[Contest] Shazzeh's Oh_Snap's RPJesus' Homogenization

288 posts / 0 new
Last post
Homogenization
This contest has been done two times and the judge backed out in both iterations. I've never hosted a contest in my life, so what better way to start than by doing something that has never worked before?

There'll be an audition round with open signups followed by seven more closed rounds. Each round will have a global criterion for each participant to follow. At the end of the round, cards are scored. The player with the highest cumulative score at the end wins.

Here's the catch: in addition to the one general criterion per round, every time you submit a card I'll choose some aspect of it and make it into a new personal criterion for you to follow for the rest of the contest (If you submit Counterspell, maybe I'll make you keep on making blue cards, or maybe you'll have to make cards with converted mana cost 2). These are cumulative; by the last round each player will have to work within the round's criterion as well as seven more that are specific to them. It'll be hilarious.

Contestants

Jessica_Morgan
Score: 65 (6)(10)(10)(14)(16)(9)(??)
1. At least one of the number six, the numeral 6, or the mana symbol must appear on your card. Italics don't count.
2. Your card must refer to the battlefield exactly once.
3. Your card must mention in its text box mana of a color that your card isn't or the name of a color that your card isn't.
4. Your card's name must be three or more words long.
5. Your card must mention at least two card types by name.
6. Your card must destroy one or more permanents.
7. Your card must be white and/or black.

Arazlam
Score: 79 (9)(9)(13)(14)(18)(16)(??)
1. Your card needs to have exactly two abilities (an ability being a keyword or anything separated by a line break).
2. One of your card's abilities must be a triggered ability.
3. Your card must have an X or an X mana symbol somewhere on it. Using "x" as part of another word doesn't count.
4. Your card must be a creature.
5. The total of your card's CMC and power must be 5.
6. Your card must have an ability that modifies the power and/or toughness of a creature (possibly itself).
7. The numeral 0 must appear on your card.

Nephrolith
Score: 64 (10)(10)(13)(11)(12)(8)(??)
1. Your card can't be a creature.
2. The word "counter" has to appear on your card. Italics don't count.
3. Your card's name has to be alliterative.
4. Your card must include an ordinal number in the text box ("first," "second," "third," "fourth,"...)
5. The word 'life' must appear somewhere on your card. Italics don't count.
6. Your card must mention spells (as in cards on the stack) in its text box.
7. Your card must include or mention mana of two colors or the names of two colors that are allies.

Imidazoline
Score: 73 (9)(7)(13)(13)(15)(16)(??)
1. Exactly three mana symbols must appear on your card. and count but italics don't.
2. The word "damage" has to appear on your card. Italics don't count.
3. Your card must be able to target a creature (Shock qualifies but so do Shock Troops).
4. Your card's text box must have a continuous string of six words or more in common with your previous card.
5. You must include an additional or alternate cost or some other ability that affects the total cost of your card.
6. The word "controller" has to appear on your card. Italics don't count.
7. Your card must be at least mildly useful in decks of colors other than your card's color(s).

Glasir
Score: 70 (9)(10)(12)(13)(13)(13)(??)
1. The word "beast" must appear on your card. Italics don't count.
2. Your card has to tell/ask/allow players to sacrifice something.
3. Your card has to use hybrid mana symbols.
4. Your card must be green and/or red.
5. Your card must have, grant, or mention a non-evergreen keyword.
6. One specific type of mana symbol (or or ) has to appear in your card's mana cost and text box at least three times.
7. Your card must be able to put other things into a zone and make things leave that same zone.

febbstalicious42 (dropped)
Score: 24 (5)(9)(10)()(??)(??)(??)
1. Your card must mention the exile zone or tell players to exile something.
2. Your card has to mention the concept of color or the name of a specific color.
3. Your card can't share a card type or color with your card from the previous round.
4. Your card's name must include a preposition.
5. Your card must mention a card type that your card isn't.
6. ??
7. ??

Echo_Robin
Score: 75 (7)(8)(14)(15)(17)(14)(??)
1. The phrase "you control" has to appear on your card. Italics don't count.
2. Your card needs to have exactly one target OR have an ability with exactly one target.
3. Every symbol in your card's mana cost has to appear elsewhere on the card.
4. Your card's converted mana cost must be within one of that of your previous card.
5. Your card must mention at least one step or phase by name.
6. One of the words "attach" or "equip" must appear on your card. Italics don't count. You can use any form you like ("attached" would be fine).
7. Your card must be able to put itself into the graveyard without anything but a source of mana (if needed).

ChaosLight
Score: 68 (7)(8)(13)(13)(14)(13)(??)
1. Your card needs to have a symbol on it. Italics don't count.
2. Your card must include a replacement effect of the form "If ____ would _____, instead _____".
3. Your card must have a supertype.
4. Your card's name must contain exactly one noun or proper noun.
5. Your card must mention the mana pool.
6. Your card must have an ability that does something to all things of a certain type (creatures, players, spells, ...).
7. Your card must mention three different colors by name or be able to generate or use mana of three different colors.

