Village of Kled

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on a map of Kled.  I've scoured most of the resources 2e, 3.5e, other books that I can find for info on dwarves and Kled. There's a map that can be found online that I think accuratly depicts what is found in the books, particularly in the Crismon Leigon.  The map addresses many of the descriptions.  Windmill in the center pumps water, circular huts laid out in concentric circles, bordered by a circular wall, etc. I'm looking at creating a map similar to this with some modifications.

However, the problem I have is that although this map fits the descriptions provided by the books, it doesn't address some of the other essential needs that a village of ~450 dwarves would need to support it in the harsh deserts of Athas for 150+ years.  i.e. What are these Dwarves eating?  Are there any farms, livestock?  If so what would they be and where would they be located in relation to everything else?  What other things might be included in the village of Kled other than the well and roofless huts? 

Anyone have any ideas or resources to find info?
hmmm..... i would assume they rely heavily on imports from tyr's outlying pauper farms, and possibly Ft. Iron. i would think some of the reaches of under-kled former kingdom still has rich veins of minerals and gems that they can trade for there goods. iFrame RemovediFrame Removed
You've hit upon a problem with fantasy books in general that appears in countless D&D adventres (the "sealed dungeon full of monsters with no apparent food or water source").

I think you need to take a few liberties if you want a somewhat realistic village. It's not feasible that Kled would exist entirely on imported food; settlements that cannot sustain themselves die quickly in Dark Sun, unless they are supported through substantial effort and money by a city-state (for example, the village of Makla, which is worthwhile because of the obsidian it produces). Kled's hidden dwarven wealth cannot form a basis of its economy. In the books, the hidden city is very much a secret, and an ongoing trade in ancient items would have spoiled that secret long ago, even if the trade is kind of sub rosa. (I also don't think the dwarves would trade away their heritage).

Your best bet might be to surround the village itself with outlying farms--not big wealthy ones, but small subsistence farms that don't even have their own water source (all water is trucked from the single well in the center of the village). Realistically, most villages on Athas would be like that--farms, with a single "main street" in "town" with a couple dozen buildings along it.
that does sound betteriFrame RemovediFrame Removed
I was planning on taking some liberties in building the village of Kled. Add farms as I thought needed on the outside of the ring of huts and then another ring that encloses that, to keep the critters out.

What about trees?  Would they bother with having them other than for food and not for shade. With all the roofless huts, it's like they dont want to get out of the sun.

I agree that I don't think the dwarves are into trading away their wealth.  I get the impression they are not into trading with outsiders too much.  I also noticed that 4e gave Kled an obsidian mine, so I may incorporate that as well.

A couple of things I thought of:
Adding some herd animals, but I wasn't sure what the dwarves would favor for livestock.  Any ideas?

Adding perhaps a tall tower/temple for Sun worshiping ceremonies, on the east side of the village. Since they seem to center alot of activites around the sun.

I'm getting the impression that you won't find an inn for travelers in Kled, but you may find a tavern of sorts.  If they don't have shops, perhaps they have a weekly market in the plaza to sell and exchange goods among themselves.

A larger house for Lyanius and a few others, and maybe other buildings other than roofless huts that represent where other activities happen, a hall, etc.  I'm just looking for ideas that would fit into Kled to flesh it out a little more.

Hah, I forgot that they added that obsidian mine. That could be a good way to avoid adding too many farms and giving Kled a legitimate above-board trading option. I'm not sure I'll be keeping the mine in my version of Kled, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about adding entertainment options in Kled. A small village like that lives a hard life; the inhabitants work all day just to scratch out a meager existence, and most likely devote most of their free time to religion (which is how premodern European villages worked, too). Perhaps add a lodge for hunters returning from periodic expeditions for meat out in the wilderness, a place for them to tan hides, maybe an oddly out of place smithy that the dwarves quickly hide when outsiders come, a brewery of some sort, etc. But I wouldn't go overboard adding stuff; people really did live boring and monotonous lives scrabbling to survive.
also I agree you wouldn't find an inn, and if you want to underscore Kled's tininess, don't even have there be a standard fantasy-trope tavern. The handful of dwarves with leisure time and any travellers perhaps gather in the sunny town square or on the porch/stoop of the trading post or whatever.
In the books, the dwarves of Kled were so staid and butt-hurt about their Focus (most of which was protecting the ruins of Kemalok) and sun worship that they probably didn't care much for amusements. That being said, I always imagined them raising goats, due to their size, hardiness, broad utility, and also because in the books, that's what giants tend to raise as well, and (SPOILER) the first two giants (called titans in the Prism Pentad) were, in fact, dwarves. Of course, I could see them raising some other subsistence crops as well. I'd imagine a small 'green belt' around their town, which a central fortified storage depot (and potentially an auxilliary storage cache in the Kemalok ruins)... that would strike me as fairly dwarvish.
Don't forget that there's a pond nearby that they get water from (source: "A Little Knowledge" from DS1).
SyDarkSun, my 4e Dark Sun campaign
Sign In to post comments