Recoloring Innistrad, part 3

76 posts / 0 new
Last post
Previous topics:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Previously, we had humans and spirits.

To avoid getting to the juicy stuff so soon, it's time for the zombies.

Same rules as before:

1. You have 2 days to make a black, green or black/green zombie
2. You may only submit one card 
3. You may change your design before the deadline
4. The card must feel like something from Innistrad

Someone else will judge the end results. Till then, be creative.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I don't think you have any business hosting this.
Oh no she di-int

Oh yes she did. 
You look different Thoctar, did you geta haircut or something?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Decay Stitcher
Creature - Zombie
Undying
~ costs to cast less for each +1/+1 counters among creatures you control.
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may redistribute +1/+1 counters among creatures you control.
3/2

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Did Throctor's contest get stolen?  
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Chickens wants to know where throctor is.
Who's Throctor?

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm feeling a weird mix of flattery and offense.

I was going to finish the grades for round 2 and start round 3 today.
Wouldn't want to enter without Hairy's blessing.  I'm entering a Lawrdy Lawrdy Lawrdy...gotta have one that gives Zombies deathtouch and regen.

Grave Overlord
Creature-Zombie (Lord)
Deathtouch, trample, intimidate
Other Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1 and have deathtouch, trample and intimidate
: Regenerate each Zombie you control
3/3
Who's Throctor?

Throctor, Destroyer of Shiny things |
Legendary Creature - Goblin
destroy all artifacts.
shiny? ME HATE SHINY!
2/2
Ancient Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Whenever you lose life add X mana in any combination of or to your mana pool where X is the life lost.
Your mana pool doesn't empty as steps and phases end.
To know power you must know sacrifice.
2/2

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Okay, sooooo I guess everyone's cool with this being the official thread.

I don't really care one way or another, so, yeah, whatever

RECOLORING INNISTRAD, ROUND 3

Black green zombies.

Rules
1. You have 2 days (from the intial post is fine) to design a card.
2. You only get one design but you can change it before the deadline
3. The card must be black, green and a zombie creature
4. It must feel like its from Innistrad

Good luck!
Ancient Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Players must pay the colorless cost of spells with life instead of mana.
You cannot know power until you have given your life for it.
2/2

Congratulations on remaking Channel. Still broken, possibly more so. I'll have mine tomorrow.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Mosstomb Lich

Creature -- Zombie Shaman
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control while Mosstomb Lich is in your graveyard, sacrifice that creature and return Mosstomb Lich to the battlefield.
"Don't bother digging the plot too deeply. He won't be staying down there for long."
—Ricken, ghoulcaller of Kessig

4/3
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I am not okay with this being round three.
See my Grave Overlord post above.  I'd have done something with Morbid, but Deathtouch breaks Morbid.
At some point, perhaps people will realize that hybrid mana wasn't in Innistrad.  :P

Also, I have an issue with thread thieves, so unless HT really doesn't want to start their own thread, I'm going to refrain from joining this one.
Nettle Suturer
Creature - Zombie
~ enters the battlefield with 2 +1/+1 counters.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from a creature you control: Regenerate target Zombie.

1/0

Lazy entry. The theory is B/G zombies in Innistrad would use +1/+1 counters as flavorful mechanical portrayal of the mutability of zombie flesh.
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)

It Came From the Marsh
Creature - Plant Zombie Shaman
Zombie creatures can't have counters placed on them.
: Regenerate ~.
"Just head past Devil's Creek, go through Dead Man's Valley across Murder Bridge til you reach Corpse Dump Marsh."
2/2

Ancient Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Players must pay the colorless cost of spells with life instead of mana. If it has X in its mana cost, X is 0.
2/2

Congratulations on remaking Channel. Still broken, possibly more so. I'll have mine tomorrow.

I did forget that one line of oh so important text on that card which I think makes it not so broken.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
So, Innistrad represented each of its tribes differently through each color, which is something I've been trying to do here. So the good/evil divide of white-blue Spirits becomes a wrathful/mournful divide in the last round. I kind of dislike having to make a multicolor card for these contests because it then also means I have to mash together these different lenses.

