OD&D Reprint - Best Way to Release?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/p...

First, I love the fact that WOTC is reprinting all the old editions of D&D. With that said, it would have been nice if this was released in a compiled paperback or hardcover format without the wood box or special dice. Just so the price point and useability would have been better.

Just a thought.

Cool

-S2 
I agree a cheaper version would have been more affordable.

But boy the Premium set looks gorgeous as a collector's item!

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Now that I think about it, should they have included "Chainmail" and "Supplement 5" also?

Surprised

-S2 
I agree a cheaper version would have been more affordable.

But boy the Premium set looks gorgeous as a collector's item!

My first reaction to seeing this was "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" lol

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

Absolutely agree with the "shut up and take my money comment"! Already going into my budget for this fall. I too want to thank WoTC for listening to the fans in our corner and coming out with these rereleases. It has done a lot to encourage my support for the company. Please keep 'em coming!

And I could be wrong, but even though the promo doesn't mention Supplement V Swords & Spells, I think it's in the picture. At least there are the right number of books, three original books and 5 others. So it may have been an oversight. And Chainmail would have been cool, but I don't think it was considered part of the original game was it?

...Unless that seventh "book" is the reference sheets ... you may be right about Supp V not being included. It certainly isn't listed. Undecided
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own." --Gary Gygax
There should really be two versions, with indentical books. There should be the limited edition fancy $150 version with the book box, dice, and anything else they can cram in. And a cheaper, simpler set in a straight cardboard box for people who just want the books. I'll pay for the latter, but not the former.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

Way too much!
I disagree.  This is the only way to do this release justice.  For the cheapskates they might do a pdf eventually.  The price is not as rediculous as you might think.  If any publisher put out the 7 books seperately they would be $10-$15/piece.  That covers $70-$100 of the price already.  Then the custom etched dice are worth $15-$20.  And that leaves the custom wood box.

This set is definitly worth $150 and will sellout at that price.
If kept at their original size, this would run 417 pages. That'd require a 2 book set, maybe 3 if you wanted to be cute. Paperback like the essentials line, $20 each - since they'll be black and white - this should work. No box. No dice. Then the collectors set for those who'd like. Plus, those are the wrong dice for the box. Should be dice like these. Wink 
I would really, really love those materials in a printed format. However, I can't justify the $150 pricetag. It's a real shame.

Great for those that can afford this but a big disappointment for those of us that can't.  
I agree with what's been said , I don't need a wooden box or more dice! I'd love a chance to buy just to books. It's not even the price really, I bought all the recent reprints just for reading and don't care what they cost because they were nice hardcover books to keep. I don't ever intend to play this edition, I just like reading these things for fun, these games came and went before I was old enough to play.

Insanely inexpensive. Seriously. Sadly, I am unlikely to see a paycheck that will allow me to own one of the originals.

I am sure I am not the only person that has been scanning Ebay, Amazon, and the reprirnt vendors for halfway decent copies of the Whitebox--even a 6th or 7th edition print that don't look like it had soaked in coffee or been run over by a truck for less than $300.00.

A Woodgrain set? I have a family. That's about all I can say there.

And Wizards sees fit to add four (?) Supplements, a COOL collector edition woodbox (or facsimile), Q-Workshop-esque dice, and crispy white orignals of the books that changed the world of gaming for a nickle less than $150? All over it! Bargain.

Amazon is accepting pre-orders for not quite half of the MSRP. Placing my order as quickly as I can--after my wife's birthday. Laughing
cheapskates

Or as we like to call them in the real world, people with wives/children/lives and budgets that dont allow a $150 purchase on a 30 year old game.

cheapskates

Or as we like to call them in the real world, people with wives/children/lives and budgets that dont allow a $150 purchase on a 30 year old game.

There is this thing called the internet, if you looked around you would already know that you could have this pre-ordered with free shipping from Amazon for $85.  Let me guess, still to expensive?

If that is the case, might try getting one of these things called a job!  And don't play the married/kids card on me as I'm in the same boat!
cheapskates

try getting one of these things called a job!

What other marvelous insights into my life did your crystal ball give you?

There is this thing called the internet, if you looked around you would already know that you could have this pre-ordered with free shipping from Amazon for $85.  Let me guess, still to expensive?

If that is the case, might try getting one of these things called a job!  And don't play the married/kids card on me as I'm in the same boat!

And just like that, from a friendly discussion, to... Frown

As a dwarven cleric, I cast bless on this thread.

Let there be cooperation and understanding (as it applies to our hobby). Smile 

And, damit! Throw your backs into it lads when it comes to mining the few veins of ore that come our way these days. Wink
Finally, placed my order for $86.97. www.amazon.com/Premium-Original-Dungeons...

Saved $63.02 and received free shipping.

Now the wait begins (November 19th), early Christmas present to myself.

DON'T TELL THE MISSES.   Laughing
I don't care much about SWORDS & SPELLS. I've owned a copy for years and never found much use for it, but they really should have included CHAINMAIL, if for no other reason because the OD&D rulebooks mention that CHAINMAIL contains the approprite rule for certain things. (For example, Fighting Capability is tied to CHAINMAIL combat. Certain characters and monsters get abilities "as per CHAINMAIL.")

Makes it hard to really understand OD&D when you're a key booklet short. Frown
Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975
Yeah...having read the original 3 booklets...this product will likely be confusing to some people because of the lack of Chainmail.

On the other hand, with the supplements that problem should be fixed. Although I haven't read all of these supplements, from my understanding they basically fillin the holes and make it playable without Chainmail. It's not an ideal situation though. I'm sorry to say this is likely just a money grab, and most people who buy it will never play it.