Safeguard keyword ability.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Safeguard - Mana Cost

For example:
Safeguard

That mana is spent this turn, but you get it back at the beginning of the first main phase of your next turn.

Holder of Secrets 
Creature - Merfolk Wizard
: Safeguard .
2/2
So...what does it actually do? Is it just this?:

"Safeguard (COST) (When this enters the battlefield, pay (COST). At the beginning of your next precombat main phase, add (COST) to your mana pool)"

That seems pointless...

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

For example, turn 4 and you have 4 basic lands out.

You then play a creature for 2 and safeguard a further 2.

On your next turn once you've played another land instead of having just 5 mana to use, you've got 7, you could play a 7 mana creature with 5 lands out.

Other extension like things are also available.
Hm...I suppose. I dunno, I'd need some example cards to really see if it's worth it.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

How about this example?

I'm having difficulty not seeing this in Standard/Modern as being overpowered.

Delver Holder of Secrets 
: Safeguard .
2/2

Play on turn 3, using the ability on turn 4, to play somthing big on turn 5.
Oh, so it's an action word, not a ability word? Hm...so that example would get you...8 mana on turn 5? Yeah...might be kind of powerful.

There needs to be a drawback to it...maybe like "When you safeguard a mana cost, you lose life equal to its converted mana cost at your next precombat main phase."

So in your example, you'd tap and pay , then your next precombat main phase you'd lose 4 life and add to your mana pool.

Come to think of it...even that's not a major drawback for such a powerful effect...

Or to instead produce less powerful Safeguard cards, that could also include there own drawbacks.

Holder of Secrets
: Safeguard .
2/2
Sign In to post comments