Official DC event at PAX East

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looks like we are going to see the first official WotC Dungeon Command tournament at the upcoming PAX East convention. Better late than never I suppose. This gives me hope that the line is not dead yet.

C'mon Wizards, please announce the next set!

Edit: Here's a link to the WotC schedule for PAX East where they describe the tournament structure (scroll down to the Sunday events). Hopefully they get a good turnout and the event is a success.
Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity too: the "New to D&D Open Board Game Play" doesn't have DC in it. That seems to me that it would be the perfect time to attract new players.
At this point there are still passes available for Sunday but they are certain to sell out soon. If you want to have a shot at being crowned the first ever Dungeon Command champion, you'd better buy your pass ASAP. There doesn't seem to be a lot of knowledge of this event (WotC isn't exactly whipping up the hype on it) so my guess is that you won't have a lot of competition. Sign up today and take a shot at the title!
At this point there are still passes available for Sunday but they are certain to sell out soon. If you want to have a shot at being crowned the first ever Dungeon Command champion, you'd better buy your pass ASAP. There doesn't seem to be a lot of knowledge of this event (WotC isn't exactly whipping up the hype on it) so my guess is that you won't have a lot of competition. Sign up today and take a shot at the title!

I'll certainly be there, and I'm psyched.  Hopefully some of my playgroup will be too.  I'm running the night shift for my store's booth in the tabletop hall so a Sunday afternoon (well, morning into afternoon, whatever) event is perfect.  Hopefully see some of y'all at the show.  And if you're there before the last day, come say hi at the Pandemonium booth in Tabletop, I'll be there 6pm-2am.
I'm debating with myself going to PAX East just for the Sunday so I can play in the DC tournament... But Boston is kind of far and I'd have to be on the bus and I work on the Monday. And I'm kind of broke...

Anybody would be kind enough to cover the event while there? At least give an idea of the field and what are the top finishing warbands?
I'm debating with myself going to PAX East just for the Sunday so I can play in the DC tournament... But Boston is kind of far and I'd have to be on the bus and I work on the Monday. And I'm kind of broke...

Anybody would be kind enough to cover the event while there? At least give an idea of the field and what are the top finishing warbands?

I'll try to type up a report, but since I'm also working it I've historically been really beat after it, so I don't want to promise anything.
Would love a report also! Boston is just too far for me.
Don't forget, the first official DC tournament is being held this Sunday at Pax East! Who will be the champion?

We've been jamming test games in the store most of the week!

Hopefully working my booth Fri/Sat night won't leave me too exhausted to play well. 
Good luck! I expect that your bugbear deck will come out on top.
Good luck! I expect that your bugbear deck will come out on top.

Not playing that one, it is too obnoxious and I want to encourage locals to keep playing Tongue Out  I like my deck well enough though.
heh, that point about encouraging locals... we'll see

I want to participate on Sun, but I come with only basic deck building - i.e. from a fan of the game but I won't go out buying 4x copies of each box... we'll see, I intend to have fun, not there to beat everyone, as sadly any game like this is ultimately, competitively, first about $ then about skill once the $ is leveled (if everyone had access to all 4x copies of all cards, then it would be all skill). Oh yeah and luck
heh, that point about encouraging locals... we'll see

I want to participate on Sun, but I come with only basic deck building - i.e. from a fan of the game but I won't go out buying 4x copies of each box... we'll see, I intend to have fun, not there to beat everyone, as sadly any game like this is ultimately, competitively, first about $ then about skill once the $ is leveled (if everyone had access to all 4x copies of all cards, then it would be all skill). Oh yeah and luck

You should have played man, they had a lot of sweet prizes and everyone ended up getting one.  Also would have been nice to have more than 4 people.  I also would have gladly loaned you some stuff.  Oh well, next time.

In general I think DC is more friendly to people who don't buy everything than other games.  Certainly having it all is an advantage but there's a lot of skill and because it's not collecible the card power level is much closer than in something like Magic.  In any case.

