Reign of Winter 4th Edition Conversion

101 posts / 0 new
Last post

PATHFINDER: Reign of Winter 4th Edition Conversion

So, 4th Edition is dead, at least in the eyes of Wizard of the Coast. Everyone has their views of why this happened. Personally I think the biggest mistake WotC did was to end their cooperation with Paizo. Paizo had delivered some really great adventures paths in the Dungeon Magazines, creating really memorable adventures.
So what should you do, if you as I like the more advanced 4th Edition combat and party interworking? I decided to give it a try to convert the latest Paizo adventure path to 4th Edition. Could the systems interwork? and could the "fluff" of Paizo bring back the magic to 4th Edition? Well we will have to see. If you want to contribute to this work, please do. Any advices, ideas, corrections, contributions, are more than welcome.

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product. I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!
You can buy them here:
1. People of the North
2. Reign of Winter Player's Guide (FREE)
3. The Snows of Summer (Path #67)
4. The Shackled Hut (Path #68)
5. Maiden, Mother, Crone (Path #69)

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
1. People of the North Conversion
2. The Snows of Summer Conversion
3. The Shackled Hut Conversion
4. Maiden, Mother, Crone Conversion
5. Reign of Winter Conversion Maps

Great work!  Most of Paizo's adventure paths are great and your conversion is too!  Considering that I prefer Golarion over Points of Light, I'm more than satisfied with this!  But, be careful about yoinking the layout from PF's products.  I dunno if that's complient with the license, but I don't know much on legal matters.  Considering I run both 4e and PF, I can run either/or depending on the group.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Great work!  Most of Paizo's adventure paths are great and your conversion is too!  Considering that I prefer Golarion over Points of Light, I'm more than satisfied with this!  But, be careful about yoinking the layout from PF's products.  I dunno if that's complient with the license, but I don't know much on legal matters.  Considering I run both 4e and PF, I can run either/or depending on the group.

My thinking was that Paizo had a lot to gain from it. They will not only get Pathfinder players to buy their products, but also 4th Edition users that are in a vacuum right now. However, if any Paizo people request me to take it away, I will of course do so. 
One option would be to change the style into a laying format as I did with the Orcus conversion of the H1 to E3 series, then it is more obvious that it is fan material (as well as easier to read on the screen). I think I will do that. Good advice. Thanks.

I did a fast reformatting of the document so now it at least is obvious it is not the original product, but a Conversion Guide.

Viking Theme, Witchguard Theme and Druid of Winter

I have added a 4th Edition conversion of the viking theme, witchguard theme, as well as powers for the Druid of Winter. 

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product.
I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!
You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
People of the North Conversion: web.comhem.se/mwester/Reign_of_Winter/...
The Snows of Summer: web.comhem.se/mwester/Reign_of_Winter/...

Shaman of the North
I have added and modified some Shaman powers in order to provide more spirits of winter powers to a shaman hailing from the cold north.  

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product.
I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!
You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Winter Witch

I have started the work of converting the Winter Witch to 4th Edition [Page 21-22].  

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Winter Witch
I have finished the Winter Witch conversion to 4th Edition [Page 22-25]. Now I will start looking at the paragon paths.  

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Winter Witch Paragon Path
I have added the Winter Witch Paragon Path [Page 25-26].   

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Cold Weather Primer
I have reworked the Pathfinder cold weather rules to fit the 4th Edition rules [Page 14-15]. I have also added a list of paragon paths and epic destinies with ties to winter and snow [Page 30]    

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show
Again, great stuff!  If my 4e group wants to try Reign of Winter, we'll run the conversion.  Personally, I'm excited for "Rasputin must die!"

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Again, great stuff!  If my 4e group wants to try Reign of Winter, we'll run the conversion.  Personally, I'm excited for "Rasputin must die!"

Same here. Travelling to the real earth and facing "modern" weapon sounded like a real intresting twist.

