Creature bonus vs counters

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have a card effect like Glorious Anthem that gives creatures a +1 bonus and I then bring a creature into play. Does the creature coming into play receive a +1 counter? Or does the creature only receive the bonus as long as the enchantment is in play? I've heard it both ways and the rulings are stupid long and full of examples that I don't see appling here.

If I have a card effect like Glorious Anthem that gives creatures a +1 bonus and I then bring a creature into play. Does the creature coming into play receive a +1 counter? Or does the creature only receive the bonus as long as the enchantment is in play? I've heard it both ways and the rulings are stupid long and full of examples that I don't see appling here.

The creature does not get a counter.  The bonus only exists while the enchantment is on the battlefield.  If the effect does not say it gives counters, it doesn't.

The creature does not get a counter.  The bonus only exists while the enchantment is on the battlefield.  If the effect does not say it gives counters, it doesn't.

Sometimes it can, see the difference? Triggered ability <-> Static ability, p/t boost <-> counters that give p/t boost

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

I play in the same game as Dr. Bell (don't let him fool you he's only a chiropractor). Anyway we need a little clearer answer.

Do they stay if they are counters?

The way we were told to play is if an effect says all creatures get a +1 +1 it is permanent if the creature came out after the enchantment but temporary if the enchantment came out after the creature.

Is that correct?

Also is it different if the card says it give counters? I could see counters being permanent.

Do they stay if they are counters?

Counters remain where they are until something removes them.

The way we were told to play is if an effect says all creatures get a +1 +1 it is permanent if the creature came out after the enchantment but temporary if the enchantment came out after the creature.

This is very unclear, so it probably is false.
Bonus effects which are not counters remains only for as long as stated on the card granting it.
For enchantment, it usually means as long as the enchantment is in play, and affect all creatures in play.
For sorceries and instants, it usually means until the end of turn and only for those creatures which are in play as the spell resolves.

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

Glorious Anthem will give all of your creatures +1/+1 it doesn't matter when they came into play.

If the Glorious Anthem leaves play, your creatures lose the +1/+1

If you cast Overrun only the creatures on the battlefield when it resolves get the +3/+3.

Neither of these deal with +1/+1 counters.  +1/+1 counters will stay on a creature until it changes zones, or something specifically removes them.
MTG Rules Advisor

Thanks guys that makes sense.

That's how we used to play it, before our friend that plays with little kids told us otherwise. Thanks

Sometimes it can, see the difference? Triggered ability <-> Static ability, p/t boost <-> counters that give p/t boost

The Crusade says it gives counters, so it does. How is that different from what I said?

The Crusade says it gives counters, so it does. How is that different from what I said?

I know I quoted you but it was to add info for the OP.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.