Soccer once again shows the rest of sport what sportsmanship is

78 posts / 0 new
Last post
Link

I do have to admit, though, dood's quote about it was friggin' hi-larious.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Man, if you ever watched or played soccer, you'd know that the one goal he scored probably was the only one of the game.
Maybe his only one this season....

Give the man a break, it's like winning at the lottery for him.
If it is like winning the lottery, he should get a few butane torches to celebrate.
Club Unión shot stopper Juan Flores appeared to feint shortly after collecting a shot.

He was faking, so it's ok. 
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Man, you can't crack on news agencies for errors like that anymore.  I mean, if the AP and Reuters accept it it must be ok, right?  Right?

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

"Football is for the living", not for half-sentient couch potatoes that need a goal every two minutes and a commercial break not to fall asleep while watching heavy guys passing an oblong object to each other using their hands and pretending it has anything to do with feet or balls
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
dood, soccer is seriously boring.  Nothing happens.  People who can't even control where the ball goes struggle for hours on a way too big for the game field to accidentally get the ball into the net.  It's terrible.  Fact.

Section Six Soldier

Clearly you haven't been watching Bradford City's League Cup run this season. Our matches against Arsenal and Aston Villa were the exact opposite of boring, and I imagine Sunday's final against Swansea will be just as exciting, if not more so.
Man, that post made me drowsy.
President of the OTTer Research Council on the Universe
Seriously you guys, I'd thought you'd revel in boring – you're Star Trek fans!
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
Link

I do have to admit, though, dood's quote about it was friggin' hi-larious.

i wonder why the ref did not blow the whistle?  The ref probably thought it was a flop....or maybe the match was fixed?...not that iI am saying soccer is shady.

Seriuosly though football (soccer) rules.  As soon as you pagans gain some class, you will be praising Europe, practicing corner kicks and walking to the store every once and a while.
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
Yeah, but apparently without some padding to protect your squishy bits and a goal every two minutes the game's not interesting enough
At least they're not defending baseball.
Yeah, but apparently without some padding to protect your squishy bits and a goal every two minutes the game's not interesting enough
At least they're not defending baseball.

I do not know, those lazy soccer players only play non-stop 90 minutes and do not display any tenacity or endurance.  Watching baseball players wallowing on the field is much more exciting.

Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
There's more action in 5 minutes of Star Trek than 90 minutes of soccer.
At least, Star Trek has some credible acting, and we expect the story to be rigged.

Make the field half its actual size, put on even bigger goal cages, pay some guys that can shoot straight, and we might have something.
Or, at the very least, give them a stick so they can beat on each other.
Football (yes football I am English so refuse to call in anything else) is the most watched sport world wide. The FA cup (English Knockout tourny) is the most watch cup in the world.

You can't argue with popularity, well you could be you'd be wrong.

I am willing to bet that Coronation Street has more viewings.
Football (yes football I am English so refuse to call in anything else) is the most watched sport world wide. The FA cup (English Knockout tourny) is the most watch cup in the world.

I'm pretty sure more people have seen Two Girls, 1 Cup.  I'm quite positive that more people have been entertained by 2G1C.  And the two most watched single sporting events in the world are the Super Bowl and Indianapolis 500.

FIFA has admitted that numbers have been massively exaggerated in some cases, and simply guessed in others.

You sure about that, bro?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
And the two most watched single sporting events in the world are the Super Bowl and Indianapolis 500.

Actually, the Champion's League final is the most watched single sporting event in the world. The Super Bowl comes second.
And the two most watched single sporting events in the world are the Super Bowl and Indianapolis 500.

Actually, the Champion's League final is the most watched single sporting event in the world. The Super Bowl comes second.

According to this, you're correct.  Of course, that's only four years out of date.  The Super Bowl has increased viewership by ~5 million in that time; what about soccer?
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Clearly you haven't been watching Bradford City's League Cup run this season. Our matches against Arsenal and Aston Villa were the exact opposite of boring, and I imagine Sunday's final against Swansea will be just as exciting, if not more so.

Oh?  And what were the scores of those games, if you don't mind? 

Seriuosly though football (soccer) rules.  As soon as you pagans gain some class, you will be praising Europe, practicing corner kicks and walking to the store every once and a while.

Yeah, yeah.  And we'll also have to stop brushing our teeth and eating food with any flavor, too.  The price just isn't worth it.  Oh, and not tipping waitresses and the like?  Totally classy, ace. 

I do not know, those lazy soccer players only play non-stop 90 minutes and do not display any tenacity or endurance.  Watching baseball players wallowing on the field is much more exciting.

