Dear readers,I have been playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1st and 2nd addition "tabletop" game for over 20 years as a Dungeon Master and I have learned alot from this. Playing DDO 3.5 is quite different. There are no tried and proved methods, ho

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dear readers,
I have been playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1st and 2nd addition "tabletop" game for over 20 years as a Dungeon Master and I have learned alot from this. Playing DDO 3.5 is quite different. There are no tried and proved methods, however there are some important things to consider; If you are playing this game to score points as fast as possible and get to the end and are extremely competitive, in my opinion you don't belong associated with Dungeons and Dragons at all.
This "DDO" is an offshoot of Dungeons and Dragons and that is the most world famous "fantasy role playing game" of all time! DDO makes room for those types of players for a maximum profit ratio $$$. 
If you are from the "Old School" of Dungeons and Dragons and are trying to experience it in 3D and have a world wide web's worth of potential players to play with this should have been the best place to go.
I think there still is hope and I intend on making that so - and no not single handedly! As a DM you know the number one rule is: What the DM says goes P E R I O D! However it is wise to make the game as fun as possible or you will have no one to play with. Same goes for guilds and guild leaders/recruiters. You do however have to consider what the majority of your guildies want and that is bassically your type of "guild" or "campaign." If the people you are "interviewing" are going to take the ballance out of your storyline/fantasy you and your guildies are roleplaying or if they are not into roleplaying at all and your guild is a roleplaying guild, then they wont work out.
This is why it is imperitive to interview so as not to waist anyone's precious online gaming time! This is a game - yes, but what type of game is the question to be considered. It is not the typical "video game" that so many seem to think it is and God willing it wont become one either! I for one will fight to maintain DnD integrety forever! Dungeons and Dragons was desighned to bring people together to have a fantasy roleplaying experience and for those who do not know what that means it can be called "play pretend" or "acting w/spontaneous/creative storyline" as well. It would **** me off to the max if this continues to grow into a bunch of "Zergs" trying to reach the end and "win" the game so mommy will go out and buy them another game to speed through!
So if you are trying to find which guild to join or which person to recruit into your guild it probably is a great idea to do some talking between both parties ie; "interview" to help decide whether you are right for each other's ideas of what type of game you are or are not going to play with each other.
Perhaps there should be two types of DDOs: One for "Zergs" and one for people who remember what Dungeons and Dragons is all about ROLEPLAY/STORYLINE/SOCIALIZING! I'LL BET ALL THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO IS HAVE AN ADULT VERSION AND A CHILDRENS VERSION AND THAT WOULD AUTOMATICALLY SOLVE THE PROBLEM. 

King Ghonja Flowingwater of Earth
(SELF APPOINTED) New Ruler of Eberron
Grand Master of The Knights of The Covenant
PS: Don't get all bent over my name & title here...it too is part of roleplay!
af;dr

(annoying font, didn't read)
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
af;dr

(annoying font, didn't read)

+1
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Isn't this the 4e general discussion??

One hopes he is either a troll, or will soon recover from his recent severe head trauma.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Pointless post is pointless.... and unreadable.
What the hell is he even trying to say?
What the hell is he even trying to say?

"I'm really old."

Lordgonja.  This is the 4e General Discussion board for topics relating to the 4th Edition pen-and-paper version of Dungeons and Dragons.  Though not entirely without merit, your rally call for more roleplaying in the Dungeons and Dragons Online MMORPG, is completely misaimed here, as these boards deal solely with print D&D products.  Different edition.  Different medium.

Your post would find a more appropriate audience at DDO's own dedicated forums.  Barring that, if posting on WotC's boards is truely your goal, the only forum that your topic seems to fit would be Off Topic Tavern.  Though I'll warn you that the digital D&D products don't get much discussion on these boards in general.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
it was really hard to read. Honestly, I can't find the point though. Can you elaborate ?
lordgonja, I want to party with you sometime. DDO doesn't thrill me much though.  I'm waiting to see what Neverwinter will be like.  You bring the party favors though.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I've played since 1st edition, and I've played 2nd edition as well.

DDO is based on 3rd edition, which is a different rule set.

The other thing you have to consider is it IS a computer game, which is different from a tabletop game. You press buttons to do things, and are limited in what is programmed. You can't just throw a chair through a window in a computer game, for example.

And you should ask which server is an RP server on the DDO forums. That's where the roleplaying is.

