ouch! build advice - hybrid battlemind

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

Please help me pimp this character more.  Do not post here about rules etc., that's not what Im here for.  I want optimization suggestions only.

So there are a few elements to this build that work in tandem to make a pretty beastly character.  Things I think it could probably do without: hyrbid ranger, multiclass avenger.  Things it could use more of: bonus to hit (no idea how to crank out any more here, some flight ability) 

Suggestions/Ideas:
Boots of +2 flight speed.
Withering dagger.
Disciple of Inspiration (+1 to hit)
Nimble blade (+1 to hit w/ withering dagger)

Tricks:  

Blooded Champion level 16 feature lets you remain conscious while dying, overcoming any objection that when you end the daze from Unnatural Vitaity you would fall unconscious. [This revenant cheese is always a hot button issue, so if you have other ways around it, I would love to hear them]

Net result: 6 actions per round when sub-0 hps.

Master of Moments gives you three more actions when you spend an action point.  So once per encounter (more or less - see symbol of victory and violet solitaire for additional APs), that means you have 9 actions.

Use non-proficient weapon to assure a miss with one brutal barrage attack, switch to khopesh for remaining attacks.  Use brilliant recovery 5 to 8 times depending on whether you action point.  Roughly 250 damage (400 on AP round).  

Daily combo: Mind blade, coup de grace brutal barrage, legendary item, coup de grace brutal barrage.  Roughly 1000 damage.

Sensate feature let's me use encounters/dailies to gain temps for additional below zero fighting help.

Suggestions welcome.  

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
SHARGO!, level 27
Revenant, Ranger/Battlemind, Blooded Champion, Master of Moments
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Power Point Option
Choose your Race in Life: Minotaur
Spellscarred
Scorned Noble (Scorned Noble Benefit)
Theme: Sensate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 21, CON 26, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 17, DEX 12, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 36 Fort: 37 Ref: 38 Will: 32
HP: 169 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +21, Endurance +30, Intimidate +21, Religion +18, Stealth +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, Athletics +18, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +14, Dungeoneering +15, Heal +15, History +13, Insight +15, Nature +15, Perception +17, Streetwise +14, Thievery +16

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Mind Spike
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Fox's Cunning
Battlemind Utility 2: Concussive Response
Battlemind Attack 5: Nightmare Vortex
Religion Utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Battlemind Attack 7: Lightning Rush
Stealth Utility 10: Persistent Tail
Blooded Champion Attack 11: Follow-Up Gore
Blooded Champion Utility 12: Bloodthirsty Shift
Battlemind Attack 13: Brutal Barrage
Battlemind Attack 13: Web of Betrayal
Battlemind Attack 15: Mind Blade
Ranger Attack 15: Blade Cascade
Ranger Utility 16: Wolfjaw Blows
Battlemind Attack 19: Aspect of Squamous Horror
Blooded Champion Attack 20: Driving Gore
Battlemind Utility 22: Psychic Feast
Ranger Attack 23: Avalanche of Fury
Master of Moments Utility 26: Freeze Time
Battlemind Attack 27: Brilliant Recovery

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Reflexes
Level 2: Disciple of Divine Wrath
Level 4: Focused Mind
Level 6: Axe Expertise
Level 8: Death's Quickening
Level 10: Born of Shadow
Level 11: Beast Within
Level 12: Icy Heart
Level 14: Deadly Axe
Level 16: Wintertouched
Level 18: Heavy Blade Opportunity
Level 21: Ghostly Vitality
Level 22: Headsman's Chop
Level 24: Axe Mastery
Level 24: Superior Initiative
Level 26: Lasting Frost

ITEMS
Rovikar's Dagger +2
Circlet of Arkhosia (epic tier) x1
Death Song Ring x1
Stone of Wind
Horreb Ritual Cube
Dice of Auspicious Fortune
Thieves' Tools
Adventurer's Kit
Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier) x1
Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier)
Eager Hero's Tattoo (paragon tier) x1
Battle Harness Ray Leather Armor +5 x1
Hidden Dagger +5 x1
Legendary Gauntlet axe +5
Enshrouding Candle
Survivor's Boots x1
Gloves of Ice (epic tier) x1
Elven Chain Shirt (paragon tier)
Life Charm +6 x1
Frost Fury Khopesh +6 x1
Opportunistic Tortoise blade +1
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier) x1
Loadstone Statue
Solitaire (Violet)
Symbol of Victory +2 x1
Ring of Giants x1
====== End ======

And the part of this that hasn't been done 10 times before?
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
And the part of this that hasn't been done 10 times before?

