banned artifact lands

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
My buddy wants to know why artifact lands are banned, he plays a artifact deck and ive tried explaining it to him, but he doesn't understand it.

They interact too powerfully with certain other cards.  Notably Cranial Plating and Arcbound Ravager as well as many (if not all) of the cards that have Affinity for artifacts.  Wizards learned the hard way too many times that free spells are a bad idea.

EDIT:  Tell him to look up any Ravager Affinity deck and/or read some articles from back when it was in Standard and people sat in corners and cried themselves to sleep over how awful playing against it was.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

They just had to. Think of it like this, in Affinity/Robots: each Artifact land essentially produces 2 colorless mana (or one colored, one colorless) for Affinity spells like Frogmite and Myr Enforcer. It'd be silly fast...go back and look at some of the old Standard Affinity lists, especially before they banned Skullclamp if you want to see some degenerate decks :-)
tell him to go play the legacy affinity.
Decks I play
Show
Legacy TezzFinityLegacy BurnModern Infect(need to break it) T2-dead
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
Yes, but DOES HE PEE COLOURLESS MANA?
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
2 mana? More than that once things get degenerate. Frog, cast, frog, enforcer, etc. happens, after all.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
2 mana? More than that once things get degenerate. Frog, cast, frog, enforcer, etc. happens, after all.

I prefer land, 4x memnite, cast, mite mite enforcer

(at)MrEnglish22

to bad theres no modern version of ancient tomb. I love t1 plating.
Decks I play
Show
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
It's still possible.  Citadel followed by a Memnite and Mox Opal would allow you to turn 1 the plating
Yeah, but I'd rather have two targets for the plating and get it t2, honestly.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
There are several combinations that allow two mana on turn one. I like a couple of 0-cost creatures and Steel Overseer on turn one followed by a turn two Cranial Plating.

But I guess that's a bit greedy.
Not entirely. I mean, double signal pest? That would be glutenous. An early overseer would just be nice.

In any case, the only 2 mana plays I can think of are 'have an opal'
76783093 wrote:
Not entirely. I mean, double signal pest? That would be glutenous. An early overseer would just be nice. In any case, the only 2 mana plays I can think of are 'have an opal'

Land, zero-drop, drum = 2 mana. Not usable on a two-drop, but you can have the drum and a Pest or a Skirge for example on turn one.

You can actually have two zero-drops and wind up with two drums and a one-drop followed by a turn-two Master with a mana to spare.

So much shorthand, I don't even understand what is happening. What game are we talking about again?
Not entirely. I mean, double signal pest? That would be glutenous. An early overseer would just be nice. In any case, the only 2 mana plays I can think of are 'have an opal'

Land, zero-drop, drum = 2 mana. Not usable on a two-drop, but you can have the drum and a Pest or a Skirge for example on turn one.

You can actually have two zero-drops and wind up with two drums and a one-drop followed by a turn-two Master with a mana to spare.

So much shorthand, I don't even understand what is happening. What game are we talking about again?

In an Affinity deck, one can lay a land, play a zero-casting-cost creature such as Memnite or Ornithopter, tap the land for one mana to cast Springleaf Drum, tap the Springleaf Drum and the creature to produce one more mana to cast something like Signal Pest or Vault Skirge. The latter would also require paying two life to satisfy the Phyrexia-mana portion of its cost.

If one drew two Spingleaf Drums and two Memnites or Ornithopters, it gets even sillier. The first drum and creature cast the second drum and it can cast the one-casting-cost creature. That leaves one with three mana producers on turn two without even having another land. Three mana is sufficient to cast Master of Etherium. In this scenario, the Master could land as a 8/8 provided one also played another land and both lands were artifacts - that is both were Darksteel Citadel.

As long as we're dreaming, one could then draw into a Cranial Plating on turn three and and just swing for lethal.

Buuuut at that point we might as well dream of hands that result in 10 poison t2.
76783093 wrote:
Thats easy.

T-1
Pendelhaven
Glistener Elf

T-2
Blue mana making land
Distortion Strike
Mutagenic Growth x2
Might of Old Krosa

Its not that hard really as long as they dont have removal infect is a nasty deck, In legacy I prefer the mono green version over the ug/bug decks. Rancor is great for after t-2 to get over there blocker.
Decks I play
Show
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
[//sblock]
I would really like to see them unbanned and ban ravager+plating (maybe something else too if need be) because they really could  enable a ton of non degenerate decks. Things like TFK not seeing play makes me sad. 
IF you ban plating then affinity has absolutely no game.

It will just be a crap deck based on a bunch of free artifacts and pump them all with MoE and tempered steel. And that dident work when TS was in t2.

As it is affinity has no game, hell the ravager dotv combo isent even used in legacy and it wont work in modern cause it has just as much removal. Its a weak and slow combo that wotc thinks will make a degenerate deck thats not even degenerate in legacy.
Decks I play
Show
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
[//sblock]