Help with my Mono Black Deck please!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please keep in mind, I have a tight budget to work with. I seen Conley Woods' MBC deck and was interested in it, but with my budget I couldn't afford the majority and what makes that deck affective. Here is my current Mono Black deck.

Lands
22x Swamp

Main
3x Ultimate Price
3x Victim of Night
4x Tribute to Hunger
4x Mutilate
4x Sign in Blood
3x Tragic Slip
4x Vampire Nighthawk
4x Gloom Surgeon
2x Bloodgift Demon
4x Desecration Demon
3x Underworld Connections

The deck plays out with ALOT of removal. I like removal. Alot. Playing a Desecration Demon and then before combat using my removal to prevent them from either sacrificing them to tap the Demon or just block. I needed alot of gaining life cards to keep my head above water from the draw spells that ping me once for card I draw from it. and with 4 sign of bloods, 3 underworlds, and 2 bloodgifts, im gonna be drawing cards and losing life, often. So I use Vampire Nighthawk and Tribute to Hunger to gain me some life. and I love tribute to hunger, it has worked so well for me. Gloom Surgeon is the master of stopping aggro. at the cost of a few exiled cards, he stops them in they're tracks. only way to get rid of his is to use the little burn the aggro deck carries, which they would prefer to save to use on the nighthawk.

I'm considering putting Essence Harvest in the deck, being it works very well with Desecration Demon if the opponent is tapping him down every combat step, AND it gains me life which I need. But You can now see what my budget is with my mono black deck. I play with this exact build on MTGO, and playing against multiple $300 decks it holds it own very well. I mean with 17 removal spells, not alot stays on my opponents board. Except for Planeswalkers (bastards). I have no answer for them..

For the SB I haven't made anything officially just yet, But I was considering maybe a set of Rise from the Grave because I wouldn't mind a Thragtusk of my side of the field that i'll inevitably encounter. and with the amount of removal I mainboard, its hitting the graveyard.

Please offer any suggestions or advice. thank you!

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Regarding Planeswalkers, you could splash red for Dreadbore; or are you set on completely mono-black?
Really like the list! :D this is verry similar to a MBC list I started right before Coloney Woods' and i'm glad to see its getting the recognition it deserves! personally i'm a bit skeptical about gloom surgeon, but thats just because I don't like losing cards XD oh...its only combat damage....well I suppose that changes things a bit. Only other suggestion I have is possibly some devour flesh yeah giving them life sucks, but being able to dodge hexproof and indestructible a turn sooner that tribute to hunger is always nice. Also if your looking for a bomb replacement Lord of the Void is a solid replacement for Griselbrand and I beleive he is relatively inexpensive...but he can be kind of hard to get to without crypt ghast. other than that check out this thread for a couple more ideas
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
Yeah I wanted to keep it mono black because mainly I can't afford to splash a color. and the devour flesh is great but like how you are about losing cards, I am about giving them life. and yeah the lord of the void is gonna be tough to cast without crypt ghast and I dont want to add a playset of one card to play another card.. but gloom surgeon is great!, Oh my opponent plays a reckoner and gives it first strike for some reason, I double block with gloom and it dies. first strike doesnt mean anything, double strike doesnt mean anything, double blocking kills just about every attacking creature in the standard meta, and the gloom surgeons survive to even attack the next turn if no creeatures are on the other isde of the board. but ya I love mono black, its fun to play, and I have so much card draw i'm constantly keeping a full hand and I always have a removal spell for that matter. 
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Sign In to post comments