that back it up.
Thanks for making my 5e (Next) character sheet the most downloaded character sheet (any game or edition) on EnWorld! If you haven't seen it, download, comment, and rate it.