So, tournament report!  We had a rather sad 4 players: three Pandemonium regulars and a nice dude from Halifax.  I was pretty bummed at this because a) I play all these people all the time and b) I was hoping we'd have a huge turnout and show WOTC that the game rules.  Unfortunatly it didn't get a lot of support over the weekend - they didn't seem to be running demos of it or anything in the lead-in which was too bad.  In retrospect I wish I'd run some demo games of it in my own booth, but I decided to use my tables other ways because I figured WOTC would do it themselves.  Alas, a missed opportunity.

Other decks were: Ian from Pandemonium with his Str/Con "Jund" deck, Jamie from Pandemonium with a pretty straightforward (though quite nice) Dexterity brew, and the guy from Halifax whose name I forgot to write down because I suck, with an Int/Cha build.  It was a 2-round event and I ended up just playing Ian and Jamie, so I don't know a ton about that last deck - it seemed to be primary Int with 3 of the Spirits for low-level Cha, and everything else being the Int/Cha guys (Hobgoblins, Dracoliches, etc).  I know he was running at least one Revelation, which always earns points with me.

I skipped the Bugbear Combo build on the grounds of it being miserable to play against, and went instead with a Beastmaster brew, which at least lets the opponent play their defense cards.  That said Beastmaster also seems pretty unfair to me so I'll likely not bust this one out again for in-store play.  Here's the list:

Commander: Snig the Axe
Snig has two huge advantages in this deck: large creature hand (since you really want to start a Priestess or at least draw enough 1-drops to get to it after initial deploy) and his special ability.  If you can afford to start 6 Leadership, Snig's ability is a game changer like few others are, and in a deck like this where I expect my creatures to die frequently, it is utterly invaluable.  There are some crazy tricks you can do with it too, that I'll talk about a bit later.

Creature Deck:
3x Drow Priestess
4x Demonweb Spider
2x Shadow Mastiff

2x Giant Spider
1x Wolf
I was slightly component limited here - despite having most stuff in full playsets, I only own 2 copies of Sting of Lolth and we haven't opened many for our in-store tournament prizes, so that's all the Priestesses, Shadow Mastiffs, and Giant Spiders I own, hence the random singleton Wolf.  That said, I was glad to have another low-level creature, and with Snig's large creature hand I never really lacked a particular dude when I wanted it.  And the Wolf's ability to tap defenders is often randomly relevant.  So this could be the correct creature mix regardless.  Another Giant Spider might be right instead, though, since the ability to use Shadowy Ambush unaided is pretty nice.

Order Deck:
4x Lolth's Blessing
4x Change of Plans
4x Beastmaster
4x Quick Jab
4x Piercing Strike
3x Shadowy Ambush
2x Nimble Strike
2x Riposte
1x Close Call
2x Stealth

The Wisdom suite:  Change of Plans is a card that I hate playing because psychologically I hate to discard cards - I always feel like, "man these cards are all sweet, if I didn't want to play these cards, they wouldn't be in my deck, why would I want to discard something?"  But it's a great card, and you really want either an early Beastmaster or an early Lolth's Blessing or both, or else your deck is just a bunch of kind of bad Dex dudes with sweet deployment rules.  Which is fine but not really the point.  Beastmaster is (joining Magic Short Sword) a card I'm pretty sure shouldn't have been printed as-is; it's like a Goblin War Cry that doesn't go away at the end of the turn, or an Undaunted Surge that works on everyone on your team and is allowed to stack.  It might be ok as a Standard action, but as-is you can just hold them until you're ready to unleash spidery death, so you don't really risk losing them if you lose the Priestess.  This card is dumb and takes this deck from reasonable to stupid.  Lolth's Blessing is what it always was, a card that makes sure you dominate the long game if they can't kill your priestess.

Attack cards: These are pretty straightforward I think, they're just IMO the best Dex cards, tending towards level 1 or level 3 due to the creature level distribution in the deck.  Quick Jab is always good but is especially dumb with Beastmaster.

