What do you look for in a divine creator?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
For those of you that don't believe in D&D evolution theory... how do you define God and what sorts of Classes, Features (Including ACF), and Feats really make God? Does God (Or Batman really), use Skill tricks as well? Or do spells just render these trivial things meaningless.

What is a God Wizard and how do you do it right? 
god would be an undefined, cause unexistant npc :D JK
i would go for a focused transmuter, who has every craft feat, to create the universe. at least the craft for golems. Or he could go with permanent summon monster.
god would be an undefined, cause unexistant npc :D JK i would go for a focused transmuter, who has every craft feat, to create the universe. at least the craft for golems. Or he could go with permanent summon monster.

............................................________ 
....................................,.-'"...................``~., 
.............................,.-"..................................."-., 
.........................,/...............................................":, 
.....................,?......................................................, 
.................../...........................................................,} 
................./......................................................,:`^`..} 
.............../...................................................,:"........./ 
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../ 
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../ 
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/ 
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....} 
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../ 
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../ 
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-" 
............/.`~,......`-...................................../ 
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__ 
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-, 
.....`=~-,__......`,................................. 
...................`=~-,,.,............................... 
................................`:,,...........................`..............__ 
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==`` 
........................................_..........._,-%.......` 

This question is difficult to answer, due to the upper end of God wizards being pretty crazy, but God wizards that don't make the as-printed gods piss their pants? The standard God wizard was, last I checked, Wizard 5/Mindbender 1/Incantatrix 10/X 4, with Spontaneous Divination, of course. I, personally, like putting Divine Oracle in there, but Sacred Exorcist, or even Anima Mage or the like works. Of course, most Batman wizards look similar, but that's just because this build gives you basically everything you need and more.

On to feats, Extend/Persitst, Craft Contingent Spell, and Uncanny Forethought are the only mandatory ones I can think of off the top of my head, plus the unblockable and amazing Mindsight if you go Mindbender, but if Simulacrum is on the table, then a Wizard can simply tailor his current feats to whatever he needs at a whim. 

Skill Tricks are usable, when appropriate. Remember, though, wizards, despite being Int-SAD, only have two skill points a level and really should have all the important Knowledges maxed. So, if you have a good skill trick you can afford, great, that's one less spell you need to blow to make the DM cry, but it's not a real loss if you can't.
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
?? ... Divine version of TM20's god Wizard perhaps ??

DH_'s DMM Heighten Cleric fits the bill, even a "lite" version.

Technically Atropus was the Prime Mover as Elder Evils says.
(not now)  But all of the Elder Evils are specifically anti-divine.

To beat him to the punch would take:
time travel back to the very beginning
super shapechange into a Unique being (atropus)
1 Omni Knowledge check for a how-to, to create the d&d mutliverse
sub Pun-pun level ability to carry it out

5E mini- SRD available now in HTML here:  http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

Why wouldn't Simulacrum be on the table? It's a PH spell. Seems fine to me.
Why wouldn't Simulacrum be on the table? It's a PH spell. Seems fine to me.

It's one of those spells with a high potential for abuse since HD are the only hard limit on the creature it can replicate, and it grows automatically in usefulness with every new creature introduced to a game (much like polymorphing spells).

It's fine if the DM has a firm hand on what they allow, but some prefer to simply avoid it.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
That sounds suspiciously like a drunken post, AR. ;)

Being God is about knowing everything (you need to know) and being able to do everything (you need to do given the aforementioned knowledge).

Spells take care of most of it. I'd single out Craft Contingent Spell among the specific pieces EA mentioned: if one assumes the ideally played God Wizard at high level, then he can largely choose the timing of his battles, hence Persisting and "spontaneous" casting (Uncanny Forethought & co) are less vital.

OoP's characters
My current character in Real Adventures Play-by-Post games:

• Maeve in The Lost History of Istar

Kinda rage drunk I suppose, but not actually imbibing at the time. I try to avoid that, I get even worse when drinking and posting. Good feedback on the idea OoP. I'm thinking it comes down to proper foresight and prep, which can unfortunately eat up session time and bog down the game for other players, depending on how proficient the DM is at handeling it. 
Indeed: I'm not sure playing alongside a fully optimized wizard is much fun at all.

OoP's characters
My current character in Real Adventures Play-by-Post games:

• Maeve in The Lost History of Istar

It's not. That's why nobody likes EA. His philosophy seems to be "If it's not fully optimized, it's not worth playing."
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
It's not. That's why nobody likes EA. His philosophy seems to be "If it's not fully optimized, it's not worth playing."

No, it's "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well."
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth

(personal attacks notwithstanding) Exactly. The Stormwind Fallacy: that people can allegedly optimize OR role-play, but not both? Ignoring the possibilities of 

• Role-playing characters as trying to survive a very violent world, and wanting every trick they learn from others to do so?

• People who care about their characters from role-playing them will want to keep them alive

• The faster combat goes, the faster they can "get back to" do other kinds of role-play (even though phrasing it like that could still falsely imply a distinction)

That was written so that people wouldn't make mistakes like "D&D is a combat simulator, playing pretend is for 10-year-olds."

Founder and figurehead of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, add mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.
The key distinction in draco1119's post is the "fully optimized" part.  There certainly are different levels of "optimization" but I believe many of us see EA's points as "if you could do ANYTHING better with the character then you MUST do that and if you don't your an idiot."  If optimization was graded many of us would be ok playing with a B or maybe even a C character but I get the opinion that for EA you need to be playing with an A or A+ character otherwise you aren't doing things right.

Of course I could just be thinking of another poster who sometimes comes around before managing to get himself kicked off again.
EA is that poster. He's been kicked a couple times, too.

Note the identical posting styles, absolute terminology. As soon as you see absolute judgement, you know they are wrong, and what follows is not to be taken seriously.

I consider them trolls, just looking to start internet fights. I certainly don't consider him an expert on the game!    

==Aelryinth
Fighter vs Warblade analysis http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19573526/Analyzing_the_Fighter_vs_The_Warblade The Lockdown F/20 iconic build http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19856162/A_little_Lock_build_for_you
Sign In to post comments