The Vault of Wishes [Detektor's Strangest Contest]

99 posts / 0 new
Last post

The Vault of Wishes - Round 1

Original Rules

1. This contest is being run by Detektor.

2. This contest is being judged by Detektor.

3. Any person can join this contest by creating a character from Rabiah.

4. Characters have no effect upon gameplay.

5. Players cannot join the contest after it has already begun.

6. Players cannot be eliminated from the contest.

7. There are no teams in this contest.

8. At the beginning of each round, the person running the contest describes what is happening to the players' characters.

9. Descriptions have no effect upon gameplay.

10. At the beginning of each round, the person running the contest also posts a criteria of any type.

11. After a criteria is posted, each player must submit one card that fits the criteria.

12. Any type of card can be submitted as long as it is newly designed.

13. Each player making a submission must also describe how their character reacts to the situation.

14. Reactions have no effect upon gamplay.

15. Rounds end when every player has made a submission.

16. After every round ends, the person judging the contest judges each card.

17. Cards are judged out of 10.

18. Cards are judged according to how well they fit the criteria.

19. After each card has been judged, each player receives points equal to their submission's score.

20. New rounds begin when judging is finished.

21. There are 10 rounds in this contest.

22. After the last round of the contest ends, the player with the most points wins.

23. After the last round of the contest ends, the player who played their character best also wins.

24. The player judging the contest decides who played their character best.

25. Tiebreakers are done at the discretion of the person judging this contest.

26. There can be only one or two winners.

Unchangeable Rules

1. Each player begins the contest with three wishes.

2. Each wish can be spent at any time to make one change to one of the rules in the "Rules" section.

3. No wishing for anything that would lead you to have more wishes.

Wishes

1. RainbowCrow: There are no teams in this contest. -> There are no teams in this contest, except turnip_song and RainbowCrow.

2. Zokorad: Players cannot be eliminated from the contest. -> Players are eliminated from this contest whenever they score higher than Zokorad in a round.

Current Rules

1. This contest is being run by Detektor.

2. This contest is being judged by Detektor.

3. Any person can join this contest by creating a character from Rabiah.

4. Characters have no effect upon gameplay.

5. Players cannot join the contest after it has already begun.

6. Players are eliminated from this contest whenever they score higher than Zokorad in a round.

7. There are no teams in this contest, except turnip_song and RainbowCrow.

8. At the beginning of each round, the person running the contest describes what is happening to the players' characters.

9. Descriptions have no effect upon gameplay.

10. At the beginning of each round, the person running the contest also posts a criteria of any type.

11. After a criteria is posted, each player must submit one card that fits the criteria.

12. Any type of card can be submitted as long as it is newly designed.

13. Each player making a submission must also describe how their character reacts to the situation.

14. Reactions have no effect upon gamplay.

15. Rounds end when every player has made a submission.

16. After every round ends, the person judging the contest judges each card.

17. Cards are judged out of 10.

18. Cards are judged according to how well they fit the criteria.

19. After each card has been judged, each player receives points equal to their submission's score.

20. New rounds begin when judging is finished.

21. There are 10 rounds in this contest.

22. After the last round of the contest ends, the player with the most points wins.

23. After the last round of the contest ends, the player who played their character best also wins.

24. The player judging the contest decides who played their character best.

25. Tiebreakers are done at the discretion of the person judging this contest.

26. There can be only one or two winners.

Current Players and Scores

Round 1
It's a long and perilous journey through the desert from Baghdad to Alexandria, and only a few caravans successfully make the voyage each year. As you spy the sandstorm rising towards you from the west, you begin to wonder whether or not yours will be one of them. You can't remember which of your companions first noticed the rocky ridge to the north or the crevice in its side; the travellers alongside you are about as diverse as it is possible for a caravan to be. You rush up the slope and into the cave, emerging one by one into the cavern beyond like a strange parade. There are dangerous-looking spirits, ladies with feathered wings, fish-men and talking lizards, commoners and kings, and even something that looks rather like a giant cactus. Clearly, it is only the powerful and the mad who would dare attempt such a journey.

