Deathtouch query

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
An idea for a card made me wonder if this would be an acceptable template:

"Spells and abilities have deathtouch. (Any nonzero amount of damage dealt to a creature by a spell or ability is enough to destroy it.)"

Would this work? Could we make it work if it doesn't? It sounds like an issue similar to Purity's, but the rules for Deathtouch mention that any object with deathtouch (which includes abilities on the stack) functions regardless of zone.
Regardless of whether or not an ability has deathtouch, abilities never deal damage, so it wouldn't matter. If I give Prodigal Pyromancer's ability deathtouch, the damage is still dealt by the pyromancer, not the ability.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

You could try "All noncombat damage is treated as though it's source had deathtouch.".  However it would probably be easier to template it as "Whenever a creature is dealt noncombat damage, destroy that creature.".  The second template isn't quite the same as deathtouch but it's probably close enough and it's a lot more straightforward.
I would advocate dropping "noncombat". It brings it closer to deathtouch and is potentially less confusing.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

"Each creature's toughness is 1."

Joking aside, it should be "All damage is dealt as though its source had deathtouch. (Any amount of damage to a creature from a source with deathtouch is enough to destroy that creature.)"
Rules Advisor
Painter's Servant is a good card to look at if you need a list of objects that aren't players (or emblems).

Del Laugel

Editing manager, Magic TCG

So then
"All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents have deathtouch."

I like it.
Of course, that would also mean deathtouch via combat damage, which is different from the original idea.
So then
"All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents have deathtouch."

I like it.

That would turn Mwonvuli Beast Tracker into a weird Worldly tutor.

That would turn Mwonvuli Beast Tracker into a weird Worldly tutor.

I'm okay with this.
Sign In to post comments