Since when is watching people run entertaining?  I can run.  I bet the Boston Marathon is captivating to you, too.

dood, did you bother to read this before (or even after) you posted it?  I can't argue with popularity?  Justin Bieber called.  He said you have to love him cuz he's popular.  While you're at it, pick up a case of Bud Light cuz that's pretty popular, too.  Oh, and next time some soccer is on make sure there's no NASCAR race on at the same time.  Don't wanna be confused about which mega popular thing the masses have dicatated you watch, do ya? 

Srsly, yo.  Like, what the hell were you thinking?  People are stoopid.  Popularity is not a reliable indicator of quality.  Like, wow.  I'm actually astonished that anyone could be such a silly pants as to actually believe that - especially with the metric crapton of evidence to the contrary.  Are you feeling ok?  I think all that soccer has bored a hole into your brain. 

Section Six Soldier

According to this, you're correct.  Of course, that's only four years out of date.  The Super Bowl has increased viewership by ~5 million in that time; what about soccer?

Going by the figures listed in that link, ~40 million.

Oh?  And what were the scores of those games, if you don't mind?

City 1-1 Arsenal (City win 3-2 on penalties)
City 3-1 Villa
Villa 2-1 City (3-4 aggregate)

Of course, the scorelines rarely tell the whole story in football, hence the links to match reports.
And how many hours, exactly, did it take these powerhouses to score those whopping totals?

Section Six Soldier

The Super Bowl has increased viewership by ~5 million in that time; what about soccer?

Going by the figures listed in that link, ~40 million.

My goodness.  Hipster_Dog might be on to something.  It seems that English imperialism has caused a worldwide outbreak of stupid.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
And how many hours, exactly, did it take these powerhouses to score those whopping totals?

5 hours plus injury time (a few minutes per match), but as I said, the scoreline isn't the whole story.

Since when is watching people run entertaining?  I can run.  I bet the Boston Marathon is captivating to you, too.

Incidentally, I'd rather watch people run than stand around.
5 hours plus injury time (a few minutes per match), but as I said, the scoreline isn't the whole story.

You're right.  They don't adequately describe the futile attempts at controlling the ball and the melodramatic flopping.  Can't see that in a score alone.  ;)

Incidentally, I'd rather watch people run than stand around.

Incidentally, football players provide much more - and exciting - entertainment in 11 minutes than soccer players provide over the course of 5 miserable hours.  ;)

Section Six Soldier

Christ, I could watch a 7-4 baseball game in three hours!  And I wouldn't even have to worry about dying before, during, or after the game.  Or is that part of the excitement/story?
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
5 hours is the total time for all three matches. One match is 90 minutes long, or 2 hours if it goes to extra time.
Make the field half its actual size, put on even bigger goal cages, pay some guys that can shoot straight, and we might have something.

So you want everyone to feel important enough to be able to score and make available options simpler and limited?
I thought you guys here hated 4e.

So you want everyone to feel important enough to be able to score and make available options simpler and limited?

He's Canadian.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?

He's Canadian.

No, he's from Québec.

He's Canadian.

...he's from Québec.

Like I said - Canadian.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Christ, I could watch a 7-4 baseball game in three hours!

Why would you even want to watch 5 minutes of baseball?
 And I wouldn't even have to worry about dying before, during, or after the game.  Or is that part of the excitement/story?

That's not totally true. You're heart is clogged up with bacon fat, and who knows what els. You can die of a heart attack whether you're watching baseball or just watching yourself get fatter.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

Because it's still more entertaining than 5 minutes of soccer.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
You guys act as if the goals were the only interesting part of the game.
You're like children, really

There are no cheerleaders.

He's Canadian.

...he's from Québec.

Like I said - Canadian.

Why not Atlantian then?

Apology accepted. Now go shine my boots. Make them extra shinny cause Whedon's Space Cowboyz sucks. 

Because it's still more entertaining than 5 minutes of soccer.

I'm going to have to disagree on that. There is more action in five minutes of soccer than in five minutes of basseball. The only two guys that do anything in baseball are the pitcher and the catcher. They just thrw a ball to each other. It's like watching a telivised game of catch.
That being said, watching soccer isn't very exiciting either. So you wanting to watch one boring sport over another boring sport makes no sense. You may as well stab yourself in the face and then say you did it because it's better than stabbing yourself in the face.
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Wish I had time to post...heading out.

So yeah real football still rules, baseball sucks and Champions League is awesome.  

Not all English people are snaggle toothed and have no taste in food.  Some are more James Bond types as myself.

I run marathons, but I am not into watching dudes running.Smile