(And I'm not worried about your title. The Five Nations went to war for 100 years when someone tried to claim the throne of Galifar. Not to mention, Eberron encompases Sarlona, which I'm sure the Inspired would take exception to the title. As well as the dragons on Argonnessen would wipe you out. (They have the power too, since they destroyed Xen'drik once before.))
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
Between apathy and unreadability, the only thing I can figure you're saying is "Gol-darn whippersnapers! Back in my day, we had to RP through 10 feet of snow, up hill both ways! Eh? What's that? Stop mumbling! All that boom-boom music is ruining your hearing."
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
Between apathy and unreadability, the only thing I can figure you're saying is "Gol-darn whippersnapers! Back in my day, we had to RP through 10 feet of snow, up hill both ways! Eh? What's that? Stop mumbling! All that boom-boom music is ruining your hearing."

Yeah, seriously... If you want actual role-play... A computer game ain't the place to get it (and, by extension, neither is 4E).  I play D&D Tactics on PSP, but I don't expect my character to "grow".
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
(and, by extension, neither is 4E).

Bull.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Claim: "You can't roleplay in 4e"
Rebuttal: "I have roleplayed in 4e".

Claim invalidated. Game set and match, everyone go home.

seriously, it's 2013. I get that you don't like 4e and that's fine, but you're a bit late to the edition war.
Roleplaying is about your desire to play a given role (in terms of your character and behaviour), which is possible in any edition of D&D, and in most computer game versions of which I'm aware.  4th Edition may be less simulationist than some of the earlier editions, but it by no means eliminates the ability for a player to have their character adopt different kinds of behaviour to play a role.

Any game that allows you to choose activities to represent the behaviour of a character (as an individual different to yourself) allows some degree of roleplaying.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
A couple of things:

First off, DDO is terrible.  I mean terrible in every possible way.  Graphically, in content, style, interface, playability and community.  I'm sure I missed some but rest assured - if DDO has it, DDO does it terribly.  If you have to play some fantasy MMO for some reason, I suggest GW2.  It's not terrible.

Secondly, there's nothing preventing RP in 4e.  IME, however, people don't really wanna RP in 4e cuz they just don't wanna play it.  The game gets in its own way in this regard.  Sad but true (again, IME).  If it works for you, yay.  Just understand that it don't work for everyone.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

To all the people with negative responces to my original thread; I was unaware that my font would be highlighted and that is anoying, however after proofreading my thread there is nothing unreadable about it. If you are too young to understand me then just don't comment. If anyone had been playing DnD and then went to DDO you would REALLY understand.
I am simply trying to maintain the spirit of Dungeons and Dragons on that DDO site and am seeking roleplayers with enough imagination and creativity to come there and roleplay with my guild. For the person trying to tell me that is a video game: it is what you make it - there are many other role playing guilds there besides my own.

Thank you
Ruler of Eberron
To all the people with negative responces to my original thread; I was unaware that my font would be highlighted and that is anoying, however after proofreading my thread there is nothing unreadable about it. If you are too young to understand me then just don't comment. If anyone had been playing DnD and then went to DDO you would REALLY understand.
I am simply trying to maintain the spirit of Dungeons and Dragons on that DDO site and am seeking roleplayers with enough imagination and creativity to come there and roleplay with my guild. For the person trying to tell me that is a video game: it is what you make it - there are many other role playing guilds there besides my own.

Thank you
Ruler of Eberron

Did you seriously just say 'too young to understand'?  Communication, my friend, is a two way street.  You'd be wise to consider that.  Of course, I'm only 34 so maybe I'm just too young ...

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I'm honestly more concerned about the 'Ghonja' part.  It could easily be an alternate spelling of something that discussion of would violate our fairly rigid CoC. 

Section Six Soldier

CJ, I find it kind of weird how you vehemently accuse others of committing the Stormwind Fallacy in other threads when you yourself are basically committing it here. If RP and optimization are independent, then you can completely alter the mechanics and not affect RP. This works whether that alteration is including a new 3e splatbook or shifting the entire engine over to, say, GURPS, Exalted, or even 4e.

I mean, I don't like 4e much myself (there's a few truly inspired tabletop mechanics there, but to me the gameplay is much more like a miniatures / CCG hybrid, which isn't my style - I prefer more simulationist games), but that's just a matter of taste, not a matter of reformulating logic. I've played alongside Tsuyoshikentsu, for instance, and he was one of the most talented roleplayers I've ever seen. I also know he's been playing 4e for years. I somehow doubt he's dramatically changed his RP style despite the different game engine. (In particular because my experience with his RP is already across multiple systems.)

