100hp cap mod

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mod status:Finished

I have a thread documenting methods of fast combat ideas.
Here 

I like the mod that I saw from a boxer
here 

This mod is not as cool as the boxer mod. I like it though.
The goal of the mod is to increase the chance that low level characters could kill an epic enemy, and increase the chance that low level enemies could kill the epic tier heroes. This should make for an extremely brutal and hardcore game.

This mod has two steps:

Set the hp of every entity in the game to 100 hp, except for minions.
Add (10 - level) to the damage of every attack.

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Knowing the maths would be helpful before you start messing with it...
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
This feels like familiar territory. The more we'll say it is not a smart idea, the more he'll bog down and continue to post on the subject.... sooo whatever.

Even the notion shows a clear and present lack of understanding of the basic math behind the system.  The fact he did not bother to work anything out, or even explain what / whose HP he wants to cap makes me trhing it is just another troll attempt, and as always with Bajat, you know he cannot be taken seriously on ANYTHING he says.
Here we go again.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
It's just like animals, we play pretend.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

I will post the regression curve tomorrow.

If someone sees an error in the math above, let me know with specifics.

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Monster Manual 3.
Will the damage done by player characters be adjusted?
Otherwise, I can't see how a monster can live past round 1 when the characters hit Paragon (maybe even before).

I suggest you halve monsters and characters hit points and use half-damage for monster and characters alike.
Then, you can add multipliers, say x2, so that everything is still balanced.
I'm not a math expert, but I believe it can work.

Also, why talk about regression when there clearly is progression, you need a linear progression table.
I can't talk about spacifics because I'm on the east coast. But good lock anyway!
If you scale the health of everything back to 100 max, later game creatures will die in one hit. If you somehow manage the feat of scaling damage back exactly in step - amazingly unlikely, but whatever - then combat has not been hastened at all. This seems to have absolutely no purpose.

Additionally, I simply doubt this is even possible.
The only fix necessary to make 4e a truly awesome edition:

Just drop monster HP down to 50% of listed for standards and to 75% for solos and elites then jack up monster damage by 50-100% (above MM3 levels)

Faster combats guaranteed.
SadClownIsSad, that would be a nice method. I really appreciate the input.

I reevaluated what I wanted to do with the mod. 
I effectively want to mod the game so that everything has the same hp (100) with different passive defenses. 

From the DPR kings comes this damage formula for pc damage.
KPR = Kills Per Round.  1 Kill = 8*Level+24 
line formula y=8*x+24
level 30 it equals 264

I am still working on a transfer function that converts the received function 8x+24 to something more pratical for 100hp. 
There will indeed be more instant killing, that is the idea of the mod. However, I am not sure what rate I want the instant killing to occur against the pcs. I mean Wizardry is an awesome game for example, but I still like to play Path of Exile off of hardcore mode. 

Those are mmos that have considerable instant killing if someone doesn't farm.

I will work on this again later on.
But at least the town guards won't be as useless. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also looked at finding the 100 systems level damage decay. 

The change in hp should be proportional to the hp. I used damage as change in hp.
dx/dt=kx

t will represent the level.

At t=0  x=24 (note we can change this value if we want to adjust it, I used 8*level+24 with level 0)
At t=30 x=100 
(Note: optimized characters could achieve 264 damage at level 30 several times over in round 1, so they will still be able to that.)

The solution to the DE is N=ce^kt

when t = 0 then c=x=24

so N=24e^kt

We'll use the t=30 scenario to solve for k

100=24e^k30 so k= 1/30 LN (100/24) = .048

Therefore  X=24e^.048t

www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%3D24e%5E...

t=21  65.5
t=11  40

That would require adjustments to damage per level. But I think I can come up with a better transfer function. 

Example transfer function at level 11 would be to divide by the 8*level + 24 formula and multiply by the factor given. 
So to transfer it would be 40/112 I think. Still needs work, that is like half the speed of smell combat.

I will work on this again later on.

edit: made a ton of errors, had to fix them, posted too soon, my mistake

The solution to the DE is N=ce^kt
when t = 0 then c=x=24
so N=24e^kt

I think you got most of it right, but would the solution to the DE as N=e^xt be more appropriate?
So, when t = 0 then e would be equal to m c too.
So basically, I see what you want as DnD N=2014e^xt.
Something to think about...

Close enough!

This has to be one of the more depressing displays of "how to fix 4e" I've seen.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

I finally picked a transfer function. It is to add (10-level) to the damage of every attack. 

Orcus (level 33) will deal 23 less damage. His hp will be 100. 
A pc level 30 would deal  23 less damage. His hp will be 100. 

Aura's aren't an attack, so the fight will be fast, and challenging.

There are now scenarios that Orcus could be killed easily in though.
Like if he was in the open, a few arrow could take him down without much trouble.
But if Orcus could set an ambush, the pcs might die nearly immediately.

The level 3 Human Guard is going to deal 7 more damage. His hp is 100. He does d10+10 damage with his halberd.

Effectively, it takes 2000 guards now to keep their city safe from Orcus. 
2000 guards because:
1/20 will crit, enabling them to hit Orcus.
Orcus has resist 10.
They will deal 5 damage each.
5*20*20 = 2000
Though his whole being in another plane helps too. This would apply to most enemies. 
Moves the low level things closer to the higher level things. Orcus has like 1500 hp normally.

It takes one level 3 guard per level 1 goblin warrior to keep the city safe typically. 

A level 1 Goblin Warrior will deal 9 more damage. His hp will be 100. He does d8+11 damage with his spear.

But that is kind of the core idea behind the mod. 
So that is my homebrew mod. 

Sign In to post comments