Watergate Deck Idea

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on a R/W lightning aggro deck that splashes with Extort cards that I want to see if it works how I'm thinking.

Mainboard

4X Nearheath Pilgrim (SB with the Silverblade Paladin for a good life gain)

4x Firefist Striker (keep blockers detained once batallion is active)

4x Champion of the Parish

4x Hellraiser Goblin

3x Ash Zealot (I only say 3 because I don't typically want these in opening hand but still want them almost every game)

2x Silverblade Paladin

2x Pyreheart Wolf (in combination with the Firefist Striker it now takes 3 creatures to block just one of yours)

4x Syndic of Tithes (to add the extort possibility)

4x Wojek Halberdiers

4x War Falcon

3x Reckless Waif (Love this card but unless it's dropped turn one it's unlikely to transform late game)

Sideboard

3x Swift Justice (Another life gain opportunity with boost)

3x Lightning Mauler

3x Dryad Militant (in case I run into an Angel of Glory Rise infinite combo

3x Searing Spear

3x Pillar of Flame 

Land

4x Clifftop Retreat

9x Mountain

9x Plains
The problem with this idea is Extort kind of conflicts with the aggro mentality. All the creatures with Extort don't have the best body and as an aggro deck, you want to be spending all your mana early and staying on curve. Extort is best in a Control shell that often has the extra mana and numerous cheap spells like cantrips (Thought Scour and Azorius Charm). But hey, maybe Extort will be surprisingly crazy in an aggro list, I try to not turn down an idea.
The problem with this idea is Extort kind of conflicts with the aggro mentality. All the creatures with Extort don't have the best body and as an aggro deck, you want to be spending all your mana early and staying on curve. Extort is best in a Control shell that often has the extra mana and numerous cheap spells like cantrips (Thought Scour and Azorius Charm). But hey, maybe Extort will be surprisingly crazy in an aggro list, I try to not turn down an idea.

That's what I was wondering about. I just kind of thought if I already played the creature I need and have the extra mana why not ping for one and gain one. I would put blind obedience in here but it wastes a creature drop to me.
The general mentallity of Aggro decks is get the opponent to 20 ASAP and your life doesn't matter until it's 0. Most aggro decks right now are designed to kill turn 4 with a nut hand, turn 5 without, and I can't see this list winning turn 5 often. Extort is just too slow here.
As for your list in general, I'm too tired to give a good look so one quick thing, take our War Falcons. You don't have enough Knights and Soldiers for it to swing often enough. 
The general mentallity of Aggro decks is get the opponent to 20 ASAP and your life doesn't matter until it's 0. Most aggro decks right now are designed to kill turn 4 with a nut hand, turn 5 without, and I can't see this list winning turn 5 often. Extort is just too slow here.
As for your list in general, I'm too tired to give a good look so one quick thing, take our War Falcons. You don't have enough Knights and Soldiers for it to swing often enough. 

What should I use to replace the war falcons?
bump
Possible Replacements for the War Falcon

Stromkirk Noble  
Boros Elite

Both are quality one drops. 

Dryad Militant doesn't really stop Angel Rise combo.
Lightning Mauler is better than Hellraiser Goblin. Why don't you want Ash Zealot in your opening hand?
I think I'm going to try to Stromkirk Noble and playset of Lightning Mauler and see how it works. As for Ash Zealot For some reason I just don't like the card. I mean I know it's a great 2 drop but with this deck I'd rather have my one drops. I do like the Hellraiser Goblin better though mainly because it gives every creature haste instead of just one. 
Here's my updated decklist that I will be taking to FNM tomorrow night. Any last second tweaks would be helpful. 

Mainboard-38 creatures

4x Boros Elite

4x Champion of the Parish

4x Wojek Halberdiers

3x Ash Zealot

4x Niblis of the Urn (Combo with Firefist Striker to keep defenders tapped)

4x Firefist Striker

4x Syndic of Tithes (Keeping the extort in there)

4x Nearheath Pilgrim (Really like the life gain so far. Keeps me ahead of aggro decks)

2x Silverblade Paladin

2x Pyreheart Wolf (at this point the opponent is defenseless with my other tappers)

3x Hellraiser Goblin (Still feel he's important so my combos can start immediately)

Land-22
4x Clifftop Retreat

9x Mountain

9x Plains

Sideboard

4x Searing Spear

4x Pillar of Flame

3x Swift Justice

2x Furor of the Bitten (a 1 drop to add +2+2/+4+4 with silverblade)

2x Tormod's Crypt (When timed right lets me kill the angel of glory rise infinite)