U/B dimir/mill/aggressive ness

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
i really want to focus on my creatures for winning with the mortus strider and undercity informer as my coolest combo to me and then consuming aberration with jace mind adept and duskmantle guildmage and nightveil specter to steal stuff GG o and orge slumlord i could use 1 less i'm not sure i like blue controlling and black controlling and mill to me is controlling. but controlling with a board presence is even better
Creatures-20
3 x Mortus Strider
3 x Undercity Informer
2 x Balustrade Spy
2 x Shimian Specter
2 x Ogre Slumlord
2 x Consuming Aberration
2 x Duskmantle Guildmage
4 x Nightveil Specter

spells-14
2 x Psychic Strike
2 x Paranoid Delusions
2 x Mind Grind
2 x Dimir Charm
2 x Undercity Plague
3 x Stolen Identity
1 x Omniscience

artifact-4
4 x Prophetic Prism

planeswalkers-5
2 x Jace, Memory Adept
3 x Jace, Aarchitect of Thought

41 cards total without land

12island
9swamp

62 cards total 
To do auto-card, its Card Name[/c"] remove the (").You have the start of a deck there thats for sure, do you have a solid plan as to what you want to do with it?Yes, the [c]Mortus Strider and Undercity Informer work as a combo, but the strider costs a lot to play it every turn, maybe replace it with a cheap undying creature like Butcher Ghoul then you only have to pay its casting cost once and you can do the combo twice and if you need a chump blocker, it can serve that purpose as well.

also, you don't seem to have a good creature to cipher Paranoid Delusions onto, maybe try Deathcult Rogue or Invisible Stalker.

Ogre Slumlord doesn't fit the overall feel and flavor of the build so I would take him out for 2 more Consuming Aberration's. Also pull out the Nightveil Specter's and 1 of the Jace, Architect of Thought. the Stolen Identity is more of a Sideboard card because you really don't know what creatures if any your opponent will be running so it may end up being a dead card.

I would also add in 2 more Psychic Strike's and 1 more each of Paranoid Delusions and Mind Grind and maybe work in some more land overall up to 22-24
I would also recommend 2 Nephalia Drownyard 4 [c]Watery Grave and 4 Drowned Catacomb if you can get them. then 6 to 7 each of the basics. so this is how I would build this deck.

still a total of 62 but much more consistant and more cohesive of a build.
another fun combo is to pay for the Duskmantle Guildmage's first abillty twice followed by Jace, Memory Adept's 0 abilty and that is instant death for your opponent unless they have had some life gain. Also don't forget that the cipher from Paranoid Delusions also triggers theConsuming Aberration's, each one is seperate from all the others. if you have all 4 of the aberrations out and you have all three of the delusions ciphered onto the Invisble Stalker's, you would get to trigger each aberration 3 times (one for each Delusion) basically meaning your opponent would have to mill until they put 12 lands into the graveyard most would probably scoop at that point and give you the win.

Good luck with your deck.
hey man thanks for that awesome post you put quite a bit of thought into it.

i knew i had the start but i wasn't quite sure how i wanted to work in the other sets that are in standard right now. i think the undying guy
Butcher Ghoul is perfect i wouldhowever like to include a sidboard of fog blanks and way more counters. i like the Paranoid Delusions thing you were talking about with Consuming Aberration i think i finally know how to work this dimir deck i believe it will havea vvvvvvery good chance at winning standard. i wanted a mill deck that can win standard because thats what i used when i first played and they all told me it was bad but now that dimir is out i think it will show them whos topdog ;)
I've been working very hard on building a good Dimir deck myself.  I find myself moving more and more away from creatures and toward a planeswalker based U/B control deck because the other decks frankly have just better creatures on the whole and it takes a lot of removal to stay alive against aggro decks.

In my current and so far most successful build, the only creatures main deck are 3 [C]Consuming Aberration[/C] and 4 [C]Snapcaster Mage[/C].  I don't have access to my exact list at the moment or I would post. 

My observation is that dedicated mill cards other than [C]Mind Grind[/C] (of which I run three) stink in practice.  I would definitely run four [C]Thought Scour[/C] since that draws cards at instant speed with incidental mill.  You really need card draw to make this work.  I've got a couple of [C]Think Twice[/C] also.

My planeswalker suite is 2 [C]Jace, Memory Adept[/C], 2 [C]Tamiyo, the Moon Sage[/C], and 2 [C]Liliana of the Dark Realms[/C].   

I am running  4 copies of [C]Mutilate[/C].  Since the only body I really care about (Aberration) is huge by the time I cast it, this will usually sweep the board and leave that as the only creature standing.  I have a singleton [C]Elixir of Immortality[/C] main deck to recycle if need be and the life gain is often crucial. 

[C]Cyclonic Rift[/C] is a nice card for buying time in the early game but capable of producing a clear path for Aberration for the kill. 

I've been working very hard on building a good Dimir deck myself.  I find myself moving more and more away from creatures and toward a planeswalker based U/B control deck because the other decks frankly have just better creatures on the whole and it takes a lot of removal to stay alive against aggro decks.

