Charming presence is useless?

Charming presence gives you advantage on all social checks (mostly Cha) with a single character. While you sustain it, you lose your skill die, so say goodbye to the most of your other tricks.

Guilded tongue gives you advantage on ANY Cha checks, by taking away your skill die for a single turn. 

Am I missing something? The only possible scenario when Charming presence is somewhat more usefull is if you have to make several Cha checks in one turn, but I have trouble imagining such a scene.
Charming presence gives you advantage on all social checks (mostly Cha) with a single character. While you sustain it, you lose your skill die, so say goodbye to the most of your other tricks.

Guilded tongue gives you advantage on ANY Cha checks, by taking away your skill die for a single turn.

Am I missing something? The only possible scenario when Charming presence is somewhat more usefull is if you have to make several Cha checks in one turn, but I have trouble imagining such a scene.

Charming Presence requires that you succeed on a Charisma check. Gilded Tongue allows you to reroll a Charisma check. One takes place before you use the dice to adjudicate the situation, and the other takes place after.

Gilded Tongue is only usable if you made your initial Charisma check without adding your skill dice. Charming Presence requires that you spend your skill dice on your initial Charisma check. One works as an insurance policy should you fail, and the other puts all your chips on a single roll.

Danny

No, the problem is that Guilded tongue does everything that CP can do and does it better. With CP you have to bet with your initial roll to gain advantage on any future check with one single opponent. GT basically gives you chance to re-roll any Cha check, as long as you don't add your skill die to its results. So, you have the same benefit as with CP, only with all checks instead of checks with single opponent, and you still have your skill die ready for other tricks.

Edit: I think this should be moved to Playtest Packet Discussion 
With Charming Presence you have charmed the other party, and you are free to fail subsequent checks without fear of retaliatiatory physical action.

With Gilded Tongue, the benefit comes into play only after you have already failed a check, which may or may not result in retaliatory physical action or an end to further social progress.

Danny

With Gilded Tongue, the benefit comes into play only after you have already failed a check

Actually, no. The definition states that you use it as soon as you see the roll results, so it's a part of the same check, not additional one. It's a free re-roll of any Cha check you don't spend you skill die on.
The benefit of charmed person not being able to harm the other party isn't very solid at best. Both of these tricks are definitely suited for out-of-combat use, cause otherwise they're close in power to 1-st level magic spell, which seems unlikely. 3rd edition provides modifier of about -30 for Diplomacy checks to change enemy attitude from Hostile to Indifferent in combat, so I'd rule conditional modifier of ~15 for this situation in Next.
With Gilded Tongue, the benefit comes into play only after you have already failed a check

Actually, no. The definition states that you use it as soon as you see the roll results, so it's a part of the same check, not additional one. It's a free re-roll of any Cha check you don't spend you skill die on.

My ultimate point still stands. Charming Presence maintains the charmed condition indefinitely, whereas Gilded Tongue risks multiple opportunities to fail.

Charming Presence limits application to influence through charm or diplomacy, but offers advantage on any conceivable attribute check. Gilded Tongue limits application to Charisma checks, but offers 'advantage' on any conceivable use of the attribute.

They're different. -- Subtlely so, but different nonetheless.

I'm inclined to say that you're undervaluing the open-endedness of skill-use, attribute application, and the dynamism of social interaction in 5E. Having advantage across the board via the charmed condition is mighty spiffy (in my own opinion), but I guess the old 'it's usefulness is DM dependent' argument could be inserted here.

If you feel that Gilded Tongue is better, then opt for it in lieu of Charming Presence.

Danny

The real difference is charming presence places the charmed condition on the target, that is far more useful, in my opinion, then advantage on your cha checks. And it makes enough of a difference between the two that I can see why they are both there.
I'm inclined to say that you're undervaluing the open-endedness of skill-use, attribute application, and the dynamism of social interaction in 5E. 

The real difference is charming presence places the charmed condition on the target, that is far more useful, in my opinion, then advantage on your cha checks.

Well, you may be right here, but can you show me any examples of 'social interactions' which are based not on Cha? As rules say now, charmed provides advantage on 'social interactions' (and personal immunity), that's all.

Personally, I really like how Charming presence is worded, that's my player, who opted to use 'more broad' Guilded tongue. The problem is, IMHO, that in playtest rules as they are now these two tricks are very similar and require DM to intervene and interpret. For example, I houseruled that Charming presence might have limited effect in battle, effectively protecting the PC from attacks of one opponent for a round. In game, his rougue is beautiful Cha17 girl with measly 10 HP (2nd level), and their opponents were orc ambush party, so CP effect was like 'we'll leave this beauty for later, no need to harm her right no..ARKH' *sneak attack*