Retrieving a Thrown Weapon During Combat

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Say I throw a dagger.  Can I retrieve the dagger during combat?  What type of action is that?  Could an enemy take the dagger before I retrieved it? How do I determine where the dagger has landed if I miss?  I assume that if the dagger hit, even if the enemy was not killed by it, the dagger could eventually be pulled from the enemy once it had died, but could it be taken out of the foe and used again while the foe is still alive?  I am curious about these type of rules in general.

They don't really cover this, but talk to your DM.  Magical thrown weapons return to you, so this should really only be an issue very early in the game or if you have to throw a weapon that isn't a magical thrown weapon (in which case that should happen rarely, so ask the DM).
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Say I throw a dagger.  Can I retrieve the dagger during combat?  What type of action is that?

Yes.  It's a minor action to pick up an object if you are in the same square as an object or an adjacent square.  
Could an enemy take the dagger before I retrieved it?

There's no reason why he couldn't if that enemy really wanted to use that dagger.  Most monsters don't really need to bother with other folks' weapon though.  They either have their own or they don't need them. 
How do I determine where the dagger has landed if I miss?

No rule for that so you'd have to work it out with your DM.
  I assume that if the dagger hit, even if the enemy was not killed by it, the dagger could eventually be pulled from the enemy once it had died, but could it be taken out of the foe and used again while the foe is still alive?  I am curious about these type of rules in general.

Once again, there's no rule on that so you'd have to work it out with your DM.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Get a magic dagger, the entire question then becomes moot, because all magic thrown weapons return to the hand after hitting (or fall at your feet if you have no hands free, or cannot or do not wish to take the free action to catch them)
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Say I throw a dagger.  Can I retrieve the dagger during combat?

It depends where the dagger landed, you will not be able to pick it up if its in an enemy's space. So until you get a magic dagger, you better equip with more daggers if you throw daggers in combat.

RC 246 Unattended: A creature can’t use this action to pick up an item in an enemy’s space, unless the enemy is helpless. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

They don't really cover this, but talk to your DM.  Magical thrown weapons return to you, so this should really only be an issue very early in the game or if you have to throw a weapon that isn't a magical thrown weapon (in which case that should happen rarely, so ask the DM).

can u tell me where i can find this rule? i am using a sentinel marshall dagger in my offhand and always walked (often after the encounter) to the enemy to retrieve my dagger. is the "magical thrown weapon" you mention a different/specific weapon? or are you talking about magic (+1 weapons, uncommon) in gener?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

From Rule Compendium;

RC 282 Thrown Weapon: Any magic Light Thrown or Heavy Throw weapon, from the lowly +1 Shuriken to the +6 Perfect Hunter's Javelin automatically returns to the weilder's hand after a Ranged Attack with the weapon is resolved. Catching a returning Thrown weapon is a Free action. If you do not wish (or are unable) to catch the weapon, it falls at your feet in your space.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thank you a lot =)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)