It's definitely a combination of several different optimized builds.   Never claimed it was original.  Just looking for ways to make it more effective as a combination.
Don't go anywhere near a withering weapon - by the time you've hit a creature enough times for it to matter, it ought to be dead.

As for to hit 13[level]+8[con]+6[enh]+3[feat]+2[proficiency]+2[CA] = +34, which is hitting on 7s for at-level monsters. You could get +2 more by using a rapier and taking nimble blade.

Btw, I would call BS (or more formally bag of rats) on deliberate missing using a non-proficient weapon. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
It is not bag of rats.  There is a non-trivial (1/20) chance that it wont work, and bag of rats is about attacking defenselss non-combatants to get a benefit (ala supreme cleave of 3.5).  

Hitting on 6's actually, since you aren't counting Beast Within (+1 to hit when bloodied).  

That would be hitting on 5's with a withering dagger.  So on an AP round, use oath of emnity,  miss once with Tortoise Blade,  hit 7 times with withering dagger, hit 8 times with brilliant recovery (miss on double 1's).   Nimble blade would be good, but that might have to wait until next level (hit on 3's I can deal with)

I can tell you practically though, that a boss fight I am trying to hit an AC of 45 (or more).   Which is only hitting on 9's.  Far from guaranteed even with the oath of emnity.  My goal is always almost guaranteed hitting of the boss.  And of course, sick and strikery though this combo is, if all I do in a given round is give a target -4 to AC and deal 150 damage, my allies are very happy.  

If I overshadow them and do 1000 damage myself?  Not so much.  So I am almost definitely adding withering to the build.  Only break out the NOVA when things are going very badly.
Blooded Champion level 16 feature lets you remain conscious while dying, overcoming any objection that when you end the daze from Unnatural Vitaity you would fall unconscious.  Net result: 6 actions per round when sub-0 hps.

That doesn't overcome the objection. In fact, if anything, it makes it absolutely clear cut that you don't get the extra actions for multiple reasons:
Blooded Champion kills it. You stay conscious and therefore don't have the choice between being dazed or unconscious as you're not going to fall unconscious.
Assuming you get a DM to allow to choose anyway, when you recover from the dazed, you fall unconscious as per Unnatural Vitality. You can then make yourself stay up via Blooded Champion, but then you're not staying conscious via Unnatural Vitality, you're staying conscious via Blooded Champion. 
You have a 1/20 chance of missing a rat.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Blooded Champion level 16 feature lets you remain conscious while dying, overcoming any objection that when you end the daze from Unnatural Vitaity you would fall unconscious.  Net result: 6 actions per round when sub-0 hps.

That doesn't overcome the objection. In fact, if anything, it makes it absolutely clear cut that you don't get the extra actions for multiple reasons:
Blooded Champion kills it. You stay conscious and therefore don't have the choice between being dazed or unconscious as you're not going to fall unconscious.
Assuming you get a DM to allow to choose anyway, when you recover from the dazed, you fall unconscious as per Unnatural Vitality. You can then make yourself stay up via Blooded Champion, but then you're not staying conscious via Unnatural Vitality, you're staying conscious via Blooded Champion. 

No, you are doing that in the wrong order.  

When you drop to 0 hit points or fewer and are subjected to the dying condition, you can choose to be dazed, instead of falling unconscious. You make death saving throws as normal, and if you fail one, you fall unconscious instead of being dazed.

