Dual wield and Properities.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heya Guys, 

A have a geberic and a specific question. first the Generic:

1 - when a player is Dual wielding(weapon or implement, like 2 staffs or 2 swords), does the player benefits from both item properities?

Example: A rogue is using in his mainhand a Inescapable sword(pg.70 AdvV.I.) and a jagged Sword in the offhand(pg.71 Adv.V.I.). Does he get the properity of the jagged weapon(crits on 19 or 20) along with the main hand properity?

Now to the specific:

1 - The mage in my group has to staffs, one in each hand(is that evenpossible since staffs are 2 handed?, anyways..). One is a Ruin Staff and the offhand one is a defencive staff. The offhand staff has a properity that gives him a +1 AC. Question is : he gest the +1ac only for having the staff on the offhand(he uses the mainhand one for all his powers)?

If so, pls tell me where this is grounded?

Thanks!

Heya Guys, 

A have a geberic and a specific question. first the Generic:

1 - when a player is Dual wielding(weapon or implement, like 2 staffs or 2 swords), does the player benefits from both item properities?

Example: A rogue is using in his mainhand a Inescapable sword(pg.70 AdvV.I.) and a jagged Sword in the offhand(pg.71 Adv.V.I.). Does he get the properity of the jagged weapon(crits on 19 or 20) along with the main hand properity?

Now to the specific:

1 - The mage in my group has to staffs, one in each hand(is that evenpossible since staffs are 2 handed?, anyways..). One is a Ruin Staff and the offhand one is a defencive staff. The offhand staff has a properity that gives him a +1 AC. Question is : he gest the +1ac only for having the staff on the offhand(he uses the mainhand one for all his powers)?

If so, pls tell me where this is grounded?

Thanks!

OK, as a GENERAL rule properties work whenever the COULD work. So, yes, if you dual wield you will potentially gain the benefit of the properties of both items. HOWEVER there are often roadblocks here. Many properties only make sense at different times, so they don't really 'overlap', there is also a rule on IIRC around page 54 of the Adventurer's Vault which states that properties which apply to attacks can only apply from an item actually used to make the attack unless otherwise stated. This however is a 'rule' which has a long and checkered history of debate around it and is generally considered to be largely erroneous due to the sheer number of situations where it is clearly ignored with no real reason given. In any case MANY items nowadays have wording like "when making an attack with this item" etc. In any case the general rule is if the thing is in your hand then its properties are active as it is "in use", just like items that sit in slots.

As to your side question about staves. Implements are one-handed in all cases. This is rather confusing but the upshot is YES, you can dual wield staff implements or generally use them one-handed, AS IMPLEMENTS, but if you decide to use one as a quarterstaff then it will need to be used in both hands. You can of course still use it one-handed as an improvised weapon, but that may not work well for you (and it is entirely unclear if an item's enhancement bonus would apply in that case).

The Staff of Ruin and the Defensive Staff will work fine together. You will have to attack with the Staff of Ruin (IE use its enhancement bonus) to get the damage bonus with it. OTOH the Defensive Staff is one of those few weapon/implement items who's function is the same regardless of what enhancement bonus it has (IE you might as well just keep using the +1 version if you are just holding it for the defensive function, the higher level ones don't do anything better for you).
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Thanks for the answer but if ts states cleary on the adventures vault that u cannot use the properities of an offhand, and no erratas been published, why is wrong?

Thanks 
I think it's likely because it's not putting a bonus or status effect to an enemy.
I think it's likely because it's not putting a bonus or status effect to an enemy.

Indeed.  If an item does something TO AN ATTACK you have to use that item for that attack to get the bonus.  If an item merely provides a static benefit (such as Defensive Staff) you merely need to be holding it in a way that you COULD attack with it, in order to get the benefit.

The problem arises from the fact that 'wield' has two different definitions in the game rules.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.