1 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars

// SIDEBOARD
3 [RTR] Izzet Statocaster
4 [AVR] Nightshade Peddler
2 [M13] Naturalize
2 [M13] Thundermaw Hellkite
2 [GTC] Skullcrack
2 [RTR] Counterflux

I'm wondering whether or not it's worth running Wolfir Avenger perhaps over Strangleroot Geist. Geist gives you more action on Turn 2, but Wolfir Avenger does a little bit better with Supreme Verdict and Reckoner and with Master Biomancer (who is a house and the main reason to play this deck).

SB is basically random stuff.

This deck is about making massive value out of everything. 
i can't place it, but something seems off about the list.

also, is it worth trying to run arbor elf for quicker starts?  is simic charm doing enough? 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

If you play a Geist after a Master Biomancer, he's a 4/3, but he loses undying because of 2 +1/+1 counters.  I think he's the one creature out of place.  Avenger would probably be much better as you only have 1 three drop.

I don't think there's enough early stuff for your deck.  Turn 3 on the draw is an awful long time IMO without interacting with your opponent.  You've got Farseek, and 1 mortars, and possibly a top deck bonfire for 1.  I really think Searing Spear needs to be here.  Maybe in place of the charms.  Izzet Charm seems like it would be better than simic.

I don't know about arbor elf.  Deserves testing to be sure.  What do you do against Boros Reckoner?  That was my stump on RUG....I found the cypher common freeze tapper common, Cyclonic Rift, and Tamiyo, the Moon Sage...not sure if that's good enough.  Edit:  otherwise, even if you block with avenger and regenerate, something is taking 3 (you, probably) or 5 with a biomancer out.  Is the lifegain enough to stabilize and stomp them with fatties?
I agree that the Geists are the weak link.

Searing Spear is unplayable now - Boros is basically the only deck that wants it and only because there are no substitutes.

I had thought about Gyre Sage over Strangleroot Geist, but you don't have a convenient way to pump it until Turn 4. It is really strong with Biomancer down, though. Perhaps if the spells are cut somewhere to run more Avengers or Staticasters.
Arbor Elf is a possibility, but you don't have much at 3 to curve into.
Arbor Elf is a possibility, but you don't have much at 3 to curve into.

maybe better as scorned villager?  i guess i'm just thinking this deck is playing a bunch of 4's and 5's and likley wants to get there quicker.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

What of that Pongify functional reprint?  Your creatures are always going to be bigger than a 3/3; and you could kill an elf in response to get a 5/5 in a pinch (with biomancer in play, that is). 

Spear doesn't hit Resto, dragon, or some of the other fat; but it's still quite formidable in addition to the huntmaster flip, I'd think.  (Kills Obzedat, dragon, anything with 5 toughness) Curious to know why you think it's unplayable now?  Just because of Reckoner?  He deserves respect for sure; but it's not like you have many other ways to off him.

It doesn't kill anything you really want to kill, its actively bad against others, and you don't need burn to the face with this deck particularly - you have basically infinite reach with fat guys and Wolf Run or Rancor.
I like the Villager idea, though.
I auto carded your list and made the changes i would make, hope this helps and gives you some ideas. I would also think about snapcaster mage and/or wolfir avenger, both fun cards to flash in when you have the biomancer out.

Lands-24
4x Breeding Pool
4x Stomping Ground
2x Steam Vents
4x Hinterland Harbor
4x Rootbound Crag
2x Kessig Wolf Run
2x forest

Creatures-21
4x arbor elf 
3x burning-tree emissary(try these out, maybe run wolfir avenger instead)
4x Huntmaster of the Fells
4x Master Biomancer
4x Thragtusk
2x Prime Speaker Zegana

Spells-15
4x Farseek
3x Simic Charm
1x Garruk, Primal Hunter
2x Garruk Relentless
2x Bonfire of the Damned
3x izzet charm

SIDEBOARD(up to your meta)
burning tree emissary doens't do anything.  if this deck played a bunch of other 2 or 3 drops, then i'd be worth it, but as of now, the best you could hope for is a turn 2 emissary into farseek or something.

Photobucket

I always love conceptual lists... but I don't feel like you designed this with having to play against Boros Reckoner in about 50% of your games in mind.

This is why Rapid Hybridization was suggested I'm sure.... because once you answer the Reckoner question (even if it just turning it into something pitiful) your guys do just run over top. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

burning tree emissary doens't do anything.  if this deck played a bunch of other 2 or 3 drops, then i'd be worth it, but as of now, the best you could hope for is a turn 2 emissary into farseek or something.

The idea of the emmissary is more for color fixing and to add blockers to give you more of a chance to get to the mid game. Also if you have a biomancer out you can still get a 4/4 and fix your mana. I also suggested running the avengers instead of that because of the same thing, being able to flash out a 5/5(regnerater) with 1 biomancer out seems pretty strong tech to me. Same idea with snapcaster and you get to reuse a charm and make a 4/3 with a biomancer out.
I don't think you're fast enough to want skullcrack in the board.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Izzet Charm isn't great.

You're correct this list predates Boros Reckoners in every matchup, but its not as big an issue with Trample since you cap the damage they can do with the ability, and your creatures get big enough that they're not at risk.

Still worth having other outs though.

I think this deck is going to be built on the same underlying basis as Jund, although your spells are different (less hard removal).

Is Clan Defiance a thing here? Or is Bonfire better?
Clan Defiance is much hotter than people suspect. Going to see play once Bonfire rotates, methinks. And have you considered Spell Ruture?
Suggest cutting Izzet Charm for something, such as the best removal spell in standard that you aren't running. But by and far, don't like Izzet Charm. Super lackluster.

(at)MrEnglish22

Id like to see a couple Ground Assault here. Its going to be one of your best ways to permanently deal with bigger creatures like thundermaw hellkite.  I also am on the Clan Defiance team at the moment. Its been beautiful for me.
------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
Sign In to post comments