A little question about legendaries.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,everyone.

What I want to ask is,Can I have Iona,Shield of Emeria and Linvala,Keeper of Silence on my field at the same time ? 
you can have as many legendary permanents as you want, as long as they don't have the exact same name

you can even have Akroma, Angel of Fury and Akroma, Angel of Wrath out at the same time
proud member of the 2011 community team
Yes.

The "Legend Rule" says that if there are two or more Legendary permanents with the same name on the battlefield (regardless of who controls them), all of the same-named ones are put in their owners' graveyards as a state-based action. There is no limit to the number of Legendary permanents that can be out as long as no two of them have the same name.

(This is true even if they represent the same character from a flavour perspective, like Ertai, Wizard Adept and Ertai, the Corrupted or Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenuis. Unlike with Planeswalkers, the game has no mechanism for "knowing" that these represent the same individual. Note that the two Akromas above are from different timelines so it's debatable whether they're the same character - but either way, you can have both of them out, as Enigma says.)
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Great news ! Thank you guys.
Yes.

The "Legend Rule" says that if there are two or more Legendary permanents with the same name on the battlefield (regardless of who controls them), all of the same-named ones are put in their owners' graveyards as a state-based action. There is no limit to the number of Legendary permanents that can be out as long as no two of them have the same name.

(This is true even if they represent the same character from a flavour perspective, like Ertai, Wizard Adept and Ertai, the Corrupted or Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenuis. Unlike with Planeswalkers, the game has no mechanism for "knowing" that these represent the same individual. Note that the two Akromas above are from different timelines so it's debatable whether they're the same character - but either way, you can have both of them out, as Enigma says.)

My understanding of the legend rule was very slightly different: Both permanents with the same name don't have to be legendary for the one that is to die.

that's not true
if one permanent is not legendary it can coexist with a legendary permanent of the same name
proud member of the 2011 community team

704.5k If two or more legendary permanents with the same name are on the battlefield, all are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “legend rule.” If only one of those permanents is legendary, this rule doesn’t apply.

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Shows what I know.
Well at least I know now. 
It's a good point to be clear on. The difference does sometimes matter; it is possible, for example, to have a Legendary permanent with the same name as a basic land. In the admittedly unlikely scenario where that comes up in a game, it could be very important to know whether all the lands with that name go away, or only the Legendary ones (none if there's only one Legendary one).

(In case it isn't 100% clear, it's the latter.)
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
It's a good point to be clear on. The difference does sometimes matter; it is possible, for example, to have a Legendary permanent with the same name as a basic land.

It just takes one card (besides that basic land and whatever generates the mana) to set that up. Admittedly, that card is a rare from Kamigawa block.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.