Is there a Black, Blue, Green, or Colorless card out there that can remove a +1/+1 counter?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's say that I wanted to keep Undying on some of my creatures.  A creature I control dies during my opponent's and comes back with a +1/+1 counter.  During my turn, is there a card that removes that +1/+1 counter so that Undying can trigger again?  Is it as simple as something like Crippling Blight or do I need a card that specifically reads that it removes a counter?

Thanks in advance

SG

Edit: After doing some looking, it appears that Zameck Guildmage is the only card in Standard right now that can actually remove a +1/+1 counter.  But, please let me know if I'm missing another card.
You would need to either give it a -1/-1 COUNTER (nt just a static -1/-1 like the blight does) or have an effect that specifically removes the counters. In green and blue you could use Zameck Guildmage
Zameck Guildmage
Thrull Parasite

Bioshift

currently in Standard there are no cards that give -1/-1 counters (WotC doesn't like to mix them in a block, and both ISD and RTR hat +1/+1 counters)
so you have to remove the counter more directly
proud member of the 2011 community team
You would need to either give it a -1/-1 COUNTER (nt just a static -1/-1 like the blight does) or have an effect that specifically removes the counters. In green and blue you could use Zameck Guildmage

You read my mind.  Thanks!  That's exactly what I needed to know.

SG
I use bioshift and thrull parasite for my Messengers.
I use bioshift and thrull parasite for my Messengers.

Another great idea!  Thank you!

SG
You can also use Ghostly Flicker and the other blink cards from Avacyn Restored to get rid of the counters.
You can also use Ghostly Flicker and the other blink cards from Avacyn Restored to get rid of the counters.

Ghostly Flicker + Archaeomancer + Geralf's Messenger would be an awesome combination.  I'm just not sure I have room for Ghostly Flicker and Archaeomancer without having to take out some of the other cards that are in my deck.

SG
Yeah if you're getting to 4 cost you may as well leave the archaeomancer and flicker out and get conjurer's closet and make it automatic.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
I personally like Ooze Flux. It removes the counters from as many creatures as you want and gives you a ooze token at that end! Its a good way to keep an undying engine running allowing you to sacrifice things like Young Wolf to things like Bone Splinters giving you cheap removal and at the end a ooze! Nice for devour decks also that rely on undying creatures.

Hope this helps GL!
To expand upon this, are there any in red. I am in the same boat, wanting to keep reanimating my undying. I know I could Gravepurge or Unburial Rites but I would like to know if there is something more instant, giving -1/-1 counters. Like the Heartless Summoning(if onlyCry) I thought would work.
-1/-1 counters would work
currently there are no cards that give -1/-1 counters in Standard
proud member of the 2011 community team
As a large amount of Undying are about to rotate out, I don't much care if my deck were to be un-standard or un modern. It's a theme deck for me that I think would be fun to fun if I could gather the right peices.

Edit: I see Blowfly Infestation would work as long as I can get the inital -1/-1 counter on a creature.
Contagion Engine puts negative counters on everything your opponent controles, then you perliferate and it doubles them. Though this is no good against any counter reliant decks, though I guess it would stop them growing.
I'm already splashing red for the Flayer of the Hatebound so Hex Parasite, Fume Spitter, and Hatchet Bully (really like him) are perfect.
Sign In to post comments