Question About First Aid

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

A group of friends and I have recently started playing a 4ed campaign (first experience with D&D for all of us). We've played a few sessions and I am having trouble interpreting rules concerning first aid. More specifically, I'm not sure exactly how healing is handled on a dying a character.

For example, the party cleric gets knocked unconscious. Another member of the party stabilizes her. How does the downed person get healed? Do they get to use a healing surge immediately? On their next turn? Do they have to have second wind? I'm under the impression that the healing skill itself doesn't heal, only applies first aid. Is that correct?

I would really appreciate any information concerning the matter if anybody would be kind enough to enlighten me. 

An ally can stabilize a dying character with a DC 15 heal check, or they can trigger the dying character's second wind with a DC 10 heal check. If nothing else is done, a stabilized character would be able to spend surges after a short rest (5 minutes out of combat).
An ally can stabilize a dying character with a DC 15 heal check, or they can trigger the dying character's second wind with a DC 10 heal check. If nothing else is done, a stabilized character would be able to spend surges after a short rest (5 minutes out of combat).

So if the down character has already used second wind, the person can stabilize them so they stop making death saving throws, but not get them into an up position until after a short rest?

So if the down character has already used second wind, the person can stabilize them so they stop making death saving throws, but not get them into an up position until after a short rest?

Correct.

Keep in mind, if they are healed, you start at 0. So, -7hp gets healed for 8, they are at 8hp. 

Correct.

Keep in mind, if they are healed, you start at 0. So, -7hp gets healed for 8, they are at 8hp. 

Sounds good. Thanks for the information guys.

Also, IIRC, if someone triggers your Second Wind in this way, you get the healing but you don't get the +2 to defenses.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Siegfried is correct, they don't get the defensive bonus if you trigger their Second Wind.

Additionally, you can use a Standard action to administer a potion to an unconscious or willing creature, if you already have the potion in hand.  So if your cleric is unconscious and has already used second wind but has healing surges left, you can administer a Potion of Healing to get the cleric back to 10 HP.  This is about the only scenario in which potions of healing are actually useful, as character surge values quickly outpace the 10 HP it grants.
Sign In to post comments