Runepriest Runes vs. Artificer Sigils

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So the flavor text for both of these classes talks about how they engrave symbols on weapons and armor to unleash power. I understand that one is divine and one is arcane, but flavor wise, is there any other difference between RPing a sigil user and a rune user? Is there an RP difference between Runes and Sigils?
Because RunePriests like to use STR for their attacks, I like to imagine that the Runes they use must be forcefully carved into the universe against it's will - reality doesnt want these runes written, and it pushes back.  Runes are not about careful learning, they're about brute force.

Sigils on the other hand, are used by an INT primary class.  So they must require precise study and knowledge in order to understand and scribe them.

Runes also strike me as being very square, with hard angles and straight lines, while Sigils strike me as being all curly and squiggly with lots of precise curves and bends in them.

Oh - the only true difference between them is what you care to make of them, the game itself doesnt prevent you from flavouring them how ever you like.
Runepriest attack powers usually revolve around striking the rune onto something (or someone), or at least striking the power of the rune onto the target. They lean toward a warrior-smith archetype, with the runes being created through force of will. That doesn't mean that there's no grace or finesse to the runes themselves. Utility powers may or may not involve similar striking force; some of them just cause the rune to appear, but it still leans toward "force of will" creation.

The artificer's few true sigil powers descriptively lean toward the artificer tracing/drawing/evoking the rune on the weapon to be empowered, giving it more of an item-enchantment flavor.
So the Runepriest already has the rune pre-made before battle and strikes into the ground/enemy, etc. While Artificers trace or draw sigils mid-battle into the air or onto weapons?
So the Runepriest already has the rune pre-made before battle and strikes into the ground/enemy, etc. While Artificers trace or draw sigils mid-battle into the air or onto weapons?

There is no "official stance" on this. Fluff is mutable. Describe it in a way that makes it resonate with you.

For example, my Artificers tend to draw things, or mix things, or prepare fetishes. My Runepriests tend to vissualize or speak the words of power before they strike. Other Runepriests will scribe the symbols on their weapons and armor, and invoke them at the appropriate times.

All based on character concept. The mechanics are the mechanics, and the fluff is the fluff. The mechanics need to stay relatively unchanged in order to preserve the integrity of the game, the fluff can be changed freely without breaking anything.