Weekly Optimization Series

Show
These are NOT all my creations! The lead authors are identified as follows: [TS] Tempest Stormwind, [AR] Andarious Rosethorn, [RT] Radical Taoist, [SN] Sionnis, [DH] DisposableHero_, [SH] Seishi.

[TS] The Pinball Brothers: Large And In Charge (Melee, Lockdown, Charge, Juggling)
[TS] Ashardalon Reborn: I Will Swallow Your Soul (Melee, Fear, Negative Levels, AoE, Theme)
[AR] "A"-Game Paladin: Play That Funky Music, Knight Boy! (Team Support, Melee, Theme, Single-Class)
[RT] Uncanny Trapsmith: Get in, make it look like an accident, get out. (Skillmonkey, Stealth/Scout/Infiltration, Unorthodox Methods, Theme)
[AR] Wizsassin: *Everything* is permitted. (Spellcaster, Support, Sneak Attack, Utility)
[TS] Phantom Rush: General Gish Gouda. (Gish, Theme, Setting-Specific(Eberron), Early-Entry PrC)
[TS] Storm Knight: Another kind of gish. (Melee/"Gish", Theme, Setting-Specific(Eberron), Unorthodox Methods)
[TS] Inevitable Nightmare: The weapon you only have to fire once. (Melee, "Unorthodox" Methods (no charging), Reliability)
[AR] Captain Constitution: The number one threat to America. (Melee, TOUGHTOUGHTOUGH, Defense, Theme)
[AR] Nuker: I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down! (Spellcaster, damage, blasting, damage)
[TS] Dread Lord of the Dead: Let the Reaping Begin! (NPC-only, Variable (combat/casting/leadership), Iconic Villain, Theme)
[AR] Heavy Crusader: No Rest. No Mercy. No Matter What. (Melee, Damage (No charging), Variable, Theme).
[TS] Gun Fu: It's bullet time (Ranged, THEORETICAL, Twin weapons, Theme)
[RT] Face First: We should talk. (Psionic, social, mind-control, info-management)
[SN] Chaingun Porcupine: Never Enuff Dakka. (Ranged, Skirmishing, Spike Damage, Incarnum)
[RT] Always On Edge: The Mortal Draw deals death. (Melee, Generalist, Dungeoneering, Stunt)
[AR] Feral Druid: Real feral taste. Zero druid calories. (Melee, offense, damage, murder)
[RT] Rusty!: Man's Best Friend (Sentry, Support, Backup, Rearguard)
[RT] The T3 (Tashalatora Triple Threat): My Kung Fu is More Powerful (Hybrid, Flex-Function, Melee, Caster)
[RT] The #1 Snoipah: Boom. 'Eadshot. (Caster, Theme, Spike, Trapscout)
[AR] Dreamblade: Rest in Pieces. (Melee, Damage, Single-Class, Combo/Momentum)
[AR] Evasion Tank: “When fighting angry blind men, is best to stay out of the way.” (Melee, Tank, Unorthodox Methods (attack negation), Theme)
[DH] Psycarnum Warrior: ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA Start (Melee, Tank, Psionics, Incarnum, 1337 h4x)
[AR] Heavy Weapons Elf: WHO TOUCHED MY BOW? (Ranged, Cohort, Damage, Unorthodox Methods (ranged ToB))
[RT] Gnowhere Gnome: A little man who wasn't there (Caster, Stealth, Single-Class, Elusive)
[AR] Uberflank: I got your back. (Melee, support, stunt, teamwork)
[TS] Flip the Bird: Everyday I'm shuffling (Ranged, harrier, unorthodox methods (ranged ToB / off-turn movement), support)
[DH] Eat Sleep Gank: Real Ultimate Power (Stealth, Assassination, Spike, Magic Versatility)
[AR] Slash and Burn: Mind, Body, Blade, Flame / Aspects of a greater whole / which delivers death. (Melee, Theme (flex-style), Damage, Stunt)
[RT] Edge of the Light: Cut, Fade to Black (Melee, Defense/Offense, Momentum, Tactical)
[RT] Quiet Murder: Cut throats, not corners. (Melee, Stealth, Harrier, Tactical)
[TS] Wand Overdrive: Say Hello to my little friends. (Caster, support/artillery/variable, wand specialist)
[RT] God Hand: What did the five fingers say to the face? (Melee/Gish, Unarmed, SAD, Theme)
[AR] Zero Buff Time Gish: Try to keep up! (Gish, Speed, Movement, Opportunity)
[TS] Robo Tackle: I Am Iron Man. (Melee, setting-specific (Eberron), positioning, theme, stunt)

