I am really angry with magic right now.

81 posts / 0 new
Last post
I really want to make a lifegain deck right now.

x3 Chalice of Life

x3 Felidar Sovereign

But because they havent been errated to "10 life more then starting" and "20 life more then starting", there prices are way more then they should be, and well beyond my budget.

Seriously guys, do you think the devolpers had 40 life totals in mind when designing these cards? Of course not, dont be stupid. Think about 2HG. 60 card decks, x4 cards, this thing is a 6/6 flying lifelink for :W:, and people are getting away with it. Its the saddest thing ive ever heard in my life. And now I cant make my deck because of an abused format.
[spoiler My Music][/spoiler]
Threw chalice of life in there. Thats a cheap card, maybe because they didnt break 40 life formats with the wording...
Why are they so scared to errata? If anything demanded it, this is it. Shocked it hasnt been done yet.
I don't think that has as much to do with it as them just being popular casual cards. They're fun even in plain, 20 starting life gameplay. Glimpse the Unthinkable isn't particularly good in any format and look how expensive it is.

L1 Judge

Disagree.
Because I had 4 of these online when they were 5 cents and used only for casual play.
Price shot up so hardcore when people figured out they could abuse, to 5 bucks. I quickly figured they would fix there mistake and sold mine.

They have droped to 1 since then, but I am not spending 4 dollars on 20 cents worth of card. They just need to fix there mistake.

Also, regardless if the price even drops, you cant disagree that the wording voids all forms of common sense.
They don't errata just to make things less broken, so it stays as-is. Imagine how much "fun" Felidar Sovereign is for EDH players in a "Thank God the dude with Omnath can summon Omnath and kill all the dudes playing white before Sovereign fires off." way.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I would completely agree and disown my case if I have confirmed proof the devolpers had 40 life game totals in mind.

The cards from inistrad says that dont in a way. And I think they are just too afraid to change it now when people are abusing it.
they probably haven't
but an errata now would be a functional change, and they try really hard to avoid those
proud member of the 2011 community team
Yeah, that's Innistrad tech. Before that, they didn't consider EDH or 2HG that much, except with individual cards
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
No, its not a functionality change. Its a common sense change. Those cards have no right to be doing what they are doing.
No, its not a functionality change. Its a common sense change. Those cards have no right to be doing what they are doing.

A functionality change changes a card's functionality (exactly as it says on the tin). This would change the card's functionality in 2HG and EDH.

Why don't they change Decimator Web too? The pun makes no sense in formats with high life totals.

By the way, you forgot Test of Endurance on that list.
139359831 wrote:
And this is why is hasnt been done. Not just picking on you dude I promise, but I guess this is just the general attitude of the game.

All I am saying is, if I started playing with paper cards when this came out, this would not fly with me. I promise even if I owned the card, I would not put it in my deck if we were playing 40 life, or I would at least make a house rule. I have always gone out of my way to make sure the rules are played correctly and that fair things are going on.

Whats going on in magic is the opposite of this. Oh 40 life!!! let me get 4 for my 60 card deck and WIN WIN WIN!! Is a 6/6 flying lifelink for :W: fair? Heck no!!!!

Of course, to try to counter it I would have to team up with someone and run x2 burn decks, Or run a plethora of 1 cmc cards that can deal with it. Or just run it myself. But the devolpers did not have 40 life games in mind, and this is pure explotation. This card actually caused the inistrads wording on chalice of life if I am not mistaken.

Anyways, for MTGO, the best you can do is say, "No Serra Ascendants." Thats prob why the price droped so hard, because everyone is just house rule banning it. Errata it and be done with it.

If you still disagree with me I guess thats never going to change, and its all good in the end. I guess my view of the situation was not as common sense as I thought.

Anyways, good day and happy playing.
Ok, I'm not seeing this supposed errata at all on Gatherer.

EDIT:  Oh wait.  I misread the OP.  The proposed errata is bad.  Further, if the OP is looking to keep his money, he chose the wrong hobby.

Also, lucky me who happened to have popped a foil Ascendant not too long ago.  Woo!