Defense cards: Snig is this deck's primary defense card; except for a Priestess with cards attached, you don't really care if any of your other creatures die most of the time, so there are very few defense cards in the deck.  The Ripostes are more like additional Quick Jabs pretending to be defense cards; you hold them until 2-3 Beastmasters are out and then use them to finish off dudes you couldn't quite kill on your turn.  Close Call is there in case you need to save a Priestess or critically positioned Shadow Mastiff, but mostly I discarded it to Change of Plans.  If I played again I might just run another Riposte or Stealth.  Stealth isn't technically a defense card but was a late addition to the deck that rules, and primarily serves as defense.  After having some trouble with Behind Enemy Lines and other ways the opponent could pressure my Priestess, like Bugbears popping out of Stealth or whatever, I realized that a great defense was just not to be on the board for a critical opponent turn!  After that, I realized other stuff about Stupid Stealth Tricks, like that with Priestess + Snig, you can emerge from Stealth and then immediately use Snig's ability + the Priestess' ability to be a mobile spawn point to drop a bunch of spiders right after emerging from Stealth.  Spicy!

This deck is generally going to play like a classic late-game deck - the Priestess gets Blessing(s) and hides, while Demonweb Spiders go out and get treasure and get in the way and otherwise annoy the opponent.  One critical thing to realize about level 1 creatures is that they're often more valuable if they're not next to an opponent - if no Beastmaster is going on, the 10 damage from the tiny spiders is generally pretty useless, but making one of the opponent's guys use their movement for the turn to go stand next to the spider in order to kill it is golden, so I'll often not take attacks with the spiders in order to stand them 1-2 squares away and just be annoying.  Later in the game, the Priestess busts out 2-3 Beastmasters in one turn and suddenly the goofy little tiny spiders hit for 30+ damage and kill everything.  If anything survives they all die, but you don't care because you can immediately replace them with Giant Spiders and Shadow Mastiffs without losing a turn (Snig!) and still doing 40 damage unless they managed to kill the Priestess.  Sometimes you don't draw any Blessings but draw some Beastmasters instead and just kill people stratight up.  The only games that are rough are if you don't get either and don't get any Change of Plans to dig for them, but with 12 total copies out of 30, that's very unlikely.  (It also sucks if you don't get a Priestess but it's really easy to dig through this deck so that's very rare).

Overall I think this is quite close to the ideal build for this deck, and that if you're in a tournament that allows Beastmaster as printed, it's a pretty good choice.  Not sure whether this or the Bugbear Combo deck is better; they're both honestly pretty similar.  Before I added Stealth to this one I felt like Bugbear had the advantage, but now I'm not at all sure - the Bugbear deck is more likely to be able to kill the Priestess in this deck, but you can just literally ignore their combo turn if your Priestess isn't on the board or doesn't have anything attached, and unlike the Bugbear deck all of your creatures are potentially dangerous once Beastmaster gets online.

So, with four people we did the whole two rounds of swiss.  Woot Frown  Here are game recaps; apologies if I forget some details.  I usually have a good memory for this stuff but I'm pretty exhaustes so I might mess up a bit.

Round 1: Jamie
Playing one of the dudes I'd been testing against all week, strong.

Jamie's came with straight-up Dexterity-based good stuff: Bugbears, Half-Orc Thugs, Goblin Archers, Goblin Champions, with Quick Shot/Jab, Shadowy Ambush, Close Call, Nimble Strike, Stealth and similar.  All the best Dex creatues and Dex orders.  Pretty good, but I felt pretty good about it since my deck had an unfair card in it and his IMO didn't.  (Bugbear is pretty close and I'm not convinced his ability is really something that should exist but this deck doesn't care much since unlike a lot of decks, if he trades Bugbear + lots of cards for most of my board, I can pretty easily come back from that.)