So that happens, and I chose to be dazed instead of falling unconscious.  That is the precondition for the two Revenant action feats:   "If you drop to 0 or fewer hit points and choose to remain conscious due to Unnatural Vitality..."

So at this pont, everyone agrees, I am dazed, conscious, dying and have three actions in addition to the standard I can take while dazed.

Then my turn starts.   I use the Circlet to "make a saving throw against one of those conditions at the start of your turn. If you save, you can act normally on your turn."  

Assuming I succeed,  now I am not dazed.  

Some people (who customer service does not agree with) say that I should fall unconscious.  I don't know why, since I am still under the effect of unnatural vitality, but if you think I should just because I'm not dazed anymore, I show you my paragon path says "you don’t fall unconscious as a result of the dying condition until you fail a death saving throw."

Believe me, I wish I didnt have to choose minotaur past life option - I think its totally a b.s. rule's call to say that you fall unconscious when you are no longer dazed, and it would really help me a lot if I could be a human instead of a minotaur, but if someone needs to stretch the rules that much, this should address it.  
You have a 1/20 chance of missing a rat.

From the DMG, the definition of bag of rats:  "When a power has an effect that occurs upon hitting a target—or reducing a target to 0 hit points—the power functions only when the target in question is a meaningful threat. Characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in hopes of healing their allies by hitting the rats."

The target is a meaningful threat, and the effect occurs upon missing a target.  Thus, it is not bag of rats. 

No, you are doing that in the wrong order.  

When you drop to 0 hit points or fewer and are subjected to the dying condition, you can choose to be dazed, instead of falling unconscious. You make death saving throws as normal, and if you fail one, you fall unconscious instead of being dazed.

No and quite clearly no.

Are you capable of falling unconscious when you drop to 0 hit points? Your paragon path says no at 16th unless you fail a death save. It isn't worded as being an option.

As you're not going to fall unconscious from being subjected to the dying condition, you therefore cannot choose to be dazed instead of falling unconscious. Because you can't fall unconscious in that way.

Now assume you somehow sucker a DM into believing that your Paragon Path level 16 is a choice...

Assuming I succeed,  now I am not dazed.  
Some people (who customer service does not agree with) say that I should fall unconscious.  I don't know why, since I am still under the effect of unnatural vitality, but if you think I should just because I'm not dazed anymore, I show you my paragon path says "you don’t fall unconscious as a result of the dying condition until you fail a death saving throw."

i.e. You are not staying conscious at that point in time from Unnatural Vitality, you're staying conscious from Never Say Die. "If you drop to 0 or fewer hit points and choose to remain conscious due to Unnatural Vitality, you can take a move action and a minor action in addition to the standard action Unnatural Vitality allows."

So exactly what standard action is Unnatural Vitality allowing you when it is not in use?
Again, you are not understanding the timing of how the Unnatural Vitality feature works.  The trigger occurs at a point in time.  Once that trigger occurs, all of the consequences happen.   Was I reduced to 0 or fewer hit points?  Yes.  Was I subjected to the dying condition?  Yes.  That completes the trigger for Unnatural Vitality. Then at that set point in time I chose to become dazed.  Not to remain dazed, not to continue being dazed. I dont have to keep choosing to become dazed.  Becoming dazed is a single point in time.

To make it more clear, imagine I had the Fierce Vitality feat, which lets me remain conscious until I fail two death saving throws.  Then assume I fail the first one.  At that point, I am definitely not staying conscious due to Bloodied Champion.  The only way I could be conscious is as a result of Unnatural Vitality.  

And I can't trigger Unnatural Vitality after failing the first save, because I am meeting the trigger condition of being reduced to 0 or fewer hit points.  I am already UNDER THE EFFECTS OF BOTH FEATURES. 

They are two different features that allow you to stay conscious under two similar (but not the same) sets of events, and both of them can be active at the same time.

