end step or next end step

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ball Lightning and the tokens generated from Elemental Mastery. One says "beginning of the end step" the other says "beginning of the next end step". My question is what happens if these cards are used with Sundial of the Infinite. If I play ball lightning then activate the sundial, will I have to sacrifice the ball at the beginning of my opponents end step. The same question goes for the tokens generated from elemental mastery. My guess would be I would not have to sac the ball, but I would have to sac the tokens at the end of my opponent's turn. Why exactly? Is this simply because of the word NEXT. Please help explain.
"At the beginning of the end step..." - These abilities trigger each turn. Sundial of the Infinite can prevent the triggers on your turn but not indefinitely.

"At the beginning of the next end step..." - These abilities trigger only once. If you use Sundial of the Infinite before the end step of your turn, they'll trigger on the end step of the next turn. If you wait until your end step and use Sundial of the Infinite with the triggers on the stack, they'll never trigger again.
Rules Advisor
At the beginning of the end step really means At the beginning of every end step 

It's just that typically Ball Lightning isn't going to survive much past the beginning of the first end step that it encounters so there isn't much point in saying every end step

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

"At the beginning of the end step..." - These abilities trigger each turn. Sundial of the Infinite can prevent the triggers on your turn but not indefinitely.

"At the beginning of the next end step..." - These abilities trigger only once. If you use Sundial of the Infinite before the end step of your turn, they'll trigger on the end step of the next turn. If you wait until your end step and use Sundial of the Infinite with the triggers on the stack, they'll never trigger again.

Apart from this, the different wording is due to the ball being a permanent and the mastery creating a delayed trigger on the tokens (which don't HAVE that ability).

Most of the time, the difference doesn't matter.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.