Moments after the last of you squeezes through into shelter, the sandstorm rushes by, shrieking like a leper in pain. What luck to have escaped the elements just in time! Relieved, you express thanks to Allah for sparing your lives. But perhaps there is something even greater in store for you. One of your companions soon notices a gleam from one of the recesses of the cave, and your group rushes towards it, eager to discover the treasure that you have been guided towards. But as you burst into the second chamber of the cave, you discover not gold coins or precious gems, but... containers. The room is full of jade lamps, earthenware jars, stoppered glass bottles and giant chests. A chill passes through the group. Could this be the fabled Prison of Solomon, home to the greatest and most capricious djinni and efreets captured by the ancient king? Your dreams of wealth are suddenly replaced with a desire far darker and more tantalizing. If you play your cards right, you might just emerge from this cave as the most powerful being on Rabiah. You inch towards the nearest container, and reach out for it...

Card-Making Criteria: Create a card representing the container you have just chosen. If you use a wish this round, create a card with the Djinn or Efreet subtype instead.

Description Criteria: Describe how your character reacts to this situation. Your description cannot conflict with another description.

Your wishes are now active.
Reserved.

*braces for impact*
Oz the Sand Brute. I came by this name after I had a brawl in a popular inn. I Have always had a temper and often led my decisions with my fist rather than reason. Hell this is what landed me in this caravan in the first place. I had a run in with the local guard after getting on their captain's bad side. Apparently punching the captain of the guard in the face is agaisnt the law in that town. Serves him right for acting so high and mighty though. Though with the guard after me I had to leave with only the ragged clothes on my back, my desert cowl, and water. Heck If I didn't make a source of income on this caravan it may well serve my doom.

After being caught in a sandstorm my caravan took shelter in a cave and stumbled up a mysterious room. This rooms.. it looks like the tale of Solomons Prison. A place where powerful efreets are imprisoned. Peh, like such a place exist. Hell Im already surrounded by djinn and they don't seem that tough. How could something so powerful be imprisoned by a mere jar. Heh I'll prove that such at thing couldn't exist.

*Oz reaches for a earthern jar made of clay barren of any design*. Heh who knows, there might be some coin in one of these jars.

Void Jar |
Artifact - djinn
When Earthern Jar comes into play search your library for up to 5 non-creature artifacts, select one at random and exile it.
Sacrifice Earthern Jar : Put the artifact exiled by Earthern Jar into play under your control.
Who would ever have suspected such a treasure hidden in such a plain jar.

Caution was advisable, and Jasmine reminded herself of that advice, carefully retracting her hand before it could touch the first container to catch her eye. These jars could contain Djinn or Efreet - or they could contain powerful curses, malevolent demons, or worse. Jasmine examined the containers carefully instead, weighing their values in her mind, before settling on a lamp elegantly sculpted from jade.

This stone repels and contains that which is evil, the sorceress thought to herself, examining it carefully. She knew the being contained within was powerful - but, hopefully, the lamp could be used to threaten it, or at least to contain it again should she prove unequal to being its master. Delicately, she retreats into the shadows with her prize, separating herself from the group, and gives its carvings a delicate rub...

The Binding Lamp
Legendary Artifact [Rare]
When The Binding Lamp enters the battlefield, search your library for a demon, devil, djinn, or efreet card and exile it with five time counters on it. It gains suspend. Shuffle your library afterwards.
, pay 4 life: Exile target demon, devil, djinn, or efreet creature, then put five time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend. Any player may play this ability.

no

one

is

wishing

for 

anything!?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
You never said I could wish to remove anyone elses wishes.

I wish that everyone else had no wishes.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

no

one

is

wishing

for 

anything!?

Don't you know that the first rule of diabolism is caution?

Wishes have to make one change to one of the changeable rules. That's not a change to a rule, it's a completely new (and unrelated) rule. Therefore, it's not an admissible wish.

Wishes have to make one change to one of the changeable rules. That's not a change to a rule, it's a completely new (and unrelated) rule. Therefore, it's not an admissible wish.

Would you be so kind as to repost the rules here? maybe also our cards, although I'm okay with looking that up.

Lol

Would you be so kind as to repost the rules here? maybe also our cards, although I'm okay with looking that up.

Chaos, darling, lesbian love of my life, check the OP.

Chaos, darling, lesbian love of my life, check the OP.

