2/20/2013 UR: "Experiment One"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Fantastic story, really well written!

The ending reminded me a lot of when Seth Brundle asks the journalist to join him.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I must say, I wasn't expecting the mindset of a Simic bio-engineer to be so eerie. Did anyone else read Brent Week's Lightbringer series? Reminds me of how color wights "remake" themselves. 
I can't believe you bastards confused sentience with sapience.
Fantastic story, really well written!

The ending reminded me a lot of when Seth Brundle asks the journalist to join him.

Yes, I was reminded of The Fly, too. Creepy.

Good stuff.
I must say, I wasn't expecting the mindset of a Simic bio-engineer to be so eerie.

How can you look at cards like Rapid Hybridization or Experiment One and not think otherwise? At least my debate over whether Experiment One started as an ooze or a human was answered. (I'd been pretty sure it started human.)

Though it being self-inflicted is the less dark option- I'm certain the Simic are a good deal less benevolent than the Prime Speaker says they are. (Still one of my favorite guilds, though.)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Truly fascinating.  I love it.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Does anyone even still remember The Burying?
Transhumanism in MtG! I thoroughly enjoyed this week's story. Reminds me of H.P.Lovecraft, as well as rationalist-fic like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

(It's also eerily similar to the origin story of the latest Spiderman movie's villain. But done much better, so I don't mind.)
This makes me wonder what Florian's own Experiment Kraj would be like. "Kraj" is Serbian for "end", after all...If this is the start, what's the finish?

And I wonder if Experiment One was conceived EXPRESSLY to thematically contrast Experiment Kraj from the onset.
Does anyone even still remember The Burying?

Yes. We were promised a part two "next week", if I remember correctly.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.