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I didnt realize there was those that viewed the wording as is good for the game.
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree, and be thankful that it wasnt a misprinted to 20 life. (they would "errata" that)
it's simply not broken

a 6/6 isn't so scary when you are sitting at 40 life compared to 20 life

and Felidar still needs 6 mana and survive a whole turn cycle
It's kind of scary when it's a turn-1 play. Surely we're not doing the 'dies to removal' thing, right?
why not? most removal is 1-2 mana

besides, I can swing with him as a 6/6 in a 20 life game by turn2 (Martyr of Sands can be bonkers)
It's kind of scary when it's a turn-1 play. Surely we're not doing the 'dies to removal' thing, right?

Still not as scary as Sol Ring. Commander is a scary scary format when played in certain ways. Pointing at individual pieces doesn't really mean a ton.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)

Yeah, because that won't paint a big fat target on your head.  Knee-jerk errata shouldn't be given to cards just because they're powerful in casual, 100-card singleton formats.  Yeah, sure it's a scary turn one play, but is it a scary turn ten play?  If nobody at the table can answer it in a reasonable amount of time, then good for that player.  They deserve the win.

Hey guys, I get that other cards exist, but isn't it kind of silly to say that an apple isn't broken because oranges?
Hey guys, I get that other cards exist, but isn't it kind of silly to say that an apple isn't broken because oranges?

That would be a deranged thing to say...but no one's saying that.  If I wanted to play Magic in a kidgloves, participation-trophy kind of way, I'd replace my Ascendant with Benalish Hero.

Oh well. 90% of games are just house ruled until they decide to ban the card instead of change the wording for a small niche format ((which is the way they orginaly intended the card to play)). Yeah thats really good for the game... (sarcasm)
Oh well. 90% of games are just house ruled until they decide to ban the card instead of change the wording ((which is the way they orginaly intended)). Yeah thats really good for the game... (sarcasm)

Yes, you're right.  The sky is falling because Serra Ascendant exists.  Loosen up.  Changing how a card works after the fact would be disingenuous on WotC's part.  Cards should be expected to function as printed.  Errata typically exists to bring the wording in line with modern standards, and has only on rare occasions changed how it actually worked.

By the way, where did you get this 90% figure?  I think I know where you pulled it from.  Anyway, just because you feel that strongly about it doesn't magically make it the majority opinion.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussi...
Case and point.
The 90% was pulled from this. After reading through the comments you will see what I am talking about.
Case and point.
The 90% was pulled from this. After reading through the comments you will see what I am talking about.

A.  People who post on comments on Gatherer are not a representative sample of Magic players.
B.  The most prominent comment was the angry manifesto you posted today.
C.  The dissenting opinions are a far cry from 90%.
D.  Changing how cards actually function is a fundamentally bad move.  I bet WotC would word it differently if they could have a do-over, but they don't.  They have to live with it and suck it up, as should everyone else.

E Thanks for "educating" me (/sarcasm)
Lets agree to disagree, even though your dead wrong on this one.

*you're

A few things:

You don't have to tell me it's sarcasm.
It's "you're" and not "your."
It's not possible to be wrong or right on this one because it's a discussion of opinion, not fact.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go negatively comment on some obscure printing of Forest so I can later cite it as proof that everybody hates Forests.

See, that doesn't work. 'We agree to disagree' implies a situation where no objectively correct answer can be arrived at. "You are dead wrong" directly contradicts that.

Even if it didn't, you are in the wrong here. Your position is "Wizards has made a mistake by not issuing power level errata for these cards." Unfortunately for you, they stopped doing power level errata on cards years ago. The only errata cards get these days are for rules fixes (Changing Summon to Creature and the like) and printing errors. Serra Ascendant falls into neither of these categories, so it doesn't get errata.

What Wizards does do is ban cards. Their position is that cards should always do what they say they do because it's important for players to be able to play the game without an online reference manual. So instead, they ban cards that are seen as too powerful.

