Pack Attack Gnoll

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I understand that the Sentinel isn't great. Also that the Censure of Unity Avenger isn't the best Avenger build out there. However I want to build a Gnoll that makes the most of pack attack.

Therefore I thought about a Hybrid Censure of Unity Avenger/Spring Sentinel on a Dire Boar mount with the Fey Beast Tamer theme (Owlbear).

This will be a level 7-10 character only.

My thoughts are that if I get 4 allies around an enemy (owlbear, wolf companion, mount plus a defender or another melee ally) I will be getting lots of extra damage (+4 from Censure, +2 from pack attack, +2 from owlbear) 

Team it up with a Blood fury weapon and my first two turns could be:

T1
Move action - send in the owlbear and wolf, and get within charge range
Minor - bloodied myself with blood fury weapon or battlecrazed weapon 
Standard - Charge with Ferocious Charge turned into a whirlwind charge, plus extra attack from boar and gain some THP

T2 
Minor - Righteous Rage of Tempus
Move (turned into Minor) - Oath
Standard - Hit using 2xd20 plus an extra 10 damage (+4 from Censure, +2 from pack attack, +2 from owlbear, +2 for bloodied) 

I know this will never be an amazing character but what to people think? 7-10 extra damage regularly at low heroic seemed pretty good to me. 

Is there any items/feats I could add to increase the pack attack idea?

Here is my first go at it:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Dagnyr, level 9
Gnoll, Avenger|Sentinel
Hybrid Avenger: Hybrid Avenger Will
Hybrid Talent: Avenger's Censure (Hybrid)
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Unity
Fey Beast Tamer Starting Feature: Fey Beast Tamer Companion (Young Owlbear)
Beast Companion Type: Bear Companion
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 23 Fort: 19 Reflex: 21 Will: 21
HP: 73 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Religion +10, Perception +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +6, Heal +8, History +5, Insight +8, Intimidate +5, Nature +8, Stealth +9, Streetwise +3, Thievery +9, Athletics +6

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Armor Proficiency: Leather
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 6: Mark of Handling
Level 8: Heavy Blade Expertise

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Combined Attack (retrained to Whirlwind Charge at Level 7)
Hybrid daily 1: Summon Giant Toad
Hybrid utility 2: Avenger's Resolve
Hybrid encounter 3: Fury's Advance
Hybrid daily 5: Menacing Presence
Hybrid utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Hybrid encounter 7: Charm Beast
Hybrid daily 9: Summon Crocodile

ITEMS
Dire Boar, Battle Harness Leather Armor +2, Cloak of Displacement +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Blood Fury Fullblade +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Using the Pack Attack feature of Gnoll correctly involves 1 step - telling your allies to stand next to the target. That's it. No need to do...this.

You're missing out on Oath on your opening charge, and how do you get +4 from your Unity bonus? 
The fact that an Avenger isn't Oathing something until turn 2 should tell you that something is horribly, horribly wrong here.
You could oath turn one and bloodied turn two instead.
I understand this isn't amazing but want to try and make a character based on pack attack and wondered if there were any feats or items that nay help
Fey Beast is a fine theme, then you just need one other ally adjacent. No need to mess with the Sentinel.

Pack Attack is a useful racial bonus, but not really something you can optimize a build around. The +2 damage is great for multiattacking (which you aren't even attempting to do here), but it's not something that you can pull out all the stops and make build-defining. Gnolls aren't terribly well supported, have awkward stats, and are really only poached in Epic for one thing (Reincarnate Champ to charge with HoB).
That makes sense, I will have another go with a beast master ranger so I can twin strike and minor attack and off turn attack.
Beastmaster Ranger isn't really the answer to anything, sadly. Fey Beast Tamer works very well if you're looking for more allied bodies to put on the field - where Beastmasters do the same but at a much higher cost. You lose Prime Shot AND Two-Blade style by taking it - and get little in return (all the beast powers are terrible). 
Beastmaster Ranger isn't really the answer to anything, sadly. Fey Beast Tamer works very well if you're looking for more allied bodies to put on the field - where Beastmasters do the same but at a much higher cost. You lose Prime Shot AND Two-Blade style by taking it - and get little in return (all the beast powers are terrible). 

Not entirely true: it works if the question is "what's a great way to gimp the ranger?" Tongue Out

I know its an odd thing to suggest (because they are generally viewed poorly in char op), but have you considered a mount?  I'm about to start a game as a character mounted on a dire wolf with feybeast tamer for something sort of similar (the dire wolf part).
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I did put that I was going to use a mount in the op, but had forgot about it, that would mean I could have fbt and a dire boar then could be a two weapon ranger. Maybe even hybrid with warlord but keeping two weapons via hybrid talent.
So this is my second run at it:

I have decided not to go for frost cheese as it is fround upon at our table and I don't think fits my characters concept.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Malgna, level 11
Gnoll, Ranger, Pathfinder
Build: Two-Blade Ranger
Fey Beast Tamer Starting Feature: Fey Beast Tamer Companion (Young Owlbear)
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Ranger: Running Attack
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 13, Dex 19, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 25 Fort: 23 Reflex: 23 Will: 18
HP: 93 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +11, Perception +13, Stealth +13, Acrobatics +13, Athletics +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +5, Heal +6, History +5, Insight +6, Intimidate +6, Religion +5, Streetwise +4, Thievery +8

FEATS
Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 2: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 4: Two-Weapon Defense
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Mark of Handling
Level 11: Fierce Charge

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Throw and Stab
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Off-Hand Strike
Ranger daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger utility 2: Begin the Hunt
Ranger encounter 3: Ruffling Sting
Ranger daily 5: Two-Wolf Pounce
Ranger utility 6: Death Threat
Ranger encounter 7: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Ranger utility 10: Resume the Hunt

ITEMS
Battle Harness Hide Armor +2, Blood Fury Bastard sword +2, Battlecrazed Bastard sword +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Dire Boar, Amulet of Protection +2, Magic Dagger +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

That is a VERY expensive 18. I would even go as far as calling this build dominate bait. Please do not take the Bastard Sword proficiency feat for too many reason, and drop the focus feat for some improved defenses, initiative
I though bastards swords were good as the are accurate and cam take the magical properties I wanted, what weapon would you go with? Also what defensive feats would u go for other than improved defenses.
I created a gnoll that uses pack attack extensively. It's actually a very fun build due to the tactical nature of pack attack, the fey beast from the fey beast tamer theme, and getting combat advantage to make use of light blade expertise.

The origin of the build was making a usable claw fighter gnoll. The basic idea is tempest fighter + claw fighter feat + fey beast tamer theme. I also added on gauntlets of blood (if either my character OR the enemy is bloodied, it's +2 damage or +4 if both!). Other feats include light blade expertise, weapon focus (light blades), improved defenses, midnight blade student (target reflex with dual strike), and two weapon fighting.

It's certainly not broken, but it does a fair amount of damage for a sub-optimal race choice. And the tactical positioning angle is fun for combat. I just wish they'd give gnolls a flex stat (and make Strength an option!)...
Bastard Swords are basically a +1 damage, no accuracy improvement at level 0 compared to Rapiers. Only then. At higher levels, once you managed to get Light blade Expertise, its even a negative, not counting the cost of the spent feat.

I never suggested defensive feats other than improved defenses, but improved initiative, nimble blade are worth looking at.

Running Attack needs to be dropped like a hot potatoe in favour of Prime Shot, which through you can then boost to also apply to melee attacks, and tag on goodness.