Abusing Evolve with Rapid Hybridization

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was reading comments on Rapid Hybridization in the database when I noticed someone had suggested the following:

"Turn one, Cloudfin Raptor.
Turn two, Young Wolf, evolving Raptor. Then tap your island for Rapid Hybridization. Wolf comes back with a counter, evolving the Raptor again, then the Frog Lizard evolves it a third time.

Turn two, you have a 3/4 flier that's ready to attack, with a 2/2 and a 3/3 ready for the next turn."

I don't think this works.  The token generation effect is part of RH's resolution, which means that you couldn't even put the Wolf's undying trigger on the stack until after the 3/3 was already on the battlefield—right?  I believe this means that by the time the Wolf returned as a 2/2 your Raptor would be a 2/3 flyer, and unable to further evolve this turn.

Am I missing something, or is this guy mistaken? 
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
I think you're right: the 3/3 enters play before Young Wolf returns with a counter.

Agg! forgot the stacking of triggers!

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

This does work. The evolve trigger caused by the 3/3 token would be put on the stack at the same time the undying trigger fom the wolf would. So you cn stack the undying trigger on top, returning the Wolf as a 2/2 before the evolve for the 3/3 can put a counter on. 2/2 is still bigger than 1/2 so evolve triggers for the returning Wolf, which is put on top of the evolve trigger for the 3/3. The evolve condition is true for both of those triggers when they resolve, so the Raptor gets to be a 3/4.
Holy cow, Chaikov: I did, too! Somehow in all of this I forgot that evolve is a triggered ability that uses the stack and I considered only the respective timing of the spell's resolution and the undying trigger.

Thanks for setting me straight, rezzahan.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.