Most efficient way for Storm Sorc to gain Arc Lightning?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm currently playing a 10th-level Human Storm Sorcerer and I'd like to obtain Arc Lightning (or another two-target At-Will) when we reach level 11. My character's flavor is based around transforming over time into a Primordial, so changing to a different race is possible.  Some possibilities I've come across:

1) Be half-elf, take Versatile Master, take Adept Dilettante. Classic, though spontaneously sprouting pointy ears is questionable.

2) Be a Revenant, take Past Soul (Half-elf) and the combination above. Easier to rationalize in terms of fluff, but requires a lot of feats.

3) Be a Hybrid Sorcerer l Bard with Combat Virtuoso, paragon multiclass into Wizard. All told, a pretty huge investment.

Are there any other methods available to gain a two-target, non-area At-Will for a Sorcerer?
Lucky rolls with Chaos Bolt.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Why do you need it? Just for fun? You shouldn't need non-Ensorcelled Blade at-wills by Paragon.
Don't. Most efficient option. You won't even be able to hit anything, it is an Int-attack.
That's what Adept Dilettante / Combat Virtuoso are for.
The clear answer is to flop "Arc Lightning" and take the fear "Lightning Arc"!
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I'm currently playing a 10th-level Human Storm Sorcerer and I'd like to obtain Arc Lightning (or another two-target At-Will) when we reach level 11. My character's flavor is based around transforming over time into a Primordial, so changing to a different race is possible.  Some possibilities I've come across:

1) Be half-elf, take Versatile Master, take Adept Dilettante. Classic, though spontaneously sprouting pointy ears is questionable.

Just to point out, Aragorn was part elf, though mostly human. You could have been part-elf all the time, but never realized your ancestry and turning into a primordial is making that half-elf part more primary than it used to be...
Why do you need it? Just for fun? You shouldn't need non-Ensorcelled Blade at-wills by Paragon.

Besides just the cool factor of firing a lightning bolt from each hand, we've often had encounters where enemies are spread out and at long distances (15+ squares) away. In these situations, having a two-target at-will with 20-square range could nearly double my damage output compared to using Acid Orb. In our campaign, airships are common and aerial battles are semi-frequent. Arc Lightning would help engage enemy airships efficiently.

Do it as Helf/dilletante/CV. It's your best option in terms of feat-space intensity, and makes the least dramatic change to your character.

Plus, like Mommy_Was_An_Orc said, your character could have been part elf the whole time. Who says they need pointy ears?
Be an elementalist and use escalation for additional targets? Or switch to a Genasi Wizard?
The clear answer is to flop "Arc Lightning" and take the fear "Lightning Arc"!

Haha, nice. :P

Just to point out, Aragorn was part elf, though mostly human. You could have been part-elf all the time, but never realized your ancestry and turning into a primordial is making that half-elf part more primary than it used to be...

Do it has Helf/dilletante/CV. It's your best option in terms of feat-space intensity, and makes the least dramatic change to your character.

Plus, like MommyWasAnOrc said, your character could have been part elf the whole time. Who says they need pointy ears?

Mommy, that's a really good point and an awesome example. I might do that because Zhara's right; so far Half-elf seems like the most efficient option available.

Be an elementalist and use escalation for additional targets? Or switch to a Genasi Wizard?

Rebuilding my character as a Genasi wizard (especially Mage) is a really, really strong option. I'm trying to hold off since my Sorc is the only Charisma-based character in our party and I think I'd have to go Str / Int or Con / Int to get the most out of the Genasi Wizard... but damn, it would be strong. And tempting.

Besides just the cool factor of firing a lightning bolt from each hand, we've often had encounters where enemies are spread out and at long distances (15+ squares) away. In these situations, having a two-target at-will with 20-square range could nearly double my damage output compared to using Acid Orb. In our campaign, airships are common and aerial battles are semi-frequent. Arc Lightning would help engage enemy airships efficiently.

You're a striker, "spreading out" damage is the opposite of what you want to do. If you need to be a long range minion clearer, play a controller.... that is literally one of their primary design goals.

I've got to agree with Alcestis - using your standard actions for Arc Lightning is the opposite of "engaging enemy airships efficiently." Efficiency is hitting one guy as hard as you can til he's dead, which you should be doing with your encounter powers. If there are still several rounds after your encounters are spent, point the DM in the direction of the DM forums here. At the very least, the ships should close in and try to board you or something after a round or two.

Getting this at-will through dilettante is spending a lot of resources for something that really isn't that good. But since "just don't do that" usually doesn't seem to get across in a thread like this, here's an alternative - the level 10 alternative reward Kalak's Echo gives you an arcane at-will as an encounter power. Houserule it as CHA-based and you can still do your Lightning Arc thing once per encounter. You really shouldn't need it more than that.

I would also suggest Elementalist as Mengu mentioned, but the target restrictions of Escalation probably make it much less useful for you.
Since your DM is apparently fine with houseruling stuff, the best answer is to ask your DM to make all Wizard Evocation spells be accessible to Sorcerers. As CHA attacks, obviously.

I think making the entire school open is a mistake. What's the point of playing a Wizard now if you can just access Wizard spells as a Sorcerer? Assuming with the Sorcerer's Soul feature as well?

Honestly, I think that giving the entire school is a mistake, but I think that I'd allow you to just switch one of your Sorcerer At-Wills for Arc Lightning. That seems much easier than opening up an entire new class with no down-sides and you don't have to sacrifice any character options to do so. Suggest it, the worst they can say is no. I'd suggest allowing it to be Charisma-based instead of Intelligence, maybe even making use of your Sorcerer's Soul option.
Wizard EVOCATION spells. Whats the point in playing a Wizard? I dunno, the best control class. Nothing much I know but...
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
In truth, if you're trying to take a bite out of many targets far away, you would be well served by being a Genasi Wizard (Mage or Arcanist, your call) . They can get STR mod to elemental wizard powers, which is comperable to the bonus damage you get from your spell source feature. Combine that with a damage-type flopping implement (lightning weapon staff, or whatever) and you can get a unified damage type from your wizard powers. Pretty blaster-y, though your secondary stat-based power riders take a hit. If built that way you lose a lot of your control potential to get a moderate bonus to damage.

If you really want to continue being a sorc, Elementalist is a pretty good choice. It will give you the multi-target ability, though it does suffer in terms of damage output compared with Genasi wizards and base Sorcs.

Really you're in a sort of netherspace, as there's a lot of overlap in terms of roles between the Arcanist/ Mage and Sorc/Elementalist.
Getting this at-will through dilettante is spending a lot of resources for something that really isn't that good. But since "just don't do that" usually doesn't seem to get across in a thread like this, here's an alternative - the level 10 alternative reward Kalak's Echo gives you an arcane at-will as an encounter power. Houserule it as CHA-based and you can still do your Lightning Arc thing once per encounter. You really shouldn't need it more than that.

Sweet. Now Kalak's Echo is an efficient option; zero feats required, even if only as an encounter power. Thanks for the heads-up!

Unfortunately not, so some house-ruling would be required. Even without house-ruling, it might be worth it just to snag a power like Echoing Dirge from the Binder.
Getting Lightning Strike was too simple ?
Flavor-wise, if you want it to "match", then yeah, Half-Elf, Adept D and retrain your theme to Elemental Initiate, Emergent Primordial as your Epic Destiny, done.

But it's not optimized. Do you want good, or good enough?
Sign In to post comments