To look at it another way, assume I use something that only lets me ignore the effects of being dazed  (Fighter's grit for example).  If the argument is that "the effects of being dazed" include being conscious, then for this turn, I would fall unconscious... except that the Bloodied Champion feature stops that, then at the end of next turn, I'd return to being dazed and still be under the effect of Unnatural Vitality.  

To look at it yet another way, you need to seperate out the clauses.  
Unatural Vitality does two things: 1) Let's you chose to become dazed and 2) Let's you remain conscious until you fail your first death saving throw (or second saving throw if you have Fierce Vitality).
Bloodied champion does one thing: 1) Let's you remain conscious until you fail your first death saving throw.

Features don't just turn on and off like you are suggesting.  The only thing that ends the feature is no longer being below 0 hit points (at which point you would no longer be getting any benefit from either feature since you are conscious as a result of being above 1 hit point).
Again, you are not understanding the timing of how the Unnatural Vitality feature works.  The trigger occurs at a point in time.  Once that trigger occurs, all of the consequences happen.   Was I reduced to 0 or fewer hit points?  Yes.  Was I subjected to the dying condition?  Yes.  That completes the trigger for Unnatural Vitality. 

No, it doesn't.

You must also be able to choose being dazed instead of being unconscious in order to complete the trigger. If you can't go unconscious, you can't choose to instead be dazed. You can't normally go unconscious. Therefore, you can't normally choose to be dazed instead.

The only thing that ends the feature is no longer being below 0 hit points.

If the argument goes that if you make your save against daze, you go unconscious because you are no longer being affected by Unnatural Vitality, the problem is not that you're unconscious, the real problem for the build is that you're no longer affected by Unnatural Vitality because you saved against the daze. Now you're making it absolutely clear cut that regardless of what the DM thought you were doing, you're staying conscious from a feature other than Unnatural Vitality.

There's no reason at all to take this paragon path. None. It does the exact opposite of what you think it does for your build.
Again, you are not parsing that sentence correctly.
"You do not fall unconcious until you fail a death saving throw" is not the same as "you cannot fall unconscious." I can choose to become dazed, that is not a problem (it is if you are a Saint, since they cannot be dazed.)

By doing so, I have now two different elements that prevent me from falling unconscious, one is unnatural vitality and the other is Bloodied Champion. The events that cause the end of each of those benefits can be different.

I honestly cannot see any reading of the text of unnatural vitality that says the benefits end when you make a saving throw versus daze. People are just grasping at straws and saying you have to fall unconscious because... they say so. Clearly, I am still affected by unnatural vitality after I fail the first saving throw, and no longer affected by Bloodied Champion.

But it doesn't matter. Why? I already gained the standard action from Unaturual Vitality, and therefore, already gained the extra actions from the other feats. It happened at a fixed point in time. Now I just need to remain conscious somehow to use those actions.
I dont mean to be rude, but you are hijacking this thread with a rules debate. Please do not continue to reply on that topic. There is a seperate place for that under revenants in the rules forum. This is a place for optimization advice.
I dont mean to be rude, but you are hijacking this thread with a rules debate. Please do not continue to reply on that topic. There is a seperate place for that under revenants in the rules forum. This is a place for optimization advice.

No offense, but this has happened enough times in the past that I knew this would be a rules argument thread as soon as I saw the author. The more you twist RAW around to your benefit, the more people criticize your build(s), because we need agreement on RAW for this forum to function. Some of the things you're combining are at least debatable and I'm afraid that putting a disclaimer in the OP isn't going to stop that.
Yet, under all of the DPR king candidates, no one argues these things. They just cite the customer service, note that it relies on "revenant action cheese" and move on.

Seriously, you dont need to agree on whether you get actions from being a revenant to come up with more ways to add power game to the character.  Coming up with more attack bonuses isn't contingent on whether a particular DM thinks you can get revenant cheese or not.  Deciding between zephyr boots and boots that allow me to avoid op attacks doesn't either.

The entire point of an optimization board is to optimize - push things to thier maximum limit.  Why even read this forum if you don't want to do that?   

