Is it possible to make a Defender Cleric (or similar leader) that uses Fire-Based Powers?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
The question is pretty much in the title "Is it possible to make a Defender Cleric (or similar leader) that uses Fire-Based Powers?"

Now obviously if its not we can just refluff but I wanted to see what people said here first

Sidenote: Onator seems like a fitting god for this.
None of the defenders uses fire outright. What are you hoping to accomplish ?

Most defenders use a weapon to enforce their control, a fire blade would be a step in the right direct, I assume. 
Its just a request from one of my friends and I couldn't really find any defenders that used firey powers and clerics only seems to have a few so I was hoping I missed something...if not possible we'll just refluff
Usually a sign they want to up their damage. Is the player sure he wants to handle a defender?
naw he loves his defenders he just wanted to be firey and add a little bit of leader
paladin, radiant ?

(fire of the gods !) 
and if they are not about the damage and just want fire based attacks for a defender, without needing a certain weapon enchantment, may I suggest a swordmage
Swordmage has some fire powers, including an at will.  Refluff powers is an option or otherwise just a flame sword.

paladin, radiant ?

(fire of the gods !) 

I agree, tis a fine suggestion.
He was already a Paladin...loved lay on hands wanted more...looking at leaders for that purpose...was thinking Paladin|Leader Hybrid or Multiclass maybe?

I'll look into Swordmage
Since hybrid paladins do not get lay on hands, and hybrid leaders only one heal, he'd be less of a healer than he is now. Not that that is what leaders are all about, but you pointed out lay on hands.

Maybe a striker|leader this time? Plenty of strikers bring fire to the table, as do controllers.
well I suggested a Pacifist Wizard|Cleric but he's insistent on Defender but I guess I'll tell its not really a good fit...is there a Leader that has some Defendery capabilities?
It seems like while there are ways to do it, they're going to be significantly less powerful of a Defender than what you'd want them to be.  Particularly given that a Chaladin is pretty much already what you want, a Defender with lots of Leader, and a VERY easy refluff of Radiant to be holy fire.  If you want more Leader in the build, you can also try out Paladin|Warlord; I know there's been a few solid builds of that floating around.  Though you'd be harder pressed to pick up the fire skills...
The Tiefling Warfiend PP, which requires to be a Tiefling and a Fighter, looks like a possible option. Takes a Str/Con build, adds an extra form of punishment which is fire damage and also adds extra fire damage to CC and OAs.

Take a Flaming Weapon and you're pretty much done, since all Fighter powers I can think of are untyped damage in their base form. You need to work a bit on your NADs since it's a Str/Con build (something like a 18/13/13 starting score with racial bumps into Con and Cha so you have Superior Will out of the box), but you also get the most supported class in the game. Not leaderish, but a good defender for sure.
Play a fighter with a flaming weapon.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
The Tiefling Warfiend PP, which requires to be a Tiefling and a Fighter, looks like a possible option. Takes a Str/Con build, adds an extra form of punishment which is fire damage and also adds extra fire damage to CC and OAs.

Take a Flaming Weapon and you're pretty much done, since all Fighter powers I can think of are untyped damage in their base form. You need to work a bit on your NADs since it's a Str/Con build (something like a 18/13/13 starting score with racial bumps into Con and Cha so you have Superior Will out of the box), but you also get the most supported class in the game. Not leaderish, but a good defender for sure.

...huh.  I wonder if you might nab that as a Tiefling Straladin and get your fire that way.  Lord knows MC Fighter is one of the best choices anyways.  Suboptimal, probably, and a bit MAD, but it might work for what he wants...
How about a Tiefling (Cha/Con) Chaladin (with a hefty Wis and ok Con) with a leader multi-class feat?

Stats: 8/13/10/10/16/22 (after racials and level ups...currently Level 9)
Play a Firesoul Genasi whatever, take Shocking Flame, done.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Yep, Firesoul or Cindersoul Genasi, Swordmage|Cleric or Fighter|Cleric. Swordmage Cleric could be STR/INT and take Greenflame Blade for his at-will  with Mighty Hew/Dimensional Vortex 1/3 Encounter combo immediates until a Flame Weapon comes online. Flame Cyclone's a Swordmage E1 that does decent damage in a close blast (dice +Int +Str) if he really wants a fire power at the Encounter level.
naw he loves his defenders he just wanted to be firey and add a little bit of leader

Firesoul (extra manifest stormsoul) Genasi Ranger|Cleric Tactical Warpriest with Shocking Flame and a Firewind Blade.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Wow got way more suggestions than expecting, Thanks guys :D

Best possibilities (after showing my friend) are Tiefling Chaladin w/ Leader Multiclass Feat or Fire Genasi Swordmage|Cleric (may or may not take Leader Multiclass Feat) still open to more though

Best possibilities (after showing my friend) are Tiefling Chaladin w/ Leader warlord Multiclass Feat or Fire Genasi Swordmage|Cleric w/ Leader Multiclass Feat...still open to more though

Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
It's not very leader-y (With the exception of some Warlock powers), but Fighter/Warlock/Avernian Knight does 'firey defender' well.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
I am currently making a 'firey defender' for a game.  I have found Swordmage works for me, without needing an item to make it stick.  I intend on an MC to wizard so I can grab the Burn Everything feat, and later the Consume the Weak feat.

