2/21/2013 Sealed Deck Exercise

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
I wanted to be greedy and play red too but I settled for Orzhov.

This Deck was built in 0:03:06

Total Deck Size: 40
17 Lands
---------------
8 Plains
9 Swamp

18 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Transport
1 Assault Griffin
1 Basilica Screecher
1 Daring Skyjek
3 Deathcult Rogue
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Guardian of the Gateless
1 Gutter Skulk
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Syndic of Tithes
1 Syndicate Enforcer
2 Treasury Thrull

5 Other Spells
---------------
1 Killing Glare
1 Knight Watch
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Prophetic Prism
1 Shadow Slice

I strongly considered running the second Shadow Slice since there were so many creatures with evasion, but I decided to stay on curve.  This deck seems really resilient.

This Deck was built in 0:09:48

18 Lands
---------------
3 Mountain
8 Plains
7 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
1 Basilica Screecher
2 Daring Skyjek
1 Deathcult Rogue
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Ember Beast
1 Firemane Avenger
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Sunhome Guildmage
1 Syndic of Tithes
1 Syndicate Enforcer
2 Treasury Thrull

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Boros Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Furious Resistance
1 Killing Glare
1 Mugging
1 Prophetic Prism

Basically, you want to keep the board clear on the other side, and make some damage early then finish your opponent using Extort, Treasury Thrull getting back creatures, etc...
The red splash allow you to play some burn spells, tricks and Sunhome Guildmage and Firemane Avenger, who are awesome in Sealed.

It's kind of an aggro-control deck, but it's able to hold the aggro-deck, win the race against Simic/Orzhov and hopefully kill Dimir before he can start to cipher.
The Esper version was also available, enabling the play of Hands of Binding, Agoraphobia and making more playable the Deathcult Rogue, but I think it's less explosive and have no real answers to Boros brainless all-in... 

Also, I think it's very important to keep the curve on average 3 mana, which seems to be the case here. 

8 plains
10 swamp

1 beckon apparition
1 executioner's swing
1 killing glare

1 assault griffin
1 basilica screecher
2 daring skyjek
3 deathcult rogue
1 dutiful thrull
1 guardian of the gateless
1 gutter skulk
1 kingpin's pet
1 obzedat, ghost council
2 shadow alley denizen
1 slate street ruffian
1 syndic of tithes
1 syndicate enforcer
2 treasury thrull

No need to splash anything, this sealed pool is ridiculous, it can only lose to itself.  Just keep play creatures, block and trade every combat step and overpower everyone.

This Deck was built in 0:15:22

18 Lands
---------------
2 Mountain
8 Plains
8 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Transport
1 Assault Griffin
1 Basilica Screecher
2 Daring Skyjek
3 Deathcult Rogue
1 Firemane Avenger
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Syndic of Tithes
1 Syndicate Enforcer
2 Treasury Thrull

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Boros Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Mugging
1 Prophetic Prism
1 Riot Gear

I probably should have included sunhome guildmage as the others playing red did. Overall I think the red splash is the best option which gives you mugging and firemane avenger to go with sunhome guildmage. The splash isn't difficult because there aren't a whole lot of color restrictions and requirements for the deck. With a single mana of each color you can cast all but 4 cards in the deck. With boros keyrune and prophetic prism you could even go down to 2 mountains and still be able to cast your red spells reliably.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Orzhov splashing red for the insane Angel, Mugging and Guildmage.  I was really unsure what to play as 21-23 so ended up with the triple rogue but I am not sure they were the best choice.

This Deck was built in 0:06:08

Total Deck Size: 40 17 Lands --------------- 3 Mountain 6 Plains 8 Swamp

17 Creatures --------------- 1 Assault Griffin 1 Basilica Screecher 2 Daring Skyjek 3 Deathcult Rogue 1 Firemane Avenger 1 Guardian of the Gateless 1 Gutter Skulk 1 Kingpin's Pet 1 Obzedat, Ghost Council 1 Sunhome Guildmage 1 Syndic of Tithes 1 Syndicate Enforcer 2 Treasury Thrull

6 Other Spells --------------- 1 Boros Keyrune 1 Executioner's Swing 1 Killing Glare 1 Mugging 1 Prophetic Prism 1 Shadow Slice

Dunno if this is the right thread to say this in, but in the last couple of weeks, the Sealed Deck Builder has been unavailable, or it won't load.

Is this a regional problem (Northern Europe), or is it just my computer pranking me? Up until the beginning of february, they were working all right, then all I see is a black screen. 

Help appreciated!

Fun fact: I had to make a new account to post this. Can't remember my old ones password or security question  

This Deck was built in 0:23:54

Total Deck Size: 41
18 Lands
---------------
1 Mountain
9 Plains
8 Swamp

17 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
1 Basilica Screecher
2 Daring Skyjek
3 Deathcult Rogue
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Firemane Avenger
1 Gutter Skulk
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Nav Squad Commandos
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Syndic of Tithes
2 Treasury Thrull

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Knight Watch
1 Mugging
1 Prophetic Prism
1 Shadow Slice

Guildmage look like an unnecesary splash, as this pool alredy has many ways to win. Shadow Slice goes well with the 3 Rogues. I think deck needs 18 lands

This Deck was built in 0:06:35

17 Lands
---------------
4 Island
6 Plains
6 Swamp
1 Dimir Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Bane Alley Broker
1 Basilica Screecher
2 Daring Skyjek
3 Deathcult Rogue
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Gutter Skulk
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Metropolis Sprite
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Syndic of Tithes

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Agoraphobia
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Hands of Binding
1 Killing Glare
1 Last Thoughts
2 Shadow Slice
1 Stolen Identity

I don't think treasury thrulls are very interesting. It's a preety fast format and our win condition here should be built more on evasion+cipher then extortion.  