[TS] Holy Fire: Just getting warmed up! (Casting, damage, theme (fire), theme (sacred), blasting)

[TS] Groundhog Mage: ♪Let’s do the time warp again♪ (Casting, stunt, setting-specific (Faerun), spell stamina / versatility, spontaneous wizard)

[RT] Captain Charisma: All she wants to do is dance (Hybrid (melee/support), SAD, Theme (criticals), Theme (flex-style))

[TS] Assassin's Speed: A blade in the crowd (Melee (technical), iaijutsu, SAD, theme (Assassin's Creed), tutorial)

[RT] Something for Everyone: A.K.A. The Last Sorcerer RT Will Ever Build (Caster, Damage, Trapscout, Takedowns)

Want to see how the entire group rolls?
[All] Party Optimization Showcase: Dead for Nothing
[TS/RT/AR] Optimization Article: The Flash Step
[RT] Optimization Article: Kung Fu Witchcraft

Seishi: I think it might be fun to have a one-off [game] tuned fairly, but with the intention of wiping the party. 

DisposableHero_: if [my campaign] has taught me nothing else, it is that with this group, nothing tuned fairly will ever wipe the party

RadicalTaoist: I've been throwing **** at this group that's 5 levels over CRed in DFN, and have yet to wipe the party.

3.5: Definitive Shopping List (gear guide PDF)

5e Eberron homebrew rules | Discussion: 5e Artificer

The system can certainly have an impact on RP, though.  I've played 1e, 2e, 3e, 3.5, 4e, Pathfinder, Shadowrun and Battletech and I've been playing for over 20 years with the same core of guys and a few 'newcomers' that have been around for over a decade.  We had no trouble with RP until 4e.  None.  We shifted from 4e to Pathfinder (after playing 4e from start to the 5e announcement) and RP once again felt natural.  It's not that it's impossible to RP in 4e, it's that to some the system makes it more difficult. 

I mean, it's pretty simple.  We changed one variable in - at the least - 10 years of play and had an issue.  We changed the variable again and lost the issue.  The variable was the system and when we went to a system more like 3.5 than anything else we were fine again.  And we also gave 4e a fair shake.  If the system has no say in the matter, how do you explain that?

Section Six Soldier

To all the people with negative responces to my original thread; I was unaware that my font would be highlighted and that is anoying, however after proofreading my thread there is nothing unreadable about it.

A massive wall of rambling highlighted text and you can't understand why people find it unreadable. I just made my eyes bleed trying to get through it. Besides being a rambling of random ideas that you appear to have jotted down as the thoughts entered your mind, it is also the completely wrong forum for that topic. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but really when this many people are having trouble reading it, you might be doing something wrong.

If you are too young to understand me then just don't comment. If anyone had been playing DnD and then went to DDO you would REALLY understand.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with age. You are not the only person here to have played D&D and DDO. However, you do appear to be the only one that was surprised to discover that a MMORPG does not provide the same RP experience as a tabletop RPG. Was this the first RPG video game you played or something?

I am simply trying to maintain the spirit of Dungeons and Dragons on that DDO site and am seeking roleplayers with enough imagination and creativity to come there and roleplay with my guild.

Well, all I can really say is good luck with that.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Here is a really simple suggestion for the OP:  Edit your original post to make it so that it isn't so ugly!  It may be "unreadable" because of what is in it, there are some people who write that way, but before most of use would take the time to critique that we'll want to be able to see what's been written without all the eye strain.

I mean it is possible to have a sentence that is easy to read but at the same time impossible to read because it is next to impossible to see. 
Well, I sure don't want him to violate my rigid CoC. I mean, see that picture?

You made me burn my nose when I coughed Pepsi up there from laughing.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/4.jpg)

We’ve removed content from this thread because of a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

Remember, a community is a joint effort of all those involved, and while we want intellegent meaningful and productive banter to ensue we also need it to be polite and considerate of others. Believe us when we say it is possible.

Thank you for your time and support as we continue to try and make a great community for everyone.