O_O I swear when I clicked this thread it had the first post being the story post.
Fine, then I use a wish to say the 2 highest scoring players after each round not named Zokorad are eliminated from the game.  In case of a tie, Zokorad chooses some of them.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

A strong wind blows rock into the next room. A large stone object stops it's momentum. "What is this?" Thought the rock. "Thought in my head? Aye, a head I don't have, but thoughts still flow out like a lake of fire." And from then on, forever bounded were the rock and his magical canister

Stone of Stirring
Tribal Artifact - Djinn
T: Choose a permanent card you own from outside the game, reveal it, then put it face down onto the battlefield.
6: Stone of Stirring becomes a 3/3 creature with flying in addition to it's other types.
"Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks Rcks Rocks Rocks" - Song of the orcs

Hmm...it appears this vase can grant wishes. I must have wished for life? But I have no legs...a sad day to be a rock in a cave it is. I wish I had a friend

Wish:
There are no teams in this game, Except Turnip_Song and RainbowCrow
Genie Lamp 
Tribal Artifact - Djinn
At the beggining of your upkeep, you lose 1 life and put a 1/1 Green Djinn Creature Token with Hexproof into play.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

A strong wind blows rock into the next room. A large stone object stops it's momentum. "What is this?" Thought the rock. "Thought in my head? Aye, a head I don't have, but thoughts still flow out like a lake of fire." And from then on, forever bounded were the rock and his magical canister

Stone of Stirring
Tribal Artifact - Djinn
T: Choose a permanent card you own from outside the game, reveal it, then put it face down onto the battlefield.
6: Stone of Stirring becomes a 3/3 creature with flying in addition to it's other types.
"Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks Rcks Rocks Rocks" - Song of the orcs

Hmm...it appears this vase can grant wishes. I must have wished for life? But I have no legs...a sad day to be a rock in a cave it is. I wish I had a friend

Wish:

But your Rainbow Crow.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Fine, then I use a wish to say the 2 highest scoring players after each round not named Zokorad are eliminated from the game.  In case of a tie, Zokorad chooses some of them.

Which rule are you changing, and what one change are you making to it?
Fine, then I use a wish to say the 2 highest scoring players after each round not named Zokorad are eliminated from the game.

Which rule are you changing, and what one change are you making to it?

RUle 6

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Listen to me.

I am Ma'Ruf of the hundred and sixty-ninth reflection, and I have walked far from the land I call home. The journey to Alexandria was a trifle; it is naught compared to the trail between the Alexandrias. I am here in secret, but understand the value of a tale. Listen closely, and I will tell you mine:

In the frozen sands of the thirteenth refraction, there sits a frail and wizened man. Approaching him in his hall of ice and stone, I asked him how I could obtain true power. I have travelled wide in my advancing years, and had hoped I could have found true paradise. Instead all I found were mistakes - and by looking for them, so could I learn from them. I know that a just ruler is what all Rabiah needs, and I know in my heart that ruler must be me. I said this honestly to that man, for he is the greatest being that dwells within the flesh, and he could never fear being surpassed by one such as I. And his words both shocked and shook me, and in time they would lead me here.

I am alone among Ma'Rufs. The thousand men that share my name and face are cursed to stay in the refraction of their births, and most have also stayed within the dust. Even before my travels, my profession would make me a king among them; a noble cobbler among those scabs and thieves! They would shiv me and rob me for my coins, and scorn themselves for having so lily-livered a clone.

Yet here there did live a mighty Ma'Ruf; here Ma'Ruf was King. Deposed and killed like every tyrant is, legend said his remains were taken to the Prison of Solomon, by the Seers of the Keys and Crypts, by the only living ones who know the way. Here lie dead Kings beneath the greatest King, for none are as worthy as Solomon. Here in the dust and sands are ghosts, who stretch up to eternity.

To eat the heart of another is a profane thing, and to say a man will gain wisdom through it is barbarous. But to eat the heart of oneself...the ancient man said this would give me power and knowledge, and I have no reason to disbelieve him. To become the greatest Ma'Ruf I must consume the greatest Ma'Ruf. We will be joined together in my body, and our souls will conjoin into one.

Is that his heart, encased in there? Have I found that which I seek? I reach out towards the sculpted jar.

