The Dark Horse Deck

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Everyone seems to be overlooking Mill in standard. I took it upon myself to truly test out its power against all the Tier 1 standard decks out there. Not only me, but my opponents and friends were kind of a little blown away with its consitancy and "power". Given my unlimited pool of cards to choose from on cockatrice and many hours of deck testing and cutting cards and more testing, We have come up with a list that went 5-1 against Jund, 4-0 against Red Deck Wins, 5-3 against Aristocrats, and 6-2 against Esper Control.

Main

4x Snapcaster Mage
3x Gloom Surgeon
2x Fog Bank
4x Arbor Elf
3x Thought Scour
4x Mind Sculpt
4x Jace, Memory Adept
4x Increasing Confusion
4x Mind Grind
4x Farseek

Land

4x Breeding Pool
4x Overgrown Tomb
2x Watery Grave
4x Drowned Catacomb
4x Hinterland Harbor
3x Nephalia Drownyard
3x Woodland Cemetary

We quickly realized this deck needed a speed boost. Splashing green gave us Arbor Elf and Farseek to ramp up to drop Jace early or to apply heavy pressure on our "x" spells. It was pretty obvious that popping out Jace on turn 3 and hitting them for 10 cards at least for the next 3 turns pretty much gave this deck the win for the few games that happened. and even when Jace didn't come out until late in the game or even at all, Ramping up to 6-7 lands and having 2 made Mind Grind a 30 card mill spell on average. Against an Aggro deck with a good opening hand, Gloom Surgeon was the answer. Haulting those thrag tusks from hitting our life the whole game and even killing them if double blocking with the surgeons. all the while I was continuing to drop the number of cards in my opponents deck. Nephalia Drownyard never swung a game in my favor but did hit for 6 cards in one game, but I know it's potential late game and its staying right where it's at. Finally it brings me to Snapcaster Mage, an auto include, numerous spells to choose from in my graveyard. flash back a Mind Grind after its hit for 5-6 land will empty a deck. and even the simple Mind Sculpt to finish off the opponent.

What really sets this deck apart is it's answer to creatures and ramping to hit the mill early and hard. I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice or suggestions. I did alot of research and this build was the most consistant and effective. Thanks all!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I find the lack of a single (or dual) Consuming Aberration alt wincon... disturbing.

Or is there a reason the deck doesn't run one? 

And how in heck's name do you win against RDW's onslaught with an average of 1 - 2 chump blockers (on top of Arbor Elf) who all die to Pillar of Flame?

I'm genuinely interested in that, because I can't wrap my head around it. 
I find the lack of a single (or dual) Consuming Aberration alt wincon... disturbing.

Or is there a reason the deck doesn't run one? 

And how in heck's name do you win against RDW's onslaught with an average of 1 - 2 chump blockers (on top of Arbor Elf) who all die to Pillar of Flame?

I'm genuinely interested in that, because I can't wrap my head around it. 

Me and a couple buddies tried it mroe creature heavy but it limited our mill and when my creatures are getting killed by spot removal or supreme verdicts, I would have hardly chipped away at their deck. and as for RDW, that was our biggest challenge, having a hellrider and two 2/2's coming in are intimidating. and we originally had it with just fog banks and the card fog itself and it was overwhelmed, we needed something that could withstand the onslaught, deal damage, and be cheap. gloom surgeon did the trick..  having 2-3 gloom surgeons on the board, I would double block a hellrider, or a boros reckoner, it dies, gloom surgeon survives. and basically having an indefinite blocker that also killed my opponents creatures completely stopped aggro, granted they got me down to 5-7 health around turn 4-5. but i recovered enough to stop the wave of 2/2's and get the win. and the burn my opponent used went torwards my life total when he was in the prime of his onslaught.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I get that mill is your wincon, but you have way too many mill spells that don't do anything to interact with the board.  You'll still die to RDW and most midrange decks.

Gloom Surgeon won't stop reckoner if you block him, since he just directs 2 noncombat damage at the gloom surgeon.  Also pretty much any deck with red runs Searing Spear right now, so the small number of surgeons/fog banks won't usually be much of a hindrance.  Trample also becomes an issue.

If you're determined to mill, I would take out a bunch of the slower mill cards and run more ways of intracting with the board.  You really don't need much more than drownyards and jaces to be honest. 
This is why mill is bad if you try to build heavily around it.
Mill has the same objective, as say a RDW deck, of killing your opponent. RDW needs to deal 20 damage and Mill needs to make their library zero. Between the starting 7 and several independent draws, you can say you have to mill around 40. Cards like Dream Twist and Mind Sculpt help you get there but eventually you run out of ways to mill them or stop their creatures. Where as RDW is swinging with creatures and burn can go to their face or deal with the creatures. With the 1 damage takes 2 milled ratio, burn works out better. Now of course there are creatures that will mill but then you're going two different directions. You're dealing damage to try and mill them but at that point you can just kill them with damage and the milling was essentially wasted. Mill was my first deck and I tried really hard to make it competetive but this was just something I realized over time.

tl;dr - 100% mill is too slow and a mix of Mill and Damage conflicts with itself.
Also Mill is extremely unfun to play against.

