Targeting the only targetable thing available

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This may be an MTGO problem, but I was playing Wort, Boggart Auntie on MTGO with one goblin card in the graveyard and at the beginning of my upkeep, Wort automatically targetted the only goblin card in the graveyard, however I sac'd another goblin to try to bring it back and the system wouldn't let me target that one. Am I forced to choose the only available target at the time the triggered ability fires? I remember being able to choose after it hit the stack even if there was only one target, but I'm not sure if the change is because of a rules change or an MTGO design flaw.
MTGO handled it correctly. Wort's ability gets put on the stack first thing in the upkeep step, and you must select a target at that time. Only after this are you allowed to play abilities. Since there was only one legal target, MTGO saved you the effort and picked the target automatically, but even if they had designed MTGO to force you to select the target yourself, you still would have had no choice but to target that goblin.
503. Upkeep Step

503.1. First, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of the upkeep step and any abilities that triggered during the turn's untap step go on the stack. (See rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities.")

503.2. Second, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

A triggered ability's targets are selected when the ability is placed on the stack. This is not unlike how targets are selected for spells and activated abilities when they are cast or activated.

Targets are rechecked as the spell or ability would resolve. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?
MTGO handled it correctly. Wort's ability gets put on the stack first thing in the upkeep step, and you must select a target at that time. Only after this are you allowed to play abilities. Since there was only one legal target, MTGO saved you the effort and picked the target automatically, but even if they had designed MTGO to force you to select the target yourself, you still would have had no choice but to target that goblin.
503. Upkeep Step

503.1. First, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of the upkeep step and any abilities that triggered during the turn's untap step go on the stack. (See rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities.")

503.2. Second, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

Well this sounds like a design flaw in MTGO because the rules don't say anything about having to select the only target the moment the triggered ability goes on the stack.
A triggered ability's targets are selected when the ability is placed on the stack. This is not unlike how targets are selected for spells and activated abilities when they are cast or activated.

Right, but when the ability triggers and gets put on the stack, I can still sacrifice a goblin before selecting a target for the ability right? In real paper Magic that is...

Targets are rechecked as the spell or ability would resolve. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?

No, this auto-selects the target before I have the chance.
Right, but when the ability triggers and gets put on the stack, I can still sacrifice a goblin before selecting a target for the ability right?

No, you don't get priority in the middle of casting a spell / activating an ability / adding a triggered ability to the stack.

603.3. Once an ability has triggered, its controller puts it on the stack as an object that’s not a card the next time a player would receive priority. [...]

603.3c If a triggered ability is modal, its controller announces the mode choice when he or she puts the ability on the stack. [...]

603.3d The remainder of the process for putting a triggered ability on the stack is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2c–d. [...]

601.2c The player announces his or her choice of an appropriate player, object, or zone for each target the spell requires. [...]

601.2d If the spell requires the player to divide or distribute an effect (such as damage or counters) among one or more targets, the player announces the division. Each of these targets must receive at least one of whatever is being divided.

As it should. I was trying to guess at what you were thinking about.

When you put the trigger on the stack, you have to choose a legal target for it. You don't choose a legal target later on.

So yes, MTGO handled it correctly. At the beginning of your upkeep, before any player gets priority, you have to put all 'at beginning of upkeep' triggers on the stack. Wort's ability targets, so you have to choose a legal target when you put the trigger on the stack. Since you only had one Goblin in your graveyard, that's the only legal choice you can make for the ability.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Right, but when the ability triggers and gets put on the stack, I can still sacrifice a goblin before selecting a target for the ability right? In real paper Magic that is...

The first thing that happens during your turn is wort's ability going on the stack at the beginning of your upkeep, you chosing a target for it if available (if there's only one possible target it is chosen, mtgo did that for you) THEN you get priority (for saccing a goblin for instance).

Paper magic and mtgo aren't supposed to be any different rules wise.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

If you want to have more Goblin options, you'll need to make those sacrifices before your upkeep begins, presumably at the end of the previous turn.

Or you could do something funny.
Well this sounds like a design flaw in MTGO because the rules don't say anything about having to select the only target the moment the triggered ability goes on the stack.

they don't? On the contrary, 114.1 says exactly that

nope, same deal in paper Magic too
you need priority to do something like sac a goblin and you don't have it between the time the trigger triggers and the time that trigger is put on the stack and its target is chosen.

Rules:
114.1. Some spells and abilities require their controller to choose one or more targets for them. The targets are object(s), player(s), and/or zone(s) the spell or ability will affect. These targets are declared as part of the process of putting the spell or ability on the stack. The targets can’t be changed except by another spell or ability that explicitly says it can do so.

603.2. Whenever a game event or game state matches a triggered ability’s trigger event, that ability automatically triggers. The ability doesn’t do anything at this point.

603.2b When a phase or step begins, all abilities that trigger “at the beginning of” that phase or step trigger.

603.3. Once an ability has triggered, its controller puts it on the stack as an object that’s not a card the next time a player would receive priority. See rule 116, “Timing and Priority.” The ability becomes the topmost object on the stack. It has the text of the ability that created it, and no other characteristics. It remains on the stack until it’s countered, it resolves, a rule causes it to be removed from the stack, or an effect moves it elsewhere.

603.3d The remainder of the process for putting a triggered ability on the stack is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2c–d. If a choice is required when the triggered ability goes on the stack but no legal choices can be made for it, or if a rule or a continuous effect otherwise makes the ability illegal, the ability is simply removed from the stack.

116.2a Triggered abilities can trigger at any time, including while a spell is being cast, an ability is being activated, or a spell or ability is resolving. (See rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities.” ) However, nothing actually happens at the time an ability triggers. Each time a player would receive priority, each ability that has triggered but hasn’t yet been put on the stack is put on the stack. See rule 116.5.

116.5. Each time a player would get priority, the game first performs all applicable state-based actions as a single event (see rule 704, “State-Based Actions” , then repeats this process until no state-based actions are performed. Then triggered abilities are put on the stack (see rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities” ). These steps repeat in order until no further state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the player who would have received priority does so.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.