Canopic Jar

Artifact-Grave-Good
, Sacrifice Canopic Jar: Return interred card to the battlefield.
Inter  (: Attach Canopic Jar to a creature card in your graveyard. Inter only as a sorcery.)

That's more like three changes.

1. Players cannot be eliminated from the contest.

2. After each round, the two highest scoring players are eliminated from the contest.

3. After each round, the two highest scoring players not named Zokorad are eliminated from the contest.

4. After each round, the two highest scoring players not named Zokorad are eliminated from the contest. In case of a tie, Zokorad chooses.

RainbowCrow's wish is a good example of a single change.

Also, you need to describe your character's actions.
So many fun possibilities...

• There are no eight hundred teams in this game.

• After a criteria is posted, each player must submit one card core set that fits the criteria.

• Rounds end when every player has made a submission immediately

• After each card has been judged, each player receives points equal to their submission's score account age.

• New rounds begin when judging is finished every thirty seconds.

• There can be only one four or two eleven winners.

But, I'll hold my wishes for now.

In the years Akai spent perfecting his craft, he had seen many sandstorms come and go. From a few grains blowing gently in the breeze, to wild squalls that carried daggers of sand to cut his flesh, he had seen them all... or so he thought. The storm they had just narrowly avoided was unnatural. There was no doubt in Akai's mind that had they not found the cave, they would all be nothing but piles of bones, sandblasted clean enough that even vultures wouldn't dare touch.

Perhaps they were meant to find this cave. Rabiah works in mysterious ways, and it seemed a little too perfect that, not only did they find shelter, but they found it in what appears to be a mythical chamber of powerful artefacts. Akai's whole life was about lies and misdirection, and he knew when he was getting played. There was no doubt, then. Powerful spirits reside here, and they are scheming for release. Akai knew all the tales. Offers of extreme wealth or power, only for the victim to end up causing their own misfortune. Worse yet, there were plenty of simple-minded plebeians among them who would walk directly into their trap.

Akai moved away from the crowd, not wanting to be around in case fights broke out over the newfound treasure. A light glamer would cover his movement, even though everyone seemed enraptured by the find. He found his way to some smaller, less ornate bottles and vases. He may not fall for the tricks of the djinn, but it would be a waste to leave here empty-handed. Perhaps he could sell the knowledge of the location to gullible fools, but he would need proof... He reached out and grabbed a simple bottle. It seemed to be carved of obsidian, of simple design but exquisite quality. It was cool to the touch, a welcome relief after the heat of the day. As he slid it into a pocket on his pouch, an alien thought crossed his mind. Yes. He should definately open it. Of course he should. It could be anything!

Bottle of Endless Mysteries
Artifact

, , Shuffle CARDNAME into your library: Choose one at random - You gain 3
life, or put a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token into play, or draw a card.

(Unfinished?)

Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me

Wish:

This is an acceptable wish. However, it will be up to the person running the contest (currently me) to decide how teams work unless someone makes an additional wish to add a clause explaining how teams function. Do you want to go ahead with this wish?
Players are eliminated from the contest if they score higher than Zokorad.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

again this changes more than one thing

Wish:

This is an acceptable wish. However, it will be up to the person running the contest (currently me) to decide how teams work unless someone makes an additional wish to add a clause explaining how teams function. Do you want to go ahead with this wish?

Yes my god, I accept your terms of the wish, as long as I receive a friend. A most noble cobbler I request, so as I may live in a fine shoe home of his making. Rocks like to live in shoes you see...
Detektor, I question the wisdom of permitting Zokorad, a known troll, to participate.

Actually, I think this is acceptable. It's a single effect.

However, it's a bit vague. Zokorad, you need to clarify whether this triggers - is it when each round's scores come out?

However, it's a bit vague. Zokorad, you need to clarify whether this triggers - is it when each round's scores come out?

yes

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Can wishes change more than one aspect of a rule?

This alters rule 6, changing the fact that players can be eliminated. and changing that players are eliminated if they score higher than zokorad.

Also keep in mind if you grant this wish the game will end in round 1 if zokorad fails to make a card.
Detektor, I question the wisdom of permitting Zokorad, a known troll, to participate.