If you think Serra Ascendant and Felidar Sovereign are too powerful in the format, then house rule a ban on them. If you don't think they're too powerful then don't.  Heck, do your house rule. Just don't expect Wizards to implement a piece of errata that goes directly against their policy.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Also I would like to point out...
2HG serra acendent is nuts
1) You cant make the "but its 40 life!!" arugment. If both players are aggro (Both running x4 serras, ect),  Then essentially you have to burn a 20 life total.
2) 6/6 flying on lifelink on turn one, because of an oversight, I would actually call it a misprint in my mind.
3) Are you really going to make the "dies to removal" argument on a stronger then baneslayer on turn 1 card, without any help from other cards?

In EDH, this is being called the top 5 open hand cards of all time. Thats right alongside sol ring and whatnot. And when your on the other side of the table, getting beat down with a 6/6 flying lifelink for 6 on turn 1, which the devolpers admitted was never supposed to happen, makes you go "No, you lost your mind?" Its unfun and bad for the game.   I would completely withdraw this statement if they designed the card intentional to do this in 40 life games, but they didnt, they overlooked it. And now they inveted this new wording for inistrad, refusing to correct a mistake, but will for every card in the future.

Also the "90%" was pulled out of my ass, but there is a few comments that are saying stuff like, "Just came from MTGO, the multiplayer room list was full of "NO serra acendants". Talk about ****ing format warping over a stupid oversight.
Case and point.

Comments on Gatherer are about 1 step above comments on your average Youtube video.

It seems to be mostly just the players who are so casual they cant even be bothered to find an actual forum.  I've seen so much horrible misinformation on there while checking out random cards.

None of these cards are even that amazing, not even starting at 40 life.  Decent certainly, but not even close to broken.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

I can't just sit and debate a brick wall all night.  I refuse.

Changing how cards actually function is wrongheaded and a poor customer relations move on WotC's part.  That's it.  I'm done.  This whole thread has become a big circular pile of nothing.

Case and point.

Comments on Gatherer are about 1 step above comments on your average Youtube video.

It seems to be mostly just the players who are so casual they cant even be bothered to find an actual forum.  I've seen so much horrible misinformation on there while checking out random cards.

None of these cards are even that amazing, not even starting at 40 life.  Decent certainly, but not even close to broken.

Thats why the price jumped from 5 cents to 5 dollars when everyone losts there minds and scrambled to play MTG (The game of broken oversights)
First off, complaining about a card being $7 is laughable.

Second, if it's only worth $7 it's not nearly as broken or overpowered as you seem to suggest in your fanatical ravings.

Third, an errata is not the answer here. You are suggesting that the card does something totally new, and that is not what erratas are for. The option you are looking for is a ban. You feel that they should be banned in the appropriate forum because they are disrupting the meta.

I can't speak for ascendant, but I know when I get my Felidar out in Commander, everyone switches direction and finds a way to kill him before my turn comes around again (which always happens). If you can't respond to him, well, you lose. Not a big deal, good game. Edit: Actually I took my serrra ascendant out of my Uril deck, because if he's not in your opening hand, he's not that good.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
Also agree to disagree means that we have different sides, and we are agreeing on that fact, but trying to end the convo.

YOU still think I am wrong (and probably some kind of stupid)
I still think you are wrong.

We are both trying to convince eachother, but I dont think the game should be abused because of an oversight. You do.

TL; DR
I win, last word.. moving on.
(Both running x4 serras, ect)

that's not legal

Dont care.
Stop abusing oversights you beuracratical bullies.
If you have to declare yourself the winner then you probably lost. Just saying.

Also just saying: Does anyone know how much input Wizards had when Serra Ascendant got patched in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 to function as "10 more than starting life"?
Also just saying: Does anyone know how much input Wizards had when Serra Ascendant got patched in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 to function as "10 more than starting life"?

not as such, but that would be the wording if they made the card today
since DotP doesn't have the "baggage" of older prints they went ahead and put the "errata" in
Its obv a sign they a proving my thread right.
Its obv a sign they a proving my thread right.

but you are wrong
they can't errata the card, since it is a functional change

if they make another card called "Serra's other Ascendant" it will use the "updated" wording
No you are wrong.
They obv agree with me. Proof, DOTP 2013.
But they are too scred to break there beuracratical nonsense.