Of course, it is really impossible to RP in a game that is about as much a game as soccer or basketball.

The ability to RP is about the game allowing choices to be made that reflect the character's personality.  Soccer and basketball are both clearly games, yet players also take actions in line with their personality.  So although the choices are certainly more restricted in terms of roles, it would even be possible to roleplay being a particular person while playing them.

Anyone who's ever pretended to be a famous soccer or basketball player while playing those games has conducted real roleplaying, even if not quite to the degree usually described in D&D.  Equivalently, it's possible to roleplay in games that are about as much a game as them.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Best part of strip solitaire?  You don't need no cards. 

Section Six Soldier

You're seriously calling basketball and soccer games? That's seriously insulting to things Chutes and Ladders, Rock Paper Scissors, and Strip Solitare.

Ironically, Snakes and Ladders and Scissors Paper Rock are a couple of the games with less roleplaying potential than basketball or soccer.

Strip Solitaire is, well...

Strip Solitaire is, well...

Amateur? :p

Seriously, though, judging games that are not roleplaying games on the basis of their roleplaying is sort of like bashing D&D for not having a high financial stake or athletic ability. Dimensions that are part of one game simply aren't part of others.

Weekly Optimization Series

Show
These are NOT all my creations! The lead authors are identified as follows: [TS] Tempest Stormwind, [AR] Andarious Rosethorn, [RT] Radical Taoist, [SN] Sionnis, [DH] DisposableHero_, [SH] Seishi.

[TS] The Pinball Brothers: Large And In Charge (Melee, Lockdown, Charge, Juggling)
[TS] Ashardalon Reborn: I Will Swallow Your Soul (Melee, Fear, Negative Levels, AoE, Theme)
[AR] "A"-Game Paladin: Play That Funky Music, Knight Boy! (Team Support, Melee, Theme, Single-Class)
[RT] Uncanny Trapsmith: Get in, make it look like an accident, get out. (Skillmonkey, Stealth/Scout/Infiltration, Unorthodox Methods, Theme)
[AR] Wizsassin: *Everything* is permitted. (Spellcaster, Support, Sneak Attack, Utility)
[TS] Phantom Rush: General Gish Gouda. (Gish, Theme, Setting-Specific(Eberron), Early-Entry PrC)
[TS] Storm Knight: Another kind of gish. (Melee/"Gish", Theme, Setting-Specific(Eberron), Unorthodox Methods)
[TS] Inevitable Nightmare: The weapon you only have to fire once. (Melee, "Unorthodox" Methods (no charging), Reliability)
[AR] Captain Constitution: The number one threat to America. (Melee, TOUGHTOUGHTOUGH, Defense, Theme)
[AR] Nuker: I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down! (Spellcaster, damage, blasting, damage)
[TS] Dread Lord of the Dead: Let the Reaping Begin! (NPC-only, Variable (combat/casting/leadership), Iconic Villain, Theme)
[AR] Heavy Crusader: No Rest. No Mercy. No Matter What. (Melee, Damage (No charging), Variable, Theme).
[TS] Gun Fu: It's bullet time (Ranged, THEORETICAL, Twin weapons, Theme)
[RT] Face First: We should talk. (Psionic, social, mind-control, info-management)
[SN] Chaingun Porcupine: Never Enuff Dakka. (Ranged, Skirmishing, Spike Damage, Incarnum)
[RT] Always On Edge: The Mortal Draw deals death. (Melee, Generalist, Dungeoneering, Stunt)
[AR] Feral Druid: Real feral taste. Zero druid calories. (Melee, offense, damage, murder)
[RT] Rusty!: Man's Best Friend (Sentry, Support, Backup, Rearguard)
[RT] The T3 (Tashalatora Triple Threat): My Kung Fu is More Powerful (Hybrid, Flex-Function, Melee, Caster)
[RT] The #1 Snoipah: Boom. 'Eadshot. (Caster, Theme, Spike, Trapscout)
[AR] Dreamblade: Rest in Pieces. (Melee, Damage, Single-Class, Combo/Momentum)
[AR] Evasion Tank: “When fighting angry blind men, is best to stay out of the way.” (Melee, Tank, Unorthodox Methods (attack negation), Theme)
[DH] Psycarnum Warrior: ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA Start (Melee, Tank, Psionics, Incarnum, 1337 h4x)
[AR] Heavy Weapons Elf: WHO TOUCHED MY BOW? (Ranged, Cohort, Damage, Unorthodox Methods (ranged ToB))
[RT] Gnowhere Gnome: A little man who wasn't there (Caster, Stealth, Single-Class, Elusive)
[AR] Uberflank: I got your back. (Melee, support, stunt, teamwork)
[TS] Flip the Bird: Everyday I'm shuffling (Ranged, harrier, unorthodox methods (ranged ToB / off-turn movement), support)
[DH] Eat Sleep Gank: Real Ultimate Power (Stealth, Assassination, Spike, Magic Versatility)
[AR] Slash and Burn: Mind, Body, Blade, Flame / Aspects of a greater whole / which delivers death. (Melee, Theme (flex-style), Damage, Stunt)
[RT] Edge of the Light: Cut, Fade to Black (Melee, Defense/Offense, Momentum, Tactical)
[RT] Quiet Murder: Cut throats, not corners. (Melee, Stealth, Harrier, Tactical)
[TS] Wand Overdrive: Say Hello to my little friends. (Caster, support/artillery/variable, wand specialist)
[RT] God Hand: What did the five fingers say to the face? (Melee/Gish, Unarmed, SAD, Theme)
[AR] Zero Buff Time Gish: Try to keep up! (Gish, Speed, Movement, Opportunity)
[TS] Robo Tackle: I Am Iron Man. (Melee, setting-specific (Eberron), positioning, theme, stunt)