Innistrad's black Zombies were the endless ranks while blue Zombies were stitched experiments. So what does this mean when Zombies are green-black, especially to avoid the Golgari trap? I think just shifting the endless ranks to green makes sense, as it doesn't really make that much sense for black anyway. Emphasize the consuming, assimilating, viral nature of the green zombies. They are not created by ghoulcallers but by plague, a banyan tree of horror stretching out from some unknown patient zero. Almost where Selesnya meets Golgari.

Black Zombies then embody some of the mad scientist feel but rather than a frenzied pursuit of knowledge, it's the need to demonstrate mastery over life or the heedless need for power or strength. It's the color of liches and witches; it's alchemists who will do anything to survive in this dark world, even if it's becoming the monsters they want to survive.

Black-green would then be:

Originator Witch 
Creature — Zombie Shaman
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put a blight counter on target land that player controls.
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, if mana produced by a land with a blight counter on it was spent to cast it, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever another creature with a +1/+1 counter on it dies, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.
4/4

It's unrealistic to slap flavor text on this. 
As a way of helping some of you all come up with ideas, the sole green zombie in Innistrad was Ghoultree; a zombie treefolk.

Treefolk in Innistrad are cause by nature spirits possessing trees, ergo, ghoultrees are caused by those same spirits possessing dead trees. So just apply that logic to other dead things.
Or something like that... 

Ghoul of the Rot |
Creature - Zombie
Creatures in your graveyard have Dredge 3 in addition to their other abilities.
If you put at least 7 cards from the top of your library into your graveyard transform Ghoul of the Rot.
Dredge 1
You come back won't you, I give you seed, so now you come back?

2/2

///////////////////////

Champion of the Rot
Legendary Creature - Zombie Lord
Other zombie creatures you control gain +2/+2
Champion of Entropy gets +1/+1 for each creature in your graveyard.
Hahahha come my brothers, it is time to feast.
2/2

my attempt at bringing dredge to innastrad. which in hindsight will probably have alot of people say nay to my entry lol.
Deathbloom Lich

Creature-Zombie Shaman
Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Though none would dare admit it aloud, all would agree in the power death wields on Innistrad. 
4/4
Ancient Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard
2/2

The part where he narrowed the effect and opened it up to both players while doubling the cost really pushed it over the edge. This thing makes Channel look like Storm Crow in comparison.
What?
Oh damn it, I thought I was being clever. 
Relius, Lich of Lambholdt :B::B::G:
Legendary Creature - Zombie Druid [M]
Death touch, intimidate
Whenever a nonzombie creature dealt damage by a zombie you control this turn dies, return it to the battlefield under your control. That creature is a Zombie in addition to its other types.
Whenever a zombie creature you control dies, put +1/+1 counters equal to that creature's converted mana cost onto ~.
"When I realized I couldn't beat back the swarm, I decided to command it instead".
3/3

I figure this guy comes out in the third set- Griselbrand Unleashed, when all hope is extinguished. See what you did there Thoctar? Messing with the color pairs doomed all life on Innistrad.
Ancient Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard
2/2

The part where he narrowed the effect and opened it up to both players while doubling the cost really pushed it over the edge. This thing makes Channel look like Storm Crow in comparison.

The sad thing is I didn't even notice the similarity with Channel until you guys pointed it out.  I did add the X is zero clause, does that make it any better?

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Ancient Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard
2/2

The sad thing is I didn't even notice the similarity with Channel until you guys pointed it out.  I did add the X is zero clause, does that make it any better?

I don't even know if it's broken without the X clause; OP for sure but maybe not broken. Possibly broken in standard, depending on the X spells available, but it seems reasonable in modern.
Also I'm not sure if your new clause works as written. Try making it only apply to NonX colorless mana costs perhaps?
What?
Oh damn it, I thought I was being clever. 

You were both independantly clever in the same way. Unless you copied his card, in which case I suppose you're still cunning, but not particularily nice.
I'm feeling a weird mix of flattery and offense.