Early game looked like it was going exactly as planned, he dropped some early dudes and killed my initial spiders, but I got some Wisdom attachments going on my Priestess and got enough treasure to cover my losses, so I felt the game was swinging my way when I took out his initial wave in response and ended up up on morale.  (This is a pretty typical early game for this deck.)  I got a nasty surprise, though, when his second-wave Bugbear popped into Stealth mode, a late addition to his deck that he'd told me he was going to make, but I'd forgotten in the PAX lead-in.  (Since I'm the event manager at my store as my actual job, I have a lot of stuff to do profesionally prepping for big cons like PAX, not just testing DC!)  I don't think I had my own Stealth to clear out, but since he wasn't all-in on Bugbear combo, the Priestess was able to survive the turn with a well-timed Riposte (as damage prevention for once!).  If a Priestess with attachments survives an attack run the game is usually over.  This one went on a bit longer but basically wasn't an exception; he had to spend too many cards and other resources (turns hunting treasure, positioning, etc) trying to take out the Priestess so once she pulled through I was very far ahead.

Ian also took out the Canadian.  We had 60 minutes to play this round, and both matches were over in under 30.  (This is not atypical in my experience and is no bad thing - I like that we could have had very long and detailed games without running out of time.  But an interesting feature of the tournament rules that's worth noting, unlike Magic where some matches take very close to time even if played quickly.)  In any case, I was therefore playing Ian in round 2 for the championship.

Round 2: Ian

Ian runs an interesting Str/Con deck he affectionately calls "Jund" after the Magic deck where pretty much all the cards give you card advantage.  His creature package is Dragon Knights, Wereboars, Orc Barbarians, and Orc Archers.  Unlike the kind of Str/Con decks I tend to build, though, he runs Rhynseera and a lot of copies of Slice and Defensive Advantage (cards that provide a minor attack/defense benefit but also draw a card).  Because of this, he can draw through a lot of cards each turn and runs a lot of dangerous 2-of's that are situationally powerful but that he can discard if the situation isn't right, and is very likely to eventually draw between Rhynseera's ability and the draw off of Slice/Advantage.  Relevant to this matchup are Behind Enemy Lines and Level Up (to go with his Heroic Surges in case he doesn't have a Dragon Knight.)  We have a gentleman's agreement that we don't play Magic Short Sword in store games (and are extending it to Beastmaster after this event, unless we houserule it to be a Standard) but since we didn't realize we'd be the only people to speak of in this tournament, we decided to pull out the stops for the event since there was no reason to believe others wouldn't run the card.  So for this event he also had a dangerous 2-of Magic Short Sword, though against my deck it's not particularly relevant except that it stops me cowering, which I do on occasion since the spiders are so good at looting.  Another key card in this matchup is a new addition from Blood, Charge, which makes Dragon Knights and other slow Strength beaters much more dangerous since you can't math out the movement as well.  Ian runs 4, which given all his card selection means you can pretty much assume he always has one in his hand, often along with a Heroic Surge or two.  This combination makes blocking with small spiders much less reliable and allows him to occasionally have a crazy Bugbear-like combo turn.

This is one of the few Dungeon Command matchups I've played where the initial tile setup and the die roll to go first are both pretty important - if Ian's start zone is on the same side as mine and this pretty close, it's much easier for him to put pressure on my Priestess, ditto if he goes first, though both of these have become less relevant since I added Stealth.  In our store tournament the weekend before PAX, Ian beat me in large part because his start zone was very close to mine and he got first turn, so he effectively pinned the Priestess in and I never managed to get the pressure off of her long enough to get going.  I learned from that experience and added Stealth to my deck, as well as changing my tile selection around a bit, so I was hoping for revenge this time!