The Snows of Summer
Got some time during Eastern to start the conversion of the first installment of the adventure path - The Snows of Summer. Had to increase the number of enemies on several encounters to better meet the 4th Edition combat setup. This forced me to rewrite many of the creature entries and tactics sections from the original adventure in order to meet the new monsters. I also had to convert 3 monsters that are not described in 4th Edition.    

You can buy them here:
paizo.com/products/btpy8v35?Pathfinder-P...
paizo.com/products/btpy8x1t?Pathfinder-A...

Show

G: Bandits on the Trail
Just added the G encounter conversion [Page 8-9].    

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

H1-H14: High Sentinel Lodge
Just added the H encounter conversion [Page 9-12].    

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

H15: Planning Room
Just added the H15 encounter conversion [Page 13-14]. It was interesting to convert a NPC to 4th Edition. I think I manage to convey the flavor of the 3.5 edition in the new statistics.  

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

H16-K Encounters
I have added the H16 to K encounter conversions [Page 15-17], as well as a conversion of the frost fir in the Bestiary [Page 21].  

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

L-M2 Encounters
This have been quite a fun conversion work. In the M1 encounter I added some more descriptions on what the characters could see within the ice blocks, as well as I did a tweak of the haunt which will have players deciding either to take the challenge of staying to learn more, run away in terror, or leave in order to not face the damage dealt.

The M2 encounter with Thora Petska, the guardian doll, could become quite memorable as well. It is the first encounter in which they face the magic of the white witches, which should scare the party. In 4th edition I have made the guardian doll a solo monster (used a demilich and a beholder for inspiration). Will be fun to see five adventurers fighting of a single levitating doll!?!!

Please give any feedback on the doll, if you think it is over-powered or not.   

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

The Black Rider to The Hungry Mantis
I created a skill challenge out of the meeting with the Black Rider and have also added The Hungry Mantis encounter.  

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Event 3-5 + Nadya Companion
I have converted Event 3, 4 and 5 to 4th Edition. I also converted Nadya so that she might be used as a companion.   

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show
Not much conversion work right now. Visiting San Francisco on a business trip this week.

/Myrhdraak 

Event 6-Q12: The Pale Tower
Got 12 hours on the plane back so I managed to do some conversion work [Page 31-39]. Once I have all the monsters converted I will start looking at the treasures as well as terrain effects on the encounters. 

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show
I applaud you for the work you've done on these!

Event Q13-Q17: The Pale Tower
Added Q13 to Q17 in the Pale Tower, with still some work left in Q17. I also had to change many of the previous encounters to get the XP budget to get even. Will probably have to provide a guide as to how to combine encounters within the Pale Tower to make them challenging enough. 

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Event Q20-Q24: The Pale Tower
Finished converting all the encounters in The Snows of Summer. Even managed to make that goat familiar into something that made sense in the final battle against Radosek. Think it might be a good grand finale, especially if he escapes down into the courtyard and animates the ice dragon. Players will not like that. :-)

Next step will be to look into treasure parcels as well as magic item conversions, and maybe add some interesting terrain elements to some of the encounters.

What do you think. Is the 4th Edition version as playable as the 3.5 edition/Pathfinder version?       

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Reign of Winter Toolkit
Went through the Reign of Winter Toolkit [Page 48-50] and updated the templates and spells to 4th Edition. Will not take a look on the magic items. Found some formatting errors in People of the North which I updated as well.       

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show
Suggestive Tea

Are working on translating all the magic items to 4th Edition but got stuck on the Suggestive Tea. I just realized that you do not have any arcane rituals similar in effect as charm person and suggestion in 4th Edition, at least not outside of combat. I saw some forum discussions on this but no house rule suggestions. Both these spells have a great out-of-combat use and a lot of roleplaying potential. Anybody seen any rule suggestions related to this? 