The only card I think could make an impact is Mind Grind but I think it would just go into an Esper Control shell like we have now and being an alt Win con.
I'm far from good at this game and have just started taking it a lil bit more seriously and actually trying to play standard and win. So there are many other people on these forums that could help you alot better than me, but here's how I would go about this deck if I had the budget for it...

Creatures
Snapcaster Mage x4
Thragtusk x4
Consuming Aberration x3

Spells
Thought Scour x4
Fog x4
Mind Sculpt x4
Farseek x4
Mind Grind x4

Planeswalkers
Jace, Memory Adept x2
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage x2 

Artifacts
Sands of Delirium x1

Lands
Breeding Pool x4
Overgrown Tomb x4
Watery Grave x3
Hinterland Harbor x4
Woodland Cemetery x4
Drowned Catacomb x2
Nephalia Drownyard x3

What the above posters says is true.  When I very first started playing, I played a mill deck and I made the mistake you did and had WAAAY too much mill and not enough control.  You cannot make a fast mill deck, you can try to speed it up at the cost of defense, but in the end it's still gonna be slow.  So what seems to be the best way to run mill is to take that slowness and just roll with it.  Go hard on the control, relax, and take your time with the mill.  You probably wont find the excitment of a fast game, zoning in for the kill, but if you're looking for that, then you need to play a COMPLETELY different deck.

I hope this helped and gave you some idea of what you should be looking at when trying to play mill.
Everyone seems to be overlooking Mill in standard. I took it upon myself to truly test out its power against all the Tier 1 standard decks out there. Not only me, but my opponents and friends were kind of a little blown away with its consitancy and "power". Given my unlimited pool of cards to choose from on cockatrice and many hours of deck testing and cutting cards and more testing, We have come up with a list that went 5-1 against Jund, 4-0 against Red Deck Wins, 5-3 against Aristocrats, and 6-2 against Esper Control.

Main

4x Snapcaster Mage
3x Gloom Surgeon
2x Fog Bank
4x Arbor Elf
3x Thought Scour
4x Mind Sculpt
4x Jace, Memory Adept
4x Increasing Confusion
4x Mind Grind
4x Farseek

Land

4x Breeding Pool
4x Overgrown Tomb
2x Watery Grave
4x Drowned Catacomb
4x Hinterland Harbor
3x Nephalia Drownyard
3x Woodland Cemetary

We quickly realized this deck needed a speed boost. Splashing green gave us Arbor Elf and Farseek to ramp up to drop Jace early or to apply heavy pressure on our "x" spells. It was pretty obvious that popping out Jace on turn 3 and hitting them for 10 cards at least for the next 3 turns pretty much gave this deck the win for the few games that happened. and even when Jace didn't come out until late in the game or even at all, Ramping up to 6-7 lands and having 2 made Mind Grind a 30 card mill spell on average. Against an Aggro deck with a good opening hand, Gloom Surgeon was the answer. Haulting those thrag tusks from hitting our life the whole game and even killing them if double blocking with the surgeons. all the while I was continuing to drop the number of cards in my opponents deck. Nephalia Drownyard never swung a game in my favor but did hit for 6 cards in one game, but I know it's potential late game and its staying right where it's at. Finally it brings me to Snapcaster Mage, an auto include, numerous spells to choose from in my graveyard. flash back a Mind Grind after its hit for 5-6 land will empty a deck. and even the simple Mind Sculpt to finish off the opponent.

What really sets this deck apart is it's answer to creatures and ramping to hit the mill early and hard. I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice or suggestions. I did alot of research and this build was the most consistant and effective. Thanks all!

Cockatrice != real testing.
Beating a hobo up with a baseball bat doesn't make me a master swordsman. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

How do you know? Have you even tried?

As a scientific mind, I never make assertions that I have not already proven with experimentation.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

As a scientific mind, I never make assertions that I have not already proven with experimentation.

PRICELESS

and about the deck ElvenSoma is right, sadly. 
Personally I dislike the lack of removal that you hold in your deck; this is a very fast format ATM so you must stay alive somehow or mill at god-like speeds
Have you concidered trying Grisly Spectacle I know that it is 4 mana and a common removal but artifacts is anything but prominate and it works with the rest of your deck
Mill is not good.

Control with mill is better.

Look into BUG control shells and replace their wincons with Jace, aberation and mindgrind. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Esper is the best mill deck. Fact.

If you want to play an "aggressive" mill deck, at least run Jace's Pet thing that gets bigger when you mill them.  

(at)MrEnglish22