With the initial setup we split the advantages - I won the die roll to go first, but Ian correctly guessed my tile setup and so his start zone was on the same side as mine.  He opened with the turn 1 deploy of single Orc Barbarian, indicating either his opening hand was 2x Dragon Knight + Orc Barbarian and he was pretty unlucky, or that he was planning to turn 2 Behind Enemy Lines me.  (Of course, even in the case of the bad opening hand, he had effectively 4 draws to find Behind Enemy Lines since he could draw and use Rhynseera every turn.)  So I knew my Priestess needed to get out of the start zone ASAP.  Luckily my initial hand had Change of Plans in it, which let me dig to Stealth, as well as two Beastmaster.  So she hung out pretty close to my start zone so she could be most effective at forward deployment.  On my turn 1 I dropped 2 Demonwebs off of forward deploy, and looted the treasure nearest my start zone, and the treasure nearest his (primarily for spite).  On his turn he killed the Spider on his treasure and then ticked up Leadership, ready to drop the Dragon Knight on the next turn.  On my turn, I deployed a Giant Spider (5 squares ahead of my Priestess, so in range of his Orc!) and then activated Priestess, dropping 2 Beastmaster and then entering stealth mode.  I Shadowy Ambushed his Orc Barbarian for 70 (50 + 2x Beastmaster) with the Giant Spider.  At this point Ian made a play I consider to be a mistake, though I can see where he was coming from - he decided to cower with the Orc since he didn't have a defense card to play.  His justification was that if his Barbarian dies he doesn't have a creature on the board to use Behind Enemy Lines on, so he has to just redeploy in his start zone, which is now effectively camped by my spiders since our start zones are so close.  I think this is defensible and he probably wasn't going to win regardless, but even with double Beastmaster killing a Dragon Knight isn't all that easy, and the risk with cowering this damage is that if I have Quick Jab you have to cower again or the Demonweb Spider can auto-kill the Orc if I have a Piercing Strike.  As it turned out I did have Quick Jab, which I used on the Giant Spider to hit again for 40.  Since Ian knows I run 4 Peircing Strike he also had to cower that, and was now at 2 morale!  I moved up and hit his Barbarian with a Nimble Strike off my Demonweb Spider, leaving it at 20 HP and myself with one card remaining, a Riposte.

Ian knew Riposte was a possibility so he didn't bother to attack with the Barbarian (since it would have died and lost him the game), instead stepping back and using Behind Enemy Lines to bring in the Dragon Knight.  (We weren't sure if I could Riposte his Behind Enemy Lines and neither was the head judge, so he just stepped back.)  At that point though it was clear he'd lost - even if he killed all my dudes, I wouldn't lose, and my Priestess could pop out of stealth and drop guys right on top of his critically injured Orc Barbarian.  So he scooped and I won.

It was a very fast and brutal game, and one Ian understandably felt like he really never had a chance in.  It shows the power of both stacking Beastmaster, making level 1 spiders hit as hard as level 4 vampires (!!), and also the way this deck can sometimes just draw several of them very early and unexpectedly unleash a powerful early rush.  Ian played well given his expectation that he had to kill the Priestess and I would try to make the game go long, but when I didn't run full-tilt away from my start zone with her on turn 1, and when I didn't put any attachments on her regardless, I think he maybe should have figured out what was going on and just discarded the Behind Enemy Lines and deployed his Dragon Knight normally.  If he'd done that, he could have let his Orc Barbarian die and just faced me in straight-up combat without a morale disadvantage, where he maybe could have won.  That said, I had a very early double Beastmaster, almost certainly a broken card, so all of my guys were fighting way above level, and I was running Snig the Axe, so any losses he took cost his creatures an activation, whereas any losses I took didn't.  There was probably little he could ultimately have done, making the finals a kind of disappointing anticlimax.

WOTC had decided to give prizes to top 4, so everyone got a pretty sweet prize.  We all got a bunch of D&D related swag and some poster signed by Scott Kurtz (of the PVP webcomic and D&D 4E podcasts).  Ian and Jamie also got copies of Blood of Gruumsh, which is cool because they're not psychos like me (and don't get my employee discount) and so hadn't bought 3 copies each.  I got one of the limited-edition giant-sized Orcus minis from early in 4e, which is pretty sweet and I will likely display with the various other arcana in my room.  So that worked out well.

If WOTC holds another official event I encourage everyone to attend - the staff were good and enthusiastic, the prizes were very generous, and it'd be great to show them some support for this awesome game.  Also, if you are running events in your store I'd encourage you to sanction and upload them through Wizards Event Reporter - that's a major way WOTC knows how much play the game is getting.  Thanks for reading! 
aaah!!!

Awesome post, gotta read the full extent of it, but sad/grr to have missed it (life got in the way for Sunday - I was there all day Sat though!). 
aaah!!!