Treasure and Terrain up to H11
I have started to add treasures as well as converting some magic items to 4th Edition. I have also added terrain features to the combat encounters. So far I have gotten to H11. One reflection is that many of the encounters along the trail will be very easy as the players can take an extended rest whenever they want. I am considering to add some house rules for healing and some new healing rituals in order to compensate for this.       

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

People of the North: House Rules for Resting and Healing
There has been many complaints on the fast recovery system in 4th Edition. Everything from being unrealistic to affecting encounter design (especially in outdoor encounters were adventurers can take an extended rest whenever they want almost). As The Snow of Summer is an outdoor adventure mostly, I created a set of house rules for handling resting and healing in the People of the North Conversion [Page 38-39]. I will add some rituals to it as well. Please provide your feedback on this. Would it fit in your campaign and way of playing?       

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

People of the North: House Rules for Resting and Healing
There has been many complaints on the fast recovery system in 4th Edition. Everything from being unrealistic to affecting encounter design (especially in outdoor encounters were adventurers can take an extended rest whenever they want almost). As The Snow of Summer is an outdoor adventure mostly, I created a set of house rules for handling resting and healing in the People of the North Conversion [Page 38-39]. I will add some rituals to it as well. Please provide your feedback on this. Would it fit in your campaign and way of playing?

Myth,

These look interesting.  I like the healing kits and limited recovery.  I will have to try something like this in an upcoming adventure.  Thank you for sharing.  FYI, I am not sure why you have the optional skill check side bar in there twice - I didn't notice any difference between the to at first glance.

Myth,

These look interesting.  I like the healing kits and limited recovery.  I will have to try something like this in an upcoming adventure.  Thank you for sharing.  FYI, I am not sure why you have the optional skill check side bar in there twice - I didn't notice any difference between the to at first glance.

They are intended to use the same mechanism to make it similar and easy to remember the only difference is that short rest "...you can use one healing surge to regain lost hit points", while extended rest allows you to "...you regain one lost healing surge."

Myth,

They are intended to use the same mechanism to make it similar and easy to remember the only difference is that short rest "...you can use one healing surge to regain lost hit points", while extended rest allows you to "...you regain one lost healing surge."

Yep, after I posted I realized the difference.  Thank you for sharing!

People of the North: Healing Rituals
I have now added rituals that help characters to regain their hit points faster [Page 40-42]. It introduces the classical cure and restoration spells into the game. What do you think, will it work and be used or is it priced to high?

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Animate Dead
I have been working on adding treasure to the adventure. I have come to H16 where there were some scrolls of animate dead. There is no similar spell in 4th Edition, but I felt it was quite tied to the story, so I wanted to add it. The closest I could find was the summoning rules, so I tried to build on them, as well as doing some calculations to see if the ritual became too over-powered. What do you think? [Page 55]    

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Treasures and Battle Features up to P5
Adding some more features for the battles up to P5 as well as treasures. One reflection (which I think I read about when 4th Edition was launched), is that there is more magic items and less consumables in 4th Edition. I guess the desing thinking is that the characters powers should be in focus and not the magic items and potions. But I decided to try to stick to a straight conversion of the Pathfinder adventure, so it will be more "one-shot-magic" than what you normally find in 4th Edition adventures, which means I have converted them to 4th Edition in the magic section. You will also find some updates on healing potions in the People of the North conversion.    

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Snows of Summer: Battle Maps
As many of the encounters take place along the road with various degree of snow, I have created three versions of the same battle map to be used for these encounter, with increasing level of snow [Page 72-74].    

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Treasures and Battle Features up to Q7
Have continued adding feature descriptions for the battles as well as treasures up to Q7 in the Pale Tower. I also made a modified version of the Tavern from Game Master Map Pack: Village. So if you are using miniatures that is the one for you. I have also created some DM Advice into how to combine the encounters in the Pale Tower in order to make it challenging for a 4th Edition party.    