[TS] Holy Fire: Just getting warmed up! (Casting, damage, theme (fire), theme (sacred), blasting)

[TS] Groundhog Mage: ♪Let’s do the time warp again♪ (Casting, stunt, setting-specific (Faerun), spell stamina / versatility, spontaneous wizard)

[RT] Captain Charisma: All she wants to do is dance (Hybrid (melee/support), SAD, Theme (criticals), Theme (flex-style))

[TS] Assassin's Speed: A blade in the crowd (Melee (technical), iaijutsu, SAD, theme (Assassin's Creed), tutorial)

[RT] Something for Everyone: A.K.A. The Last Sorcerer RT Will Ever Build (Caster, Damage, Trapscout, Takedowns)

Want to see how the entire group rolls?
[All] Party Optimization Showcase: Dead for Nothing
[TS/RT/AR] Optimization Article: The Flash Step
[RT] Optimization Article: Kung Fu Witchcraft

Seishi: I think it might be fun to have a one-off [game] tuned fairly, but with the intention of wiping the party. 

DisposableHero_: if [my campaign] has taught me nothing else, it is that with this group, nothing tuned fairly will ever wipe the party

RadicalTaoist: I've been throwing **** at this group that's 5 levels over CRed in DFN, and have yet to wipe the party.

3.5: Definitive Shopping List (gear guide PDF)

5e Eberron homebrew rules | Discussion: 5e Artificer

Seriously, though, judging games that are not roleplaying games on the basis of their roleplaying is sort of like bashing D&D for not having a high financial stake or athletic ability. Dimensions that are part of one game simply aren't part of others.

Interestingly, there are a lot of games that can easily include roleplaying to some degree, like soccer and basketball.  Those games aren't designed to include roleplaying (this being the difference between them and roleplaying games), but roleplay can still be performed as part of playing them.

I would say that you can judge non-roleplaying games on their roleplay potential, as long as you keep in mind that it's all you're judging about them, rather than their general value as a game.  For comparison, something like Snakes and Ladders rates much higher than D&D if you're judging it on simple and accessible gameplay.

I don't have any real interest in this thread, at all. But in glimpsing the last few posts:

Those of you that think basketball cannot include roleplaying have obviously never see the Harlem Globetrotters "perform". 
Sigh...

Guys, reading comprehension is cool. I'm not  saying basketball and soccer don't have any roleplay polential, I'm saying they aren't games. And neither is 4e. 

If you read back a little ways, you should be able to comprehend that it was CJ who initially said that roleplaying was impossible in a game on the approximate level of basketball and soccer as games.  And it's from that origin that the current line of discussion and its relevant points arose, rather than yourself.

I’ve removed content from this thread because Trolling is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

I don't have any real interest in this thread, at all. But in glimpsing the last few posts:

Those of you that think basketball cannot include roleplaying have obviously never see the Harlem Globetrotters "perform". 

I really wouldn't call that roleplaying.  But hey, that's me.

Section Six Soldier

Sign In to post comments