If you don't want rules debates, you shouldn't post a conclusion about how your build clear cut resolves a rules debate in your favor when it does the exact opposite.
You may not agree with that conclusion, but that's not what I asked about. I asked for help getting a bigger to hit bonus and maybe choosing better hybrid / multiclass options. Why is it so hard just to help and not hinder? You did the same thing on the Here Comes the Sun Forum, and several other ones I can think of off the top of my head. That is trolling not optimization assistance.

And to be clear, I explained that choice of paragon path because it is clearly suboptimal, and I wanted to explain why I did such a silly thing.  Horizon walker is far superior, but my DM is forcing me to choose a different option, so I dont pass out.
He IS helping, by doing the whole of CO a favor. When you post a build with a glaring issue, clearing it up now will save 100+ future threads of "omg help me optimize this sick spinoff build" that cites yours as proof-of-function. You've been around here long enough to know that a "beast" build post will get torn apart at every level, regardless of whether the OP wants it or not. If your DM is allowing the interaction, great, but at least post a very clear disclaimer in the original post.
Helpful vs tearing down is a bug difference. I rested on this for a while and came up with an even better work around (just need some at will healing and I can save lots of feat and get the same result with even less debate). But where is that suggestion? I dont think this would work, but you can fix it by... Thats a supportive community. Just going around the same often argued ground wastes everyones time
To be fair to MwaO... it is not the same ground as has been argued before. You made a novel assertion (that combining revenant with Blooded Champion lets you sidestep all previous RAW dissents to revenant cheese). MwaO argued specifically about that assertion. I haven't gone through to see which one of you is correct, but regardless, I don't think MwaO was trying to tear you down.

Your first post actually says that Blooded Champion overcomes all RAW objections to revenant actions. That is an assertion that should be evaluated and challenged if it's incorrect. It'd be different if you had just said "I know some people object to extra revenant actions, but I'm assuming they work." If that had been the starting point, then objecting on that basis would've been rude.

Aaaanyway, yeah, this build has been done in many places. Here's a not-totally-optimized version that I did for kilpatds in order to settle a debate. There are definitely things that'll boost your damage there.

A few easy things that jumped out at me: be a Morninglord + Pelor's Sun Blessing, be either Tiefling or Deva (Potent Rebirth and maybe Soul of the World) for past race, and don't hybrid ranger because it's not helping you with much of anything, and probably hurts overall due to armor and power point issues.
Thanks ninja, that's exactly what i was looking for.

Im not sure if marking myself with battleminds demand counts as "bag of rats".  Its not an attack, so I don't think it does, but I was thinking I could demand myself with one of the minor actions, and use the next minor for a birlliant recovery, using the spellscarred feat to heal a little.  That renders me undazed (after I use all the extra actions from revenant cheese).  I think it ends up as a 9 attack per round loop.   
If your build is based off of something that isn't correct within the rules we really shouldn't help you until you fix that problem.  A lot of players use these forums as ways to prove that what they are doing is rules legal, so not raising the issue is not something we can do.  If you have to post "Look, I'm right about this, so shut up and help me build" that's not a good way to go about it.

If you however say "My DM is letting me get away with this false, questionable, cheesy or rules-lawyery reading of this, so what can I do with it" you might be in a better position.  Because then we can give you help without having to constantly point out that you are either misreading a power, misrepresenting a house-rule as a normal rule or flat out cheating.  Basically, win win.  So if you don't want the rules debate, don't make strong assertions about the rules.

Edit: To be clear I'm not weighing in one way or the other.  I'm just saying if you don't want a rules argument, taking a bold stance on a rule is a stupid way about starting this particular conversation.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
How attached are you to Sensate? If you'd consider Ironwrought as an alternative, the L10 feature of a +1 power bonus on weapon attack rolls for a turn could further help your accurancy.

(I'm not a strong opper, so forgive me if you already have another power bonus in effect and I've missed it.)
I was able to build a pretty darn successful version of this (using tuathan as a theme and master of moments as the ED) with basically no problems and no questionable rules.  thanks for the help everyone.