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Problems at the End
Doing the treasure conversion I noticed that the adventure path lacked more tangible magical weapons and armor, as it was also very low on total value. So during my conversion I added items in order to follow the 4th Edition guidelines for treasure distribution during each levels. Everything was working fine until I got to the end of the adventure. It seems the original designers put all the treasure in a big heap at the end.

So my question to you out there. Is that good design? Will adventurers in the 4th Edition version, be happy to wait to get their serious loot until they gain 5th level? Or should I reduce the value of the end heap and distribute it more evenly during the five levels?      

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

The Snows of Summer Finished!!!!
That was about it. Managed to get most of the treasure in by doing some tweaking. The conversion is finished. So the big question is - will this adventure play as well in 4th Edition as it does in 3.5 Edition?

Doing the conversion you realize that some of the "fluff" of 3.5, but also the Pathfinder adventures have gone missing in 4th Edition.
1.  All the kind of consumables are gone in 4th Edition, which allowed you in 3.5 Edition to have a limited number of minor powers.
2. The rationale and motivation behind main characters actions was never much described in 4th Edition adventures from WotC, making adventures more shallowed.
3. The monster descriptions lacked depth in 4th Edition, in exchange for a wider variety of the same monster (allowing you to build more interesting battles, but yet again, making mosters more shallow)
4. The creation of undead, objects, plants, etc. was never translated to 4th Edition, probably due to its risk of unbalancing certain characters vs. others. However, this was also some of the charm of 3.5 edition. Some game method for it was needed in 4th Edition
5. Roleplaying like spells was never translated to rituals in 4th Edition, such as charm person, suggestion, etc. which are just as important outside of battle as in the battle (where it had an equivalent of course). This probably restricted players to have more indepth roleplaying encounters or options (rather than battle).
6. The crafting and creation of things in 3.5 edition (even though seldom used), was well described in 3.5 edition and have maybe been over-simplified in 4th Edition. Yet again reducing depth.

So my question to you out there. Is that good design? Will adventurers in the 4th Edition version, be happy to wait to get their serious loot until they gain 5th level? Or should I reduce the value of the end heap and distribute it more evenly during the five levels?      

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

The Snows of Summer Finished!!!!
That was about it. Managed to get most of the treasure in by doing some tweaking. The conversion is finished. So the big question is - will this adventure play as well in 4th Edition as it does in 3.5 Edition?

Doing the conversion you realize that some of the "fluff" of 3.5, but also the Pathfinder adventures have gone missing in 4th Edition.
1.  All the kind of consumables are gone in 4th Edition, which allowed you in 3.5 Edition to have a limited number of minor powers.
2. The rationale and motivation behind main characters actions was never much described in 4th Edition adventures from WotC, making adventures more shallowed.
3. The monster descriptions lacked depth in 4th Edition, in exchange for a wider variety of the same monster (allowing you to build more interesting battles, but yet again, making mosters more shallow)
4. The creation of undead, objects, plants, etc. was never translated to 4th Edition, probably due to its risk of unbalancing certain characters vs. others. However, this was also some of the charm of 3.5 edition. Some game method for it was needed in 4th Edition
5. Roleplaying like spells was never translated to rituals in 4th Edition, such as charm person, suggestion, etc. which are just as important outside of battle as in the battle (where it had an equivalent of course). This probably restricted players to have more indepth roleplaying encounters or options (rather than battle).
6. The crafting and creation of things in 3.5 edition (even though seldom used), was well described in 3.5 edition and have maybe been over-simplified in 4th Edition. Yet again reducing depth.

You can buy them here:
paizo.com/products/btpy8v35?Pathfinder-P...
paizo.com/products/btpy8x1t?Pathfinder-A...

Show

Thank you for all your hard work! 
Good work. I'm with you about Paizo APs and converting them to 4E now that the edition is dead. If I have anything as good as yours to share (which is doubtful right now) I'll post it here.
Sign In to post comments