In my current and so far most successful build, the only creatures main deck are 3 [C]Consuming Aberration[/C] and 4 [C]Snapcaster Mage[/C].  I don't have access to my exact list at the moment or I would post. 

My observation is that dedicated mill cards other than [C]Mind Grind[/C] (of which I run three) stink in practice.  I would definitely run four [C]Thought Scour[/C] since that draws cards at instant speed with incidental mill.  You really need card draw to make this work.  I've got a couple of [C]Think Twice[/C] also.

My planeswalker suite is 2 [C]Jace, Memory Adept[/C], 2 [C]Tamiyo, the Moon Sage[/C], and 2 [C]Liliana of the Dark Realms[/C].   

I am running  4 copies of [C]Mutilate[/C].  Since the only body I really care about (Aberration) is huge by the time I cast it, this will usually sweep the board and leave that as the only creature standing.  I have a singleton [C]Elixir of Immortality[/C] main deck to recycle if need be and the life gain is often crucial. 

[C]Cyclonic Rift[/C] is a nice card for buying time in the early game but capable of producing a clear path for Aberration for the kill. 

I really like this idea... I'd like to see you post a thread with the decklist so I could have a look at it.
Xylovenious

honestly i think my deck idea for dimir would smash yours.
ok so this is my deck that i got to use for fnm and i have edited it some for this post of stuff i took out. there will be a rating of how many stars on how well it performed for me if no stars doesn't mean bad i tjsut didn't hold any value for me.

starting with one drops.

4x Jac's phantasm***
4x Unsummon*
1x Artful Dodge ***
1x Tragic Slip
1x Killing Glare

now onto 2drops

1x Hands of Binding
2x Wight of Precinct Six
4x Paranoid Delusions***
2x Fog Bank***
2x Mind Grind***
3x Duskmantle Guildmage*
3x Prophetic Prism it gave me a extra draw for 2 mana so i liked it but could take out if needed

3drops
4x Nighveil Specter**
4x Psychic Strike***

4drops
2x Jace, Architect of Thought** was nice for allowing me to view others peoples decks and i took notes on what was in it.

5drops
3x Consuming Aberration** was nice for casting spells with cipher
1x Jace, Memory Adept***

6drops
1x Stolen Identity its in my sideboard which i hardly have one
2x Undercity Plague**** the only 4 star that is my new/edited deck that i used for FNM.

i know it needs some stuff so i am going to be adding in
4x Invisible Stalker
4x Dissipate
2x Syncopate trying to spell them off the top of my head the syncopates will probably go into my sideboard. and 2 unsummons will head into my sideboard along with the killing glare and the tragic slip.
sorry didn't mean to bump but what about playing 4 consuming abberations get them out on the field as fast as possible not worrying about saving mana fora  counter incase of anything which would put you at 8 mana. then once their out play unsummon on one of them or more becuase whenever you cast a spell.

so 4 consuming abberations second affects. thats 4 land say you revealed 2 cards thats 12 mana then unsummoned one now theres 3 on field and played consumming abbeartion again daaaang that would be nice. i think ima try to go for the mill win option tonight and maybe add in mindsculpts and thought scours because their nice 1 drop 2drops 
I really like the idea of artful dodge here.  The biggest problem with having a 34/34 consuming aberration is that he can be chump blocked all day long.  I watched a guy lose 6 games because of that yesterday.  And every time he did, he would say something to the effect of "if you didn't have that spirit token, I would have won."
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
i don't have money for the land but oh well

land is 28 total because of the control. if too much i'll sideboard some and go down to 25.
4x Dimir Gate
12x  swap
12x island

creatures-18
4x Jace's Phantasm
4x Invisible Stalker
3x Duskmantle Guildmage
3x Nightveil Specter
3x Consuming Abberation

spells-21
4x Spell Rupture
3x Mind Grind
4x Hands of Binding
4x Devour Flesh
3x Psychic Strike
3x Paranoid Delusions

i have 7 counters 9 mills(because of psychic strike) and 8 spells for control devour flesh because of indestructble and hexproof.

planeswalkers-5
3x Jace, Memory Adept
2x Jace, Architect of Thought possibly sideboard this guy

total cards without land
 44.....not a good number with land 72

now i usally run 24 land and i think thats the perfect number for me with a 60 card deck.
24/60 gives you a 40% chance to draw a land

with 72 cards in deck and 28 land you get a 38.8% chacne to draw a land giveing you almost the exact same standard so i think i might be ok with this

sideboard
3x Undercity Plague
3x Shadow Slice
4x Butcher Ghoul

i'm not sure about butcher ghoul as he is taking up space and i do have under city informer but not in deck because id on't know why i'm just not focused on sacking my guys. or here may replace for geralfs messenger or vampire nightawk

what about for sideboard i keep the undercity plague and shadow slice but no creatures and add only in destruction black magic. for dealing with their crap because i feel that is what the other decks are all about are their creatures but dimir is more about creature and spell workign together 
for a sideboard of destroy's

4x Ultimate Price
4x Tribute to Hunger
4x Tragic Slip
3x Killing Glare