Awesome post, gotta read the full extent of it, but sad/grr to have missed it (life got in the way for Sunday - I was there all day Sat though!). 

Ah, sorry life got in the way - but glad you didn't decide to bail due to card access issues.  Hopefully see you at a store event soon!  (We have one this Sat if you're interested.)
 Well, I would have gone to PAX just to take part in this tournament except for one stupid detail. I had written on my calendar that PAX East was the weekend of the 29-31 (Easter Weekend). With the holiday and family plans I would not have been able to go so I put it out of my mind. I did not find out it was last weekend until the middle of last week and it was to late for me to arrange to go.
 Very mad at myself, I would have loved to attend this event; despite the fact that I probably would have come in last. ;)

Maybe it doesn't belong here, as it is more of a rules question, but I see a card interpretation that my crew doesn't use at the moment.  I think it is one that will tone down the power of Beatmaster and balance it a bit more.  You stated in your report the following "I Shadowy Ambushed his Orc Barbarian for 70 (50 + 2x Beastmaster) with the Giant Spider."  We do not add any bonuses for cards that state a fixed amount of damage like Shadowy Ambush and Riposte.  Card text from Shadowy Ambush is "Shift 2 squares. Make a melee attack that deals 50 Damage."  While cards like this state that they are melee attacks, we believe this is just to clarify that they are not ranged attacks or other damage (like terrain), and thus require the creature to be adjacent (or within reach for the Horned Devil).

Contrast this with cards like Power Attack that say "Make a melee attack that deals +20 Damage."  In this case, one needs to know what the base melee attack value is so you know to what you are adding the +20.  Because of this, presumably other bonuses like Beastmaster would apply.  But where a fixed amount of damage is specified, we do not allow further modification.  It may be worth considering as a house rule to tone down Beastmaster in the absence of any official ruling.

I think if we decide to house rule Beastmaster we won't go with that one.  It hurts various other cards (Goblin War Cry, Undaunted Surge) that I don't think need to be hurt, and it'd really just change the order mix for my deck - I'd switch Shadowy Ambushes into Nimble Strikes and Sacrifices, which would be probably a tiny bit worse but not that big a difference.   Ultimately the problem with Beastmaster is that having level 1's hitting for 30+ and level 3's hitting for 40+ is just way, way off the curve.  Shadowy Ambush can only get played by the Giant Spider and Shadow Mastiff anyway, and half the time the problem is you get blown out by Demonwebs that hit way above level.

I think either making Beastmaster a Standard (so it fights with Blessing anc you have to take the risk of setting up multiples in advance one at a time) or limiting it to one per Priestess (so you can't really get more than +10 total) is the way I'd try to do it.  Not sure it's really worth it if either of those rules are true, though, unfortunately. 
So...wait...only 4 people showed up for the DC tourney? Out of everyone attending Pax East?....that IS rather sad. Fortunately I see several posts on these boards about stores running DC during TableTop Day. I really hope that will create some new fans.
So...wait...only 4 people showed up for the DC tourney? Out of everyone attending Pax East?....that IS rather sad. Fortunately I see several posts on these boards about stores running DC during TableTop Day. I really hope that will create some new fans.

I hope so too!  I'm having one of our regular DC tournaments during Tabletop Day to try to drum up some support, but PAX East being in town and so close really prevented me from getting Tabletop Day together with much notice so I don't know how successful it'll be in our store this year Frown

That said, I really felt like WOTC could have pushed the DC event harder.  There wasn't an official announcement even on these boards, and I only heard about it because someone else noticed it on the schedule and mentioned it to our playgroup.  Meanwhile one thing I've learned in my con work is that if you have a tournament of a game on Sunday, you demo that game on Friday and Saturday and say "by the way, come play Sunday."  There weren't any DC demos at the whole show as far as I could tell.  I guess maybe the idea was that a Constructed event wouldn't be newbie friendly...but it's not like there was anything stopping someone with showing up out-of-the-box, which is totally legal, and I've certainly known gamers to do sillier things than buy a bunch of a game after 1-2 plays because they want to brew for a tournament.  (Back when I worked booth for an indy wargame at gencon/historicon, we had a con special of "buy all 10 factions for the price of 8" or whatever and got 1d6 takers per con.)

