D&D Next Equipment

A couple of items to consider in playtest

Whip: two-­‐handed?

Oh my, just think of the trouble miniature sculptors will have when they try to capture a pose that doesn't look like the two-handed whip wielder is climbing a limp rope. Unless two handed is like www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWpdOBhDJU

Manacles come with a single key but no DC to picklock; reminder manacles are 2gp 2lbs.  While a lock is 10gp and 1lb. for reference the lock has DC 15 to picklock. 

I just noticed that. Why would they make a whip two-handed? Who has ever used a single whip with both hands?
I just noticed that. Why would they make a whip two-handed? Who has ever used a single whip with both hands?

I think it's less that you need two hands to use the whip, and more that you can't really use a whip while you have a sword in the other hand or something. Using a whip requires a full-body movement, in the way that most swords do not.

The metagame is not the game.

They're also missing the sickle.

Simple weapons are defined as the weapons most commonly used by commoners.

Commoners definitely use sickles.

How can I play a druid, or nature priest, or witch without a sickle!?

Danny

From what I recall, early editions also lacked a sickle entry on the weapon table, so they stated that the closest equivalent was the scimitar. That's why druids, even to this day, are always proficient with the scimitar.

The metagame is not the game.

From what I recall, early editions also lacked a sickle entry on the weapon table, so they stated that the closest equivalent was the scimitar. That's why druids, even to this day, are always proficient with the scimitar.

Huh... never occurred to me that the druid even had scimitar on their list.

LOL I don't know that I'd ever rock a scimitar as a druid.

Danny

I think it's less that you need two hands to use the whip, and more that you can't really use a whip while you have a sword in the other hand or something. Using a whip requires a full-body movement, in the way that most swords do not.

Let's not forget that a very iconic character from a very strong Forgotten Realms Serie, Zaknafein Do'Urden starts the dark elf triology off by dual wielding a whip and a longsword, the whip so he could whip out the tounge of priestesses before they could even get their spells off. Strikes me as a strange move to disallow it.

Besides there are many more types of whip than a bullwhip, much smaller and easier to use variants that has actually seen use in combat through history.
I still don't think it makes any sense for a whip to require two hands. Any one-handed weapon attack requires a full body motion, and that doesn't stop you from using a mace in one hand and a longsword in the other.
Two-handed whip seems like an oversight. I wish that whips (or whip-daggers) could be a part of core without a whole mess of feats or house rules to make them legitimately balanced.