Gate-Combo Deck

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
The idea is the combo between Awakening, Crackling Perimeter.
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but I've tried to focus this for MP.

Special mention - Cheers to Jandrem for giving me an idea to go with.  Ta!
Hope you don't mind me pinching your idea and making a few changes?  Smile

Here's my initial list;
20 lands. 
4 Gruul Guildgate
4 Boros Guildgate
4 Selesnya Guildgate
4 other gates that have green or white
4 G or W basic lands. (cos gates are slow!) 

3 Wall of Blossoms
3 Wall of Omens
4 Gatecreeper Vine
3 flying defence, maybe Wall of Resistance or Wall of Tanglecord?
And one or two fun cards****

3 Draw, either Pretty Girls or Enchantress's Presence

2 Replenish
2 or 3 Expedition Map.
4 Sterling Grove
4 Crackling Perimeter
4 Awakening
3 Ghostly Prison
2 Hold the Gates
2 Island Sanctuary or Solitary Confinement (play once you have combo pieces in hand)
3 Oblivion Ring

A couple cards too many so far, and I haven't found the 20 lands to be too few as the deck has quite a low curve, draw and ways to dig for lands also.

**** Could be Eternal Witness, a beater like Primeval Titan or acceleration like Azusa, Lost but Seeking & Oracle of Mul Daya
I'm thinking of keeping this part low in numbers, as the Blossoms/Omens/Creeper seems stronger to get us going.

The point of this deck is that there isn't many cards that can prevent the damage, and in a large MP game the combo works fast.
You can bet it's gonna get you a lot of attention once the combo lands! 
For the cards that prevent the damage, we have O-Ring, provided its not Glacial Chasm!!  Is there a better option here? 
The issues I have so far are lack of any lifegain effects in case I get pumped.

So what can we do to make this deck better?
And how would you tweak the list for a little life gain without diluting our defence?

Cheers boys and girls.

P.S.
(I'm still in two minds as to whether I should try making the deck even more comboey, popping in 4x Burgeoning for really fast starts.)
I like the idea, but here are a few suggestions:

1) Use all of the gates, don't worry about using any other kind of land. Then add some amulet of vigor as a 1-drop.

2) You could use natural emergence to make your gates into creatures. This would allow you to effectively use hold the gates on your lands. There are also terra eternal and earth surge if you really feel like going that route. You may also be able to run seedborn muse or quest for renewal instead of awakening.

3) You could toss in a few congregate and that'll be enough lifegain for any deck.

These are just ideas I thought would be neat and flavorful, and I hope they stirred something for ya.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Thanks!  And yep...they sure did.

Amulet of Vigor sounds like a great idea, I'd forgotten about that one.
I like Seedborn Muse also!  I realise Awakening isn't a top-notch option in comparison, but seeing I can tutor for both parts of the combo with Grove had me favouring that one.

As far as life gain goes - Lifegift works with Sterling Grove.  Thanks Gatherer!  I didn't even know that was a card...

RE: Making creatures lands sounds like a great idea provided I could get the protection on board.
But it sounds risky. A single sweeper (and I'm not running counter) blows me out, as does sac effects.  I've always been pretty wary of making decks with land-creature strategies in MP, where sweepers are commonish.    I tried it once..wasn't pretty! LOL.
Because I have Sterling Grove & Repenish though, I think I might give the deck a small toobox of stuff, and Terra Eternal/Nat. Emergence sounds cool.

A single Glacial Chasm? Expedition map can fetch it if need be.  

I like the idea of toolbox cards.  Problem is, whilst Golden Wish seems a good fit, I want to use Glittering Wish cos it's only two mana - but It can't get any of the mono-green creatures I like from post one, or Seedborn Muse, or anything mono-coloured (this whole deck!)
Sterling Grove, with a few single toolbox options, and a couple Golden Wish maybe.  With wish I would be able to fetch plenty of stuff, like Luminarch Ascension or any artifact beaters I like to fit whatever the board state is, and saves me from searching through the deck.  Dunno....
From experience, Lifegift is unreal in MP games, especially if you play it early. Alongside the Burgeoning you mention, it could go beyond funny.

Get the Amulets of Vigor now, before a certain card spoiled for Dragon's Maze becomes available.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I was going to post yesterday, but got distracted and never got around to it. In the interim, it looks like most of what I would have suggested, was suggested. You guys are ninjas. So let me just second the addition of Lifegift and an alternate wincon, like Luminarch Ascension or Sacred Mesa.

What I don't like is Golden Wish. I don't see what it really offers you beyond the Sterling Groves you already run. That, and it costs a ton of mana... You have free space already for rounding out your deck, so I wouldn't bother with additional, clunky tutors. 

What "artifact beaters" did you have in mind? Maybe there's an enchantement that performs the same task. 

Get the Amulets of Vigor now, before a certain card spoiled for Dragon's Maze becomes available.

And of course I now have to make a gate deck.

Thanks krich.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!

Thanks krich.

Huh?!  I already have them - but curious.  What card you talking about?

RE: Golden Wish, yeah you're right I guess.  I'm not gonna include it for the reasons you described.
I chose not to include Burgeoning also, as it would kinda be unfair compared to the MP decks my friends have, despite it being such as awesome fit for this deck!    I'm already the "threat" in our group.....  

So I've thought about including a 1-off toolbox for fun in the deck.  1 Solitary Confinement, 1 Island Sanctuary, 1 Mirri's Guile, 1 Lifegift, 1 Arboria and 1 Enchantress's Presence (besides the 2 Verduran Enchantresses).
I really like Arboria.  It's one of those old cards I like to make MP games interesting.  I find some prefer to play with it on the board and not just instantly kill it, and use it to their advantage, but we of course have no drawback to it.  