Anyway, it was too bad, though it's not like it wasn't nice to win or that I'll stop playing or anything, just felt like a missed opportunity. 
Sad indeed.  I'm anxious to see the GenCon event list to see if Wizards will be offering anything at all related to DC.  I am currently planning to haul all my DC stuff to Indy, at least to play casually with some friends from far-away places pre-con.  It would be even better if there was an official event or two.
For the sake of posterity, my Undead INT / CHA deck:

2 x Hobgoblin Sorcerer
2 x Hypnotic Spirit
2 x Disciple of Kyuss
2 x Vampire Stalker
2 x Lich Necromancer
2 x Dracolich

CHA
2 x Necrotic Howl
2 x Call to Battle
2 x Unending Horde
4 x Strength in Numbers
2 x Fear
4 x Warning Shout
2 x Terrifying Revelation

INT
2 x Mage Hand
2 x Gout of Fire
4 x Vampiric Touch (gotta love affinity!)
2 x Dispel Magic
2 x Fireball
2 x Arcane Ritual

Commander was Tarkon, tiles were heavy on difficult terrain and magic circles.

I had not picked up any Orc sets before the tournament - hey, I was optimistic about prizes! - so that stuff was all new to me.

First game: My opponent and I set up our units - he starts with an Orc Beserker and something else, I start with a Lich and a Specter. Map setup looks like it favours me - there's a long straightaway between our deployment zones, and some nearby treasure and circles that the specter can phase to. Opponent wins first turn opportunity. We're about 15 spaces apart.

Opponent's first turn: His Beserker plays Undaunted Charge (+10 dmg), Magic Short Sword, and Into the Fray. He then moves his speed, closing within a few squares. Next he plays Charge as his standard action, killing the Spectre with 40 unpreventable damage. He then untaps and plays Hacking Frenzy for 70 unpreventable damage on my Lich.

I open my first turn down three morale, with the 5 morale Lich hanging by 10 hit points and an Uber-orc in my deployment zone. I promptly cast Dispel Magic on his short sword, but there was no real way to come back from his opening turn. My game was done in under 15 minutes.

Second Game: My opponent ran a mix of Vampires, Umber Hulks and adventuruers. I got Call of Battle onto my Spectre and generated a fair bit of morale with it. In an early turn, my opponent hit my Hobgoblin Sorcerer for 30 damage with his model's Standard Action The Sorcerer hadn't taken any damage yet and was well positioned for spells, and no other enemies were close, so I cowered for 3 morale.

He then played Quick Jab for a minor melee attack and killed the Sorcerer again. Well, that sucked, but the Hobgoblin was still well-positioned, and what were the odds he has another Quick Jab in his hand? I cowered again, for a net of 6 morale. But my Hobgoblin was at full health!

He had another Quick Jab in his hand. This time I let the poor guy die. 9 morale down very early in the game.

Despite this painful start, the game was fairly close. My Dracolich and his Vampire got into quite the melee. He was hitting me with some nasty order combos, but in a fit of irony my Dracolich turned Vampiric Touch against the Vampire to stay in the fight.

I had him down to 5 morale at the start of the last turn, with a Dracolich in play and Terrifying Revelation in my hand, but I couldn't get the other 2 morale needed with my other models. It was a good fight.
Why would you not cower a third time after cowering the first two times? You're all in at that point.
I was wondering the same thing while writing the recap. Temporary Insanity, I guess.
I was wondering the same thing while writing the recap. Temporary Insanity, I guess.

Awesome.

Thanks for posting. 
Nice to see some coverage!

Thanks for posting Shawn - sorry I forgot your name!  After running the PAX booth, I almost forgot my own Tongue Out

Now I just need to prod Ian into posting so we can have reports from everyone in the event (Jamie posted over at BGG).
You should repost Jamie's here.
Sign In to post comments