If however, the OP wants a 'defender' that does loads of damage, then I can see why swordmage would slide under the radar.

Best possibilities (after showing my friend) are Tiefling Chaladin w/ Leader warlord Multiclass Feat or Fire Genasi Swordmage|Cleric w/ Leader Multiclass Feat...still open to more though

Heh thx I'll check out the Warlord one :D (I was originally looking into Skald
Well here's the Tiefling Paladin with Warlord Multi-class...any suggestions? (I'll be posting a swordmage/leader build later...thinking swordmage/Warlord Int-Based)

Note: All attacks that are radiant or fire have been house ruled to be Radiant & Fire aka Silver Flame...also this character will start at Lvl 8 or 9...Lvl 11 shown for completeness and to leave room for discussion on Paragon

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Devran Wolfblade, level 11
Tiefling, Paladin, Hospitaler
Build: Virtuous Paladin
Background: Merchant Prince (Merchant Prince Benefit)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 17, Dex 9, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 21.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 16.

AC: 28 Fort: 21 Reflex: 20 Will: 23
HP: 92 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +10, Heal +14, Endurance +9, Diplomacy +15, Insight +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +5, Bluff +12, Dungeoneering +9, History +5, Intimidate +10, Nature +9, Perception +11, Stealth +2, Streetwise +10, Thievery, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: Imperious Majesty
Level 2: Wrath of the Crimson Legion
Level 4: Virtuous Recovery
Level 6: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 8: Resourceful Leader
Level 10: Mark of Warding
Level 11: Honored Foe

POWERS
Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
Paladin at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin daily 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin utility 2: Bless Weapon
Paladin encounter 3: Righteous Smite
Paladin daily 5: Unyielding Faith
Paladin utility 6: Virtue
Paladin encounter 7: Price of Cowardice
Paladin daily 9: Ray of Reprisal
Paladin utility 10: Wrath of the Gods

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Firewind Longsword +2, Black Iron Plate Armor +2, Healer's Brooch +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Well, get some +3 gear, I'd say.

Is there a way to get Cha up to 17 for a 22 start ?

Other than that, what does the MC Warlord bring to the table? 
Well, get some +3 gear, I'd say.

Sorry I should have clarified the Character is starting at Lvl 9 but is shown at 11 for Paragon Path

Is there a way to get Cha up to 17 for a 22 start ?

Hmmm...not sure

I'll come back to that working on Swordmage|Warlord at the moment

I'll come back to that working on Swordmage|Warlord at the moment

Not something I am desperate to find out. I think you should ask yourself if 3/5/7 damage by an ally is something you find important enough to spend a feat on, particularly with Improved Defenses, Initiative, Superior Will, and some others missing. Not that familiar with paladins, but Astral Fire, Commanding Vow, Contagious Challenge look useful.

@Baldhermit: I took the Warlord multi on suggestion in this thread but I'll look into other feats as it does seem a bit underwhelming...anyways I finished the Swordmage|Warlord

Notes: Didn't bother choosing magic items as I'll leave it to the player to decide but open to suggestions, Player will start at Lvl 8 or 9 Level 11 is there for completeness and Paragon discussion

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Devran Wolfblade, level 11
Human, Swordmage|Warlord, Adroit Explorer
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Theme: Guardian
Background: Noble Scion (Arcana)
Warlord Leadership: Battlefront Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude
White Lotus Dueling Expertise: Choose Implement Proficiency: White Lotus Dueling Expertise (???)
Hybrid Talent: Commanding Presence (Hybrid)
Commanding Presence (Hybrid): Tactical Presence (Hybrid)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 17, Dex 11, Int 23, Wis 9, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 11.

AC: 25 Fort: 20 Reflex: 24 Will: 18
HP: 80 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +8, History +16, Endurance +11, Heal +9, Arcana +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +4, Insight +6, Intimidate +6, Nature +4, Perception +6, Religion +11, Stealth +3, Streetwise +6, Thievery +3

FEATS
Human: Mark of Healing
Level 1: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 2: White Lotus Dueling Expertise
Level 4: White Lotus Riposte
Level 6: Student of Artifice
Level 8: Hybrid Talent
Level 10: Action Surge
Level 11: Double Aegis

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Sword Burst
Hybrid at-will 1: Greenflame Blade
Hybrid at-will 1: Inevitable Wave
Hybrid encounter 1: Powerful Warning
Hybrid daily 1: Binding Aegis
Hybrid utility 2: Arcane Mutterings
Hybrid encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex (x2 due to PP)
Hybrid daily 5: Stand the Fallen
Hybrid utility 6: Armathor's Step
Hybrid encounter 7: Echoes of Sword Magic
Hybrid daily 9: Hellspike Assault
Hybrid utility 10: Strength of Conviction

ITEMS
Longsword, Javelin, Leather Armor, Heavy Shield
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

What it gets you is a large bonus to your allies' damage when they AP. My paladin has both the resourceful and bravura MC feats, to give +11 (Now +13 in epic) damage to allies when they AP.

You can also powerswap at 13 for death from two sides, using virtuous strike as your cha-based MBA and generate crits for your ally every encounter.
Sign In to post comments