Fixing Magic Missile

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I figured this would be the right forum for this.
It's commonly accepted that Magic Missile is so bad that pretty much the only way to use it that's not completely embarrasing is killing the last enemy in an encounter when you know its hitpoints are so low, that it is guaranteed to die (like if you know it's a minion, or if your DM told you its exact hitpoints because you aced that monster knowledge check). It's sometimes slightly less useless at level 1, but the scaling is just terrible. 

I'm looking for ways to houserule it, so that it becomes a viable option for players in my games.
There are a couple of options, like changing it back to the original 4e version (requiring an attack roll), increase the damage it deals (still not requiring an attack roll), have it do more than deal damage depending on Mage school (since they are the ones that have it automatically), etc.
These changes could be free, at the cost of feats or both.

What would you recommend?
Just bring back the original version. It worked fine.

We have a wizard in our group, this is exactly what we did. 
Probably a better topic for homebrew...

But personally I think the answer is to just copy Hand of Radiance. Up its range to 20, change it to force from radiant. Good enough. Or Magic Stones, and probably leave untouched.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Range 20, give it an extra target per tier, and critically, make it a thing that all wizards (and swordmages, artificers etc) get free - then you don't need to worry about it being under- or over-powered, it sits there as a situationally-useful part of the arsenal, rather than taking up an at-will slot.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Doesn't change it's a waste of a perfectly good standard action.

Make it a minor.
You just have to add a damage die of some sort to open up damage optimization, right?  Just make it do 1d4+INT (2d4 at 21), maybe?

Eh - Effect: kill 3 minions - is a valid use of a free ability.

Especially if it has a push 1 as well. Or is quickened. 
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director

Eh - Effect: kill 3 minions - is a valid use of a free ability.

Especially if it has a push 1 as well. Or is quickened. 

This.

Also, it would be mostly there to let you actually be usefully enabled, deal autodamage even if you're a big penalties to hit, and autokill minions.  It's not uncommon that autodamage, particularly typed (I'd also probably give it the option of radiant or force at paragon) can be very useful.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.