I was going to finish the grades for round 2 and start round 3 today.

I still think you should.
Wow, uh, that was a pretty uncool thing to do Shamsiel. I'm with Rumor as far as not totally digging posting in a stolen thread, but I guess it's up to Thoctar...

I felt like Green was the weakest color in Innistrad as far as horror resonance goes. I'm excited to see whether people can capture it a bit more effectively here. It's a hard color to design for, in part because it's so nebulously defined compared to the other four.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
See what you did there Thoctar? Messing with the color pairs doomed all life on Innistrad.

I have no regrets.
You were both independantly clever in the same way. Unless you copied his card, in which case I suppose you're still cunning, but not particularily nice.

A lady never asks, and a gentleman never tells. ;D

I still think you should.

I've already posted the people's votes.
Kinda sorta hella busy at the mo; finals week.
Next weekend will be a lot of grading.

Wow, uh, that was a pretty uncool thing to do Shamsiel. I'm with Rumor as far as not totally digging posting in a stolen thread, but I guess it's up to Thoctar...

I don't particularly care.
I'm a bit miffed that he didn't contact me at first, but it's weirdly flattering that people miss the contest enough to go ahead without me. <3

I felt like Green was the weakest color in Innistrad as far as horror resonance goes. I'm excited to see whether people can capture it a bit more effectively here. It's a hard color to design for, in part because it's so nebulously defined compared to the other four.

Now you're making me self-conscious about whether or not my design is "scary" enough.
Stop that!

Depends. White struck me as weaker, mostly because white horror is less "B-movie" and more "history book". Anyway...

Opportunistic Ghoul

Creature--Zombie

Opportunistic Ghoul has power and toughness equal to the number of cards in all players' graveyards.

Morbid--If a creature died this turn, and Opportunistic Ghoul is in your graveyard, you may pay . If you do, return Opportunistic Ghoul from the graveyard to the battlefield. */*
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Gravemoss Shambler
Creature - Plant Zombie
Trample
~ gets +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard.
If ~ would be dealt damage, remove that many cards from your graveyard instead.
It's nourished by grudges of the corpses whose memories still linger in the soil.
0/0

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Multiplying Horde 

Creature - Zombie Elemental

Multiplying Horde's power is equal to the number lands in your graveyard.
Multiplying Horde's toughness is equal to the number of creatures in your graveyard.
: Put a copy of Multiplying Horde onto the battlefield without this ability.

And the zombies appeared in the forests, feeding off of the life around them.

*/* 
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg
Warm Body
Creature - Human Zombie
: target attacking creature deals no damage this turn
: destroy target zombie if it is not a human.
Little did he know that this "emotion" and "thought" would lead to the extinction of the zombie race as we know it.
1/4
Don't be too smart to have fun

Actually, I think it was the most well defined horror colour after . were generic horrors and was a mixture between 's flavour and demons.

in Innistrad was pretty much established to be the ancient wilds, the old, mysterious powers even more sinister than the demons. Then came Avacyn and the embodiments of the wilds became pet dogs.

Think The Great God Pan, only more hairy.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Really? I don't know, maybe it was just me but I felt like barring werewolves the Pan (or maybe Pan's Labyrinth) stuff didn't quite gel into a reliably scary sort of thing. There was too little stylistic variance, and the Werewolves drew focus too strongly. It doesn't help that Green/White was the protagonist color group for the most part...
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Well, I think it did at least a decent job. Aside from werewolves, humans and the occasional wild animal like elk and spiders, nearly all creatures were associated with ancient disturbing powers. 's elementals, usually just vines and roots, were mostly represented by hooded or rotting vegetation humanoids with Wickerman* echoes, for example. Treefolk were geist possessed or zombies, and the one dryad card seems exactly like Helen Vaughan's woodland cousin.

The only scary creatures I think that were poorly designed were the wurms, and that's because wurms are always dementedly unoriginal.

*Not the movie, but the folklore figure.
Sign In to post comments