DECKS THAT MAKE YOU GO "Hmmm......." Bant Control with Boros Reckoner (He's not just for RW aggro)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So it seems like everybody these days is playing Boros Reckoner. He's the new Thragtusk. He's got people scrambling for Gameday to find 4 copies of him (even if he is $20 a pop). Now don't fret that he is going to have to be cast with 3 White and no red, with Farseek and a slew of dual lands and Cavern of Souls, that shouldn't be a problem. Here we go:

Land: 23
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Temple Garden
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Sunpetal Grove
2 Cavern of Souls
2 Hinterland Harbor
2 Gavony Township
1 Island

Creatures: 18
2 Angel of Serenity
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Master Biomancer
3 Silverblade Paladin
3 Thragtusk

Instants: 12
4 Azorius Charm
4 Feeling of Dread
4 Thought Scour

Sorceries: 7
4 Farseek
3 Supreme Verdict

Sideboard:
3 Detention Sphere
3 Elite Inquisitor
3 Loxodon Smiter
3 Pithing Needle
3 Selesnya Charm

The goal is to swing with Geist of Saint Traft and Silverblade Paladin on the field. Soulbond the 4/4 angel token to Silverblade Paladin to swing for 8 damage in the air. If Master Biomancer is on the field, then it is even better and the angel is a 6/6 with double strike.  and Azorius Charm are there to help Geist of Saint Traft swing unopposed.

Some help is needed with the sideboard. Suggestions are welcome. Selesnya Charm is there to deal with Thragtusk and Thundermaw Hellkite. Elite Inquisitor for zombie decks. Pithing Needle for Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and Nephalia Drownyard. Loxodon Smiter for control decks. is probably the slot I need help with.

No Sphinx's Revelation?
No, and the reason is because this deck is supposed to be fast. In order for Sphinx's Revelation to relevant, I would need to do it for at least 3 or 4, and for that mana I would rather get out a silverblade paladin and a master biomancer or tap everything down by feeling of dread and using azorius charm to bounce a blocker back on top of the deck. This deck is all about using Boros Reckoner or Geist of Saint Traft as tanks and choosing who can block and who to bounce. In fact, I think I found a name for this deck "THE RECKONER BOUNCER: YOU CAN'T BLOCK IF YOUR NAME IS NOT ON THE LIST" Ok it's a little long but it really gets the point across, ya know?

The 3 verdicts should be Sphinx's Revelation in my opinion...and the biomancers should be snapcasters (there is no reason to run thought scour if your not considering running snaps), or 2 snapcasters 1 Biomancer. 23 lands is way way way way too low for this deck especially with 2 caverns and 2 gavony townships... I feel like you can't even run 2 townships in this deck. 4 feeling of dreads is too much, 2 seems fine, maybe 2 Moment of heroism (in love with this card after larsson played it to good effect, and it lets your reckoner just beat theres outright) Countermagic in the board seems like it would be ideal to deal with esper as well as having the verdicts in the board instead of MD. But overall i like where your going here.
Here is the updated list after some playtesting. The land are the same, they did fine with the thought scour and farseeks for land. I added 3 snapcaster mages and 3unsummons to really stick it to thundermaw hellkite and any other wanna be's who feel like stepping up. Instants are 3 across the board. Biomancer has to stay to have the 4/4 angels from geist enter as 6/6's and double strike for 12/6 flying. Tell me what you think of these changes. I haven't been able to playtest it yet.

Creatures: 18
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Snapcaster Mage
3 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Master Biomancer
3 Silverblade Paladin
3 Thragtusk
Instants: 12 
3 Azorius Charm 
3 Feeling of Dread 
3 Thought Scour
3 Unsummon
Sorceries: 7
4 Farseek
3 Supreme Verdict
1) Not Control.

2) I'm skeptical about the mana in this deck, specifically about Reckoner. 
1) Is control, due to azorius charm, unsummon, feeling of dread, ya know things that control creatures when they try to block (not everything has to be dissapate).

2)mana is fine, no problems with regards to reckoner 
1) Is control, due to azorius charm, unsummon, feeling of dread, ya know things that control creatures when they try to block (not everything has to be dissapate).

2)mana is fine, no problems with regards to reckoner 

1.) no, not control.  those cards don't make this a control deck.  control is an archetype, not i play things that affect creatures.

2. i'm also skeptical of the mana.  at least, there are a number of lands that might make it hard to cast reckoner on time.  also, might be a land or so short. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket