Instant Speed First Strike

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Some effects in standard and limited can give a creature first strike at instant speed (aerial maneuver and boros reckoner).

My question is this: is there a window to give first strike after the "first strike" combat phase such that the creature will deal no damage?

In limited, this came up when someone attacked me with a 4/4 into arrows of justice but I strongly suspected he had a 1 or 2 mana trick. If I put him on maneuver, can I wait until after first strike, cast arrows, if he gives his 4/4 first strike it deals no damage?

Similar situations can come up in constructed when you are being attacked by boros reckoner, need to block with your own boros reckoner but cant afford to take the life hit.

no

in normal strike damage step every creature that hasn't dealt damage that combat will deal damage
it doesn't matter if the creature also has First Strike, if it didn't get to deal damage in the first strike damage step for some reason it will deal damage then
proud member of the 2011 community team
My question is this: is there a window to give first strike after the "first strike" combat phase such that the creature will deal no damage?

You can give first strike to a creature after the first strike damage step, but that won't achieve what you wish: the creature will deal «normal strike» damage anyway.

See rule 510.5 for details. 

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

That is a bit disappointing. I suppose the trick works against double strike so they only hit once, but I doubt that would come up very often in standard or limited given the current card pool.
If I may...
give a creature first strike at instant speed

We don't use the words «instant speed» anymore because it confuses players into believing speed matters. The accepted term is «instant timing» now.

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

That is a bit disappointing. I suppose the trick works against double strike so they only hit once.

No. Even if they get First Strike, they will hit twice if they still have Double Strike. Granting FS does not remove DS.

@Chaikov Interesting... had not heard about that. Also with the double strike I meant, if a creature gets double strike after the first strike phase, I would assume it only hits once, or does it hit twice? 

Say they attack with a 3/3 and then I have arrows but they have wrecking ogre and bloodrush in response but I wait until after first strike step to cast arrows. Their 3/3 becomes 6/6 and survives, do i take 6 or 12? 
Also note that if there are no creatures with first strike or double strike, then there is only one combat damage step.

In your original example the window to even attempt this doesn't exist (without other first strikers)
MTG Rules Advisor
Wow the window doesnt even exist... the rules are more complex in this area then I suspected... so some of these "tricks" are only possible if there is an unrelated creature that has first strike. So... If I try to arrows the 3/3 and he gives double strike (bloodrush wrecking ogre, I take 12 because suddenly there is a first strike step... but if he has another creature with first strike that has already dealt first strike... then... I can arrows and if he bloodrushed ogre on a 3/3 it only deals 6??
no

he can simply Bloodrush Wrecking Ogre before the combat damage step
you can still use arrows in response to the Bloodrush to stop him
@Chaikov Interesting... had not heard about that. Also with the double strike I meant, if a creature gets double strike after the first strike phase, I would assume it only hits once, or does it hit twice? 

Say they attack with a 3/3 and then I have arrows but they have wrecking ogre and bloodrush in response but I wait until after first strike step to cast arrows. Their 3/3 becomes 6/6 and survives, do i take 6 or 12? 

If a creature gets double strike after the 'first strike combat damage step', it will not retroactively deal damage in that step — that opportunity has passed. It will deal 6 damage to you in the second combat damage step.
@K9GM3 Whats confusing me is that there is no first strike step unless there are creatures with first strike, which implies to my mind that if I arrows he could bloodrush and deal 12, since its not possible for me to wait until after the first strike step because it doesnt exist, but, if there are other creatures in combat with first strike, the step does exist, and then I can wait until after first strike to cast arrows and not take such a brutal beating. This is all assuming K-Mogg's claim of there not being a first strike step without creatures with first/double strike
if he wants to grant a creature double strike he has to do so before the combat damage step
otherwise there is no first strike damage step

if he waits until the first strike damage step (if there is another creature with first/double strike) the creature that now has double strike will NOT deal damage in the first strike damage step, because that turn based action is already over
This is all assuming K-Mogg's claim of there not being a first strike step without creatures with first/double strike

This claim is confirmed by rule 506.1.

I appreciate the clarifications. I think what you guys have said makes perfect sense, I just didnt realize it worked that way. 

If I wrote the rules I would just have a first strike/normal strike damage step that always exist, because the current way seems to have these very weird timing rules where different things are possible depending on if there are other creatures with first strike out there. That is not rules question so much as my own personal rules philosophy, and I think in terms how the rules actually work I now understand.
In fact, the Combat Damage Steps (regular & first strike) actually are optional:
508.6. If no creatures are declared as attackers or put onto the battlefield attacking, skip the declare blockers and combat damage steps.

if you are really interested why certain steps don't happen (for example if you declare no attackers there is no "declare blockers" or "combat damage" step) and aren't simply ignored try asking below in Rules Theory and Templating
some guys actually writing the rules regularly respond there
This is all assuming K-Mogg's claim of there not being a first strike step without creatures with first/double strike

...Sort of.

Here's what happens after you declare blockers:

1) Players have a chance to cast spells and activate abilities. Your opponent could hypothetically bloodrush Wrecking Ogre or cast Aerial Maneuver at this time.
2) The declare blockers step ends and the combat damage step begins. The game checks whether any blocking or attacking creatures have first strike, double strike or both. If no creature has either ability, then steps 6 and 7 do not happen.
3) The creatures with first strike and/or double strike assign and deal combat damage. If there are no such creatures, all creatures deal combat damage instead.
4) Players have a chance to cast spells and activate abilities. Your opponent could hypothetically bloodrush Wrecking Ogre or cast Aerial Maneuver at this time.
5) The combat damage step ends. The game either proceeds to the end of combat step, or to a second combat damage step.
6) The creatures that didn't have first strike at the start of the previous combat damage step deal combat damage, as do all creatures that have double strike right now.
7) Players have a chance to cast spells and activate abilities. Again, your opponent could hypothetically bloodrush Wrecking Ogre or cast Aerial Maneuver at this time.

So, a comprehensive recap. Let's assume that your opponent's creature is a Centaur Courser with no counters or extra abilities, and that no other creatures have first strike or double strike: