looking for a tank/striker

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
im looking for ideas on building a tank for the group, we have a rogue, cleric, mage, ranger, and another rogue. I want to be able to be up front soaking dmg but also dishing out hish amouns as well.
How about a dwarven fighter/runepriest (wrathful hammer)?

18 str
18 con
12 dex
8 int
12 wis
10 cha

With brash strike you can dish out slayer levels of damage. And when your marked target hits you back, you can do 2x your con modifier in damage. If things get a bit too dicy, you've got runic healing and your second wind to fall back on. 
im looking for ideas on building a tank for the group, we have a rogue, cleric, mage, ranger, and another rogue. I want to be able to be up front soaking dmg but also dishing out hish amouns as well.

With that classic line-up why fiddle with anything and if it ain't broke don't fix it.
FIGHTER. 

"Something, something, something, Darkside. Utini."

Or if you want to rule them all, have the cleric switch to a Warlord and make sure the Ranger and at-least  one of the Rogues has a MBA worth a damn. Then you can play a Dwarf Fighter|Cleric w/Battle Clerics Lore and a Gouge.

With two rogues around, how much reason is there for building another striker, when you can just be part warlord and piggy back on their damage? Swordmage|Warlord or something in those lines should do the job. Spend your resources on being tough, and swing your rogues for damage. In a six man party, another half a leader is never bad either.
With two rogues around, how much reason is there for building another striker, when you can just be part warlord and piggy back on their damage? Swordmage|Warlord or something in those lines should do the job. Spend your resources on being tough, and swing your rogues for damage. In a six man party, another half a leader is never bad either.

I like this idea, you go tactical presence for the warlord part.  Combat leader.  Enable the strikers and be the front line.  Interesting to play.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I might look at Fighter|Barbarian or Fighter|Ranger hybrid. Both give some solid options for being the party Defender, yet at the same time cranking out some damage. 
Straight warlord.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
What levels are you planning to play? It can change the answer a lot.
Swordmages Hybrid very well but tend to get rather complicated. There are swordmage/warlord and swordmage/warlock builds listed in the hybrid section of the stickies collection thread. All though in this circumstance I would recommend ditching defense and going straight combat leader warlord (at will power commanders strike or direct the strike)

All players go before monsters... CHAAAAARGE!!!!
Dragonborn, Half-Elf or Tiefling Charisma Paladin. Use your own healing to keep yourself up-right and let the cleric keep the actual strikers up and running. Charisma gives the team a party face. 

Half-Elf or Tiefling Chaladin|Bard beefs up the face skills Hybrid Talent for Paladin armor keeps you in Heavy Armor for frontline work and Barb could offer some enabling. 

Paladin|Warlock is fun.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

update to the party, one of the rogue had dropped, also forgot to mention that we are starting at level 1... i've never played a warlord so i really dont know how to go about those lines of creation. there are some really good ideas here and anymore would be very appreciated as well, thank you
Swordmage|Battlemind mass permanent marking and enforcement gives you off turn attacks.
Check this out. It's a monk/cleric that is not a defender, but is very resilient and can provide healing

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Straight up Fighter, or Swordmage|Warlock (Genasi or Warforged CON'Lock).
update to the party, one of the rogue had dropped, also forgot to mention that we are starting at level 1... i've never played a warlord so i really dont know how to go about those lines of creation. there are some really good ideas here and anymore would be very appreciated as well, thank you

How long have you been playing and what types of PC's are in the specified group?
(?)Rogue,(?)Ranger,(?)Mage,(?)Cleric

Even with losing one of the rogues and your desire to be a frontline damage sponge i would still recommend some type of Paladin. As of right now unless the Cleric or Rogue and perhaps at the outside chance the Mage are CHA secondary or tertiary no one will have the "Party Face" role covered. Not totally necessary but could come in handy.

A Dragonborn mass sanction/challenge type would work well and both Dragonfear and Breath are viable options.

Another thought, is if everyone is ranged, go for a slow/push/immobilize/prone build.  Then just play keep away.

Unfortunatly, i can't think of a good way to do that at level 1.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Another thought, is if everyone is ranged, go for a slow/push/immobilize/prone build.  Then just play keep away.

Unfortunatly, i can't think of a good way to do that at level 1.

1 way is to get some of that at 1st is to go Human Weaponmaster(Fighter).
18/11/15/8/14/10 w/Alhulak+H-Shield/Flail Expertise/Dragging Flail
1 Hand Weapon Talent/Combat Challenge
Footwork Lure
Tide of Iron
e1 Spinning Sweep
d1 Villian's Menace

After that you keep adding goodies to the already great base.

Two more thoughts could be Fighter|Paladin(?) and the Warden.
A Dwarf Hammer and Shield Dwarf w/WSG and the proper power choices is a tough, durable damage sponge and an OK defender for home games through heroic. 

Sign In to post comments