SimonGlume
Score: 55 (7)(3)(4)(13)(18)(13)(??)
1. Your card must include three numbers that are consecutive integers. Mana symbols count. Italics don't. Order's not important.
2. Your card must have exactly one subtype.
3. Your card must mention at least two zones by name (hand, library, exile, battlefield, graveyard, stack).
4. Your card must mention or have at least one keyword ability.
5. Your card must have a lower converted mana cost than your previous card, OR it must have converted mana cost 8.
6. Your card must create tokens.
7. Your card must cause a player to search a library.

Kavu_Overlord
Score: 77 (6)(7)(14)(13)(18)(19)(??)
1. Your card name must have exactly one word and no hyphens.
2. Your card must cause triggers on something entering the battlefield (possibly your card itself).
3. Your card needs to have exactly one ability (an ability being a keyword or anything separated by a line break).
4. Your card's name must be a compound word.
5. Your card must share a color or a card type with your previous card.
6. Your card must be multicolor.
7. Your card must include or mention mana of two colors or the names of two colors that are enemies.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Audition Round

Global criterion: Make a card with ten or fewer words in the text box. (To clarify, I'm only counting rules text. And that's ten words total between all text boxes. Symbols aren't words.)

The ten best cards will get in. Your score doesn't matter, but you are going to be given a criterion based on your submission. Submissions close on Friday at 10 PM EST, or whenever I have way too many to grade.

Does reminder text count?
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Nope!

Damn I have very few cards with less than 11. I'll have to make a new one D:
I knew from the beginning that my meticulous analysis of the number of words used on each of ChaosLight's cards would pay off eventually!

I knew from the beginning that my meticulous analysis of the number of words used on each of ChaosLight's cards would pay off eventually!

Sometimes amazing things appear in my head, so don't worry.

Oh...what if it's a card with multiple text boxes? Flip or transform I mean.
Ten words total.

im in automatically right?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Yes.

(No.)

Spelleater Demon
Creature - Demon [Rare]
Flying, Shroud
You can't cast spells.
The greatest risk one takes when calling demons is that they actually appear.
6/6
Æther Strings |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
You may activate enchanted creature's activated abilities.
"What's wrong Tim? Why are you pointing me with th--"
— Last words of Zeon, Director of the Institute of Arcane Study
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Return to Infancy
Enchantment
Each permanent only has its first ability. (For instance Black Knight, which has First Strike and Protection from White loses Protection from White).

"When you die, you'll only have what you were born with."
- Blurn

Insparred by the very critteria that the post was posted in the post. Plus, nuts on that there. Sugar's sweet.
I goddam loved this contest when Snap was running it.

Narcissistic Rage |
Sorcery
Each creature fights itself.
There are indeed problems with having no one else to blame.

Before anyone gets up on me for not this being black, it totally is.

Edited because fight is apparently weird.

Narcissistic Rage |
Sorcery

Fool, this is so black that it's already printed in Kamigawa as a Wrath-type effect.
Pretty sure it isn't.

I mean, Wave of Reckoning is white and in Masques, but that's all I could find. The only black cards were the targeted ones.
Necrotengency
Enchantment
You may play permanent cards from your opponents' graveyard.
"Everything serves me at one point of their life - the end." Liliana

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Narcissistic Rage |
Sorcery

Something odd about a creature fighting itself - it actually does damage equal to twice it's power, so without reminder text, this would probably be misplayed.
Experience
Sorcery M
The player with the highest life total wins the game.
The oldest wizards are inevitably always the most powerful; all of the weak ones die young.
Ours is a vengeful god.
This is going pretty well. Seven entries so far! I'm not holding my breath but if there are twenty-five submissions before Friday night I'm going to close this early.

Also, I clarified the criterion some more: mana symbols and such don't count toward your 10 words. I'm learning to be more specific about this stuff.

I am intrigued.

I'm not feeling up to making actual decisions at the moment so instead I'll just list a bunch of cards and decide later which will be less likely to force me into difficult-to-use design space.
[sblock ideas old and new]
Scorn
Creature -- Incarnation

Other creatures lose all abilities and are 1/1.

4/3

Serial Killer
Creature -- Human Spellshaper

, , Discard a card: Destroy target creature.

2/1

Syriath Skyhold
Artifact

Human creatures you control have flying.

"When the world came alive turned against its people most tried to sustain their ways of life -- the mer lulled their seas, and the dwarves built unbreakable tunnels far below the surface.  Fools.  We have claimed the sky as our own." -- Hamal, skyhold captain

Coming Home
Sorcery

Put target exiled creature card onto the battlefield.

in which rule 110.2a saves me three words

MIND CRUSH
Sorcery

Exile the top half of target library.

FIXME: name.

Mindflayer

Creature -- Horror

Mindflayer deals damage to players in the form of discarding. (Instead of losing life, the damaged player discards that many cards.)