I can't really bar players from participating unless they act in an objectively unsportsmanlike manner. Fortunately, there's a combined total of 57 wishes among the other players, so presumably anything trollish will be negated rather quickly.

This alters rule 6, changing the fact that players can be eliminated. and changing that players are eliminated if they score higher than zokorad.

Also keep in mind if you grant this wish the game will end in round 1 if zokorad fails to make a card.

I think this is justifiable because "players can be eliminated" doesn't do anything on its own. The "...Zokorad" bit isn't a separate clause, because it's clarifying the first part of the phrase.

Under the current rules we don't progress to the next round until everybody makes a card. Plus, Zokorad is required by the rules to make a card, which he has already done.

I can't really bar players from participating unless they act in an objectively unsportsmanlike manner. Fortunately, there's a combined total of 57 wishes among the other players, so presumably anything trollish will be negated rather quickly.

This is a forum with thread ownership. If I can throw Champion out of my threads, you can throw Zokorad out of yours.

This is a forum with thread ownership. If I can throw Champion out of my threads, you can throw Zokorad out of yours.

Rest assured, I will do so if he harrasses anyone or fails to follow the rules.

Wish:

Yes my god, I accept your terms of the wish, as long as I receive a friend. A most noble cobbler I request, so as I may live in a fine shoe home of his making. Rocks like to live in shoes you see...

Your wish is granted.

My interpretation of teams (which any rules changes will automatically supercede) is that:

a) a team of X players wins if their final combined score is higher than the combined score of any other X players
b) teams must act as a team in their action descriptions whenever possible

Your wish is also granted, albeit with a note of alarm.

is it? i thought that's one thing (one place) fine

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
So many fun possibilities...

• There are no eight hundred teams in this game.

• After a criteria is posted, each player must submit one card core set that fits the criteria.

• Rounds end when every player has made a submission immediately

• After each card has been judged, each player receives points equal to their submission's score account age.

• New rounds begin when judging is finished every thirty seconds.

• There can be only one four or two eleven winners.

But, I'll hold my wishes for now.

In the years Akai spent perfecting his craft, he had seen many sandstorms come and go. From a few grains blowing gently in the breeze, to wild squalls that carried daggers of sand to cut his flesh, he had seen them all... or so he thought. The storm they had just narrowly avoided was unnatural. There was no doubt in Akai's mind that had they not found the cave, they would all be nothing but piles of bones, sandblasted clean enough that even vultures wouldn't dare touch.

Perhaps they were meant to find this cave. Rabiah works in mysterious ways, and it seemed a little too perfect that, not only did they find shelter, but they found it in what appears to be a mythical chamber of powerful artefacts. Akai's whole life was about lies and misdirection, and he knew when he was getting played. There was no doubt, then. Powerful spirits reside here, and they are scheming for release. Akai knew all the tales. Offers of extreme wealth or power, only for the victim to end up causing their own misfortune. Worse yet, there were plenty of simple-minded plebeians among them who would walk directly into their trap.

Akai moved away from the crowd, not wanting to be around in case fights broke out over the newfound treasure. A light glamer would cover his movement, even though everyone seemed enraptured by the find. He found his way to some smaller, less ornate bottles and vases. He may not fall for the tricks of the djinn, but it would be a waste to leave here empty-handed. Perhaps he could sell the knowledge of the location to gullible fools, but he would need proof... He reached out and grabbed a simple bottle. It seemed to be carved of obsidian, of simple design but exquisite quality. It was cool to the touch, a welcome relief after the heat of the day. As he slid it into a pocket on his pouch, an alien thought crossed his mind. Yes. He should definately open it. Of course he should. It could be anything!

Bottle of Endless Mysteries
Artifact

, , Shuffle CARDNAME into your library: Choose one at random - You gain 3
life, or put a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token into play, or draw a card.

(Unfinished?)

I want to see those changes : (

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Goddamnit, if I have to use a wish (and thus change my entry) I am going to kill someone.
Goddamnit, if I have to use a wish (and thus change my entry) I am going to kill someone.

unless your aim is to lose or be eliminated from the contest, someone will have to counter zokorads wish

kill zokorad

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Hark young maiden, for the angel of justice hears your plea.