Thanks krich.

Huh?!  I already have them - but curious.  What card you talking about?

Since you asked...

DON'T READ IF YOU LIKE SUPRISES!

From HERE.

A totally separate source has provided confirmation of this card and accurate wording, although not the name. The text is as follows:

~
Land {M}
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
, , Return ~ to its owner's hand: Search your library for a Gate card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. If you control ten or more Gates with different names, you win the game.

I should probably follow my own advice regarding the Amulets.

Oh, and you are most welcome, Keino!

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.

^^^^^
Interesting...... that card would fit in this deck easy as pie with just a few mods.  All I would need to do is change some of the gates to cover all the guilds and we're flying.  Maybe up the Expedition maps to 3 and finding a 1-of like this should be easy enough!
But I still feel this is gonna be a slower win-con than we already have, more of an alternate win-con, and hopefully this little gem will stay nice and cheap for it doesn't look very playable in any of the standard/modern formats. (fingers crossed)
Only thing stopping it is Land Destruction or stuff like Price of Progress (ouch!), but who plays LD in MP?!?! Anyone? 

Relating to that which we don't read if we like surprises - how many Amulet of Vigor?
I've currently got 2 (only to my name) in the deck, and so far I'm finding that okay.  I don't wanna draw two - ever, so I'm not that fussed about starting a turn slower most of the time.
How many do you guys think is a good number?

BTW - Scumbling - sorry!  I didn't read all of your post first time!
The artifact beaters I was thinking about were things like Big Tough Robot, Sundering Titan, Inkwell Leviathan etc etc.  But I think I'll leave that idea alone til I get bored with the deck for now.          

I'm still not sure about O-rings in the deck.  I need some kind of kill-anything, and so far its the only thing I can think of that's budget.
Any better removal I could use?   
Only thing stopping it is Land Destruction or stuff like Price of Progress (ouch!), but who plays LD in MP?!?! Anyone?

I see and use versatile targeted LD on a fairly regular basis - Demolish and Acidic Slime over Stone Rain.  After all, there are few better ways to stop the Urzatron or the variety of spell-like lands than to just kill them.  Mass LD makes me feel guilty (short of Worldfire - that is just funny) when I run it.  Guilt, and the fact that it slows games to a crawl, which is a playstyle I abhor.  For these two reasons, I shun it, and apparently I am enough of a model in my meta that the rest of the growing group shun it, as well. 

Relating to that which we don't read if we like surprises - how many Amulet of Vigor?
I've currently got 2 (only to my name) in the deck, and so far I'm finding that okay.  I don't wanna draw two - ever, so I'm not that fussed about starting a turn slower most of the time. How many do you guys think is a good number?

2-3 sounds about right.  When I first saw the card that is not to be named, I thought 4, but your comment about not wanting to draw them again and again is valid.  I guess it depends on how prevalent artifact destruction is in your meta.      

I'm still not sure about O-rings in the deck.  I need some kind of kill-anything, and so far its the only thing I can think of that's budget.
Any better removal I could use?

I'm liking Bramblecrush, despite its inability to zap creatures. 

As an aside, both Wall of Nets and Aether Membrane are fun defenders... you could concieveably go heavier with defenders and add Vent Sentinel for an alternate/additional win.

Cheers!
If land destruction is heavy in your meta, life from the loam should help. One of those comes out, and your opponents will either back off the LD, or turn their attention towards getting rid of that card and give you a chance to get a few more gates into play.

I'm glad the gate-deck is becoming a thing!

Land destruction is starting to ramp up in my play group, and it bugs me to no end. If I play anything other than a basic land, one player in particular(whom I already ranted about in Magic general) can be counted on destroying it before I get any use out of it. I have 4 of each old Ravnica 2-mana land(Boros Garrison for example) in my Guild-themed decks, and the moment I play one, I see everyone's eyes aiming at me...

Personally, I think we're just stuck in a nuclear arms race to make the nastiest, meanest "**** you" decks, and LD is just the next ugly, run down, pit stop on the journey. Hopefully it passes. I have an almost unlimited arsenal of old-school stone rains, thermokarsts, choking sands, etc that I have purposely not used, out of my desire for fair, fun play. I only use my "Liquimetal Coating -> target basic land -> Splinter" deck when someone really gets me in the mood.

I find signatures incredibly distracting. If you read this, then you too have found them distracting. 

Nice.  Loam is a great card.
I may end up with a couple Eternal Witness in the end.  It ability is so useful.

RE: Land Destruction;
One of the guys I play with occasionally brings his POX deck. 
It's whole strategy just nerfs this Gate deck...especially as we're using so few lands.  I may pop them up to 22 tbh.
LD in general is a tricky thing in MP, as most of the time you're using LD to slow peeps down, but you're doing at your own expense due to a much lower threat density.  Veteran Explorer says hi btw.

I also back that MP usually is just an arms race.  We may want to face fair decks across the table, but the truth is everyone plays decks they like.
And they beat your face with it.
Oh man have you played this yet?  I had this idea after snatching a bunch of Crackling Perimeter at a draft.  After giving it a pure gate manabase, a playset of Urban Burgeoning, and whatever rtr block defenders I had, I got the chance to play it as emperor last night.

So it was pretty loose and basic but it did the job in all the games I played it in.  I was definitely thinking about adding Amulet of Vigor and maybe some x costed win conditions (like blaze).

Curious too see how your deck is faring!