2/2

Gogo reminder text? It reads oddly, I admit.
[/sblock] 

I choose... this one!

Mindflayer 
Creature -- Horror

Mindflayer deals damage to players in the form of discarding. (Instead of losing life, the damaged player discards that many cards.)

2/2

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Astral Purist --
Creature - Spirit Cleric
Treat face-up cards in exile as copies of Astral Purist.
"The otherworlds speak to all. I am all."
2/1
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

I miss squinty. He was a cool guy.
Ours is a vengeful god.

i hate him cuz he likes dizzyland
Realmweaver |
Creature - Elf Druid
~ has all activated abilities of all lands you control.
She's seen every place there has ever been or ever will be.
1/1
I am intrigued.

I'm not feeling up to making actual decisions at the moment so instead I'll just list a bunch of cards and decide later which will be less likely to force me into difficult-to-use design space.

I think you'll be surprised at how weird and unpredictable the criteria will be. I'm not going to do something obvious like force you into a color right off the bat. :P

Realmweaver |
Creature - Elf Druid
~ has all activated abilities of all lands you control.
She's seen every place there has ever been or ever will be.
1/1

ha creature version of that metaglobe thing from detektor XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Something odd about a creature fighting itself - it actually does damage equal to twice it's power, so without reminder text, this would probably be misplayed.

Breaking my own rule about comments on cards before rounds end, but is that right? Thought fight was damage equal to its power to each other, so one source, one instance of damage. Do you have a reference you could point me too?

I know, right?
FOR SQUINTY.

Distant Voices -
Instant
Destroy target creature if a creature died this turn.
Recover -
The last voice is the victim's reply.

Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.

Breaking my own rule about comments on cards before rounds end, but is that right? Thought fight was damage equal to its power to each other, so one source, one instance of damage. Do you have a reference you could point me too?

From the Comp Rules:
||701.10c If a creature fights itself, it deals damage equal to its power to itself twice.||

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Karmic Shaper 1R
Creature - Human Wizard
T: Reselect the target of target single-target spell at random.
"Sometimes I wonder why we do the things we do. Deep down I know though, we are all slaves to fate. The only thing truly guiding us are the hands of the gods."
0/2
Wordly Mentor
Creature - Human Wizard
Permanents gain ": Each player draws a card."
2/2

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Sturm

Sorcery
Storm
//
Drang

Sorcery
Proliferate.

Karmic Shaper 1R Creature - Human Wizard T: Reselect the target of target single-target spell at random. "Sometimes I wonder why we do the things we do. Deep down I know though, we are all slaves to fate. The only thing truly guiding us are the hands of the gods." 0/2

"Reselect the target of target spell with a single target at random." Which is twelve words.

You could just make it work on multi-target spells, though, and that would bring it down to ten. I'm pretty sure there's no rules reason why you can't do that.

Karmic Shaper 1R Creature - Human Wizard T: Reselect the target of target single-target spell at random. "Sometimes I wonder why we do the things we do. Deep down I know though, we are all slaves to fate. The only thing truly guiding us are the hands of the gods." 0/2

"Reselect the target of target spell with a single target at random." Which is twelve words.

You could just make it work on multi-target spells, though, and that would bring it down to ten. I'm pretty sure there's no rules reason why you can't do that.

Some spells will target things after targetting another thing, like target thing target player controls, and it gets very very messy. There is nothing wrong with my wording, and you said nothing about changing the comp rules to get better wording. I feel my card is a prefectly reasonable change...
Sturm

Sorcery
Storm
//
Drang

Sorcery
Proliferate.

If the intent is that the Storm half can turn into the Proliferate half, it's a cool idea, except it wouldn't work because split cards on the stack only have the characteristics of one half. Copying the one side won't let you use the other. If I'm misreading you and that's not the intention, then just ignore me and I'll go ahead and grade it.

Some spells will target things after targetting another thing, like target thing target player controls, and it gets very very messy. There is nothing wrong with my wording, and you said nothing about changing the comp rules to get better wording. I feel my card is a prefectly reasonable change...

Alright, fair enough.

Sturm

Sorcery
Storm
//
Drang

Sorcery
Proliferate.

If the intent is that the Storm half can turn into the Proliferate half, it's a cool idea, except it wouldn't work because split cards on the stack only have the characteristics of one half. Copying the one side won't let you use the other. If I'm misreading you and that's not the intention, then just ignore me and I'll go ahead and grade it.

That is not the intention!

Sturm

Sorcery
Storm
//
Drang

Sorcery
Proliferate.

Alright, fair enough.

I mean, I can change it if you're going to take off points for it...
Nah, it was kind of a dumb thing to get worked up about. As long as your wording makes sense I'm not going to make a huge fuss before the contest even starts.

From the Comp Rules:
||701.10c If a creature fights itself, it deals damage equal to its power to itself twice.||

Well I'll be.
That actually makes my card stronger than I intended. Amending.
Demonought 
Artifact Creature - Dreadnought Demon
If ~ would deal combat damage, you lose the game.
12/12