The Boros deck is really powerful here, and the Black provides a nice bit of late game punch.  The mana is a bit shakey, but I think the power jump is well worth it, you don't want to leave the Avenger or the Ghost Counil in the SB

This Deck was built in 0:08:01

17 Lands
---------------
6 Mountain
7 Plains
4 Swamp

17 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Transport
1 Assault Griffin
2 Daring Skyjek
2 Ember Beast
1 Firemane Avenger
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Nav Squad Commandos
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Sunhome Guildmage
1 Syndic of Tithes
2 Treasury Thrull
1 Warmind Infantry
1 Wojek Halberdiers

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Boros Keyrune
1 Killing Glare
1 Madcap Skills
1 Mugging
1 Prophetic Prism
1 Shadow Slice

Rawr! Borzhov!  Battallion is soooooo easy to trigger in this pool.  I've got 10 creatures that either fly or are otherwise difficult to block, and 5 of the other 6 are unpleasant to block in most situations anyway (either through size or abilities).  The lone remaining creature is a syndic of tithes who just sits back and laughs as your opponent's life drains away.  Then there's mugging, killing glare and madcap skills.  Yeah...I think I'll be getting through.

Wasn't sure if should go Madcap skills or the second Shadow Slice but I decided to go with the lower cost card.

This Deck was built in 0:13:59

17 Lands
---------------
4 Mountain
5 Plains
8 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Transport
1 Assault Griffin
1 Basilica Screecher
2 Daring Skyjek
3 Deathcult Rogue
1 Firemane Avenger
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Sunhome Guildmage
1 Syndic of Tithes
1 Treasury Thrull
1 Wojek Halberdiers

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Boros Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Madcap Skills
1 Mugging
1 Prophetic Prism
1 Shadow Slice

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Borzhov (white-red-black) seemed very strong to me, despite the lack of fixer.

This Deck was built in 0:06:14

16 Lands
---------------
3 Mountain
6 Plains
7 Swamp

18 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Transport
1 Assault Griffin
1 Basilica Screecher
2 Daring Skyjek
1 Firemane Avenger
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Sunhome Guildmage
1 Syndic of Tithes
1 Syndicate Enforcer
2 Treasury Thrull
1 Warmind Infantry
1 Wojek Halberdiers

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Boros Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Madcap Skills
1 Mugging
1 Prophetic Prism

i'm planning on playing in grand prix charlotte in a couple of days and i've never done a grand prix before, although i love limited and booster draft formats.  any and all deckbuilding advice and constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated. 

i felt it would be ok to play four colors because of the available fixing.  Boros Keyrune, Dimir Guildgate, Prophetic Prism and Last Thoughts to help with drawing cards and fixing mana.

thanks for reading!

This Deck was built in 0:29:48

17 Lands
---------------
3 Island
3 Mountain
4 Plains
6 Swamp
1 Dimir Guildgate

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
1 Basilica Screecher
2 Daring Skyjek
3 Deathcult Rogue
1 Firemane Avenger
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Metropolis Sprite
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Syndic of Tithes
2 Treasury Thrull
1 Wojek Halberdiers

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Boros Keyrune
1 Hands of Binding
1 Killing Glare
1 Last Thoughts
1 Mugging
1 Prophetic Prism
1 Shadow Slice

This Deck was built in 0:06:34

17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
8 Swamp
1 Dimir Guildgate

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Bane Alley Broker
1 Basilica Screecher
3 Deathcult Rogue
1 Duskmantle Guildmage
1 Metropolis Sprite
1 Mortus Strider
1 Sage's Row Denizen
2 Shadow Alley Denizen

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Agoraphobia
1 Beckon Apparition
1 Coerced Confession
1 Hands of Binding
1 Killing Glare
1 Last Thoughts
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Paranoid Delusions
2 Shadow Slice
1 Stolen Identity
1 Voidwalk

I really wanted to go orzhov but obezat was hard to work with, so I went with dimir for evasive creatures and milling. I you have trouble with the sealed deck builder, refresh it

i'm planning on playing in grand prix charlotte in a couple of days and i've never done a grand prix before, although i love limited and booster draft formats.  any and all deckbuilding advice and constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated. 

i felt it would be ok to play four colors because of the available fixing.  Boros Keyrune, Dimir Guildgate, Prophetic Prism and Last Thoughts to help with drawing cards and fixing mana.

thanks for reading!

At times it might be ok to have two color splashes, however in this case I don't think you've made the right decision. A card like wojek halberdiers is not good as a splash. It's nice if you can cast it on turn 2 but if you don't expect to cast it until turn 4 or later then it looks less and less like a card you want to play. Since you need both red and white mana to cast it then you can't expect to cast it turn 2.

Notice with most of the decks that splash red they leave out wojek halberdiers but they include sunhome guildmage because they don't mind casting the sunhome guildmage on turn 6 when they finally draw a mountain because it will still be a good card late in the game.

With your splash in particular you're playing much fewer plains than the other decks. The issue here is the importance of having white mana on turn 2 which is HUGE for the cards you've selected. You've got 2 daring skyjek, and 1 syndic of tithes in addition to the wojek halberdiers that are 2CMC white creatures. With only 4 white sources in the deck the chances of playing any of these spells on turn 2 is not very good.

This Deck was built in 0:04:01

11 Lands
---------------
5 Island
5 Swamp
1 Dimir Guildgate

This deck needs more than 11 lands.
Dimir or Orzhov seemed like the colors to be in, with the possibility of splashing Orhov-splash-Dimir.

Being entirely greedy, I went for Orhov-splash-Firemane.

This Deck was built in 0:10:54

17 Lands
---------------
1 Mountain
8 Plains
8 Swamp

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
1 Basilica Screecher
1 Daring Skyjek