Why can I not cycle my Pale Recluses?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is this a known glitch? Where in online play you can't forestcycle or Plainscycle with the Pale Recluse.

It's SUPREMELY IRRITATING! I click on the ability, it shows what lands I want to tap to do it, but then when I say "Activate ability" it just ignores it and places the card back into my hand without doing anything! It doesn't do this in offline single player, it works just fine there.

Is this common? Cause I really love my Recluses, they make things work but in the half hour I've taken bandying about with my five color build online, I've already lost SEVERAL games because I just couldn't cycle for the lands I needed.
It's a known glitch.

However, as far as manafixing goes, Pale Recluse is probably your worst overall option.  You probably don't need more than 4 fetchlands, 4 cultivate and 4 rampant growths.  If you think you need more than that, add the other two fetchlands.  Recluse costs mana to do what those cards already do for free.  And the body that Recluse brings to the table is rarely relevant - you don't need many bodies to win with this deck, and the recluse is one of the worst in the deck.  I don't think MM should be running more than 6 creatures, if that.
I agree with dh50 that they are not the best in MM, but I did really like my Pale Recluse in CM which I ended up taking out for the same reason.  I have no idea why, but it is not working properly at all.  It is a known issue and one that has been around since CM had a Recluse when the Expansion came out months ago.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Hey Flush, welcome back!
Thanks dh50!  Glad to be back. ;)

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

I concur with everyone.
There is enough mana ramp/fix in MM without the Recluse.
And on top of that, it doesn't always work properly.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

I guess I'll just have to be going against the consensus then, I find that the Spider makes my opening hands just a little bit more consistent. I can have opening hands that don't have a forest in them as long as I have a spider. There's been more than a couple times already where it turned a rubbish opening hand into a great one.

Still, I wish it worked consistently.
I've never had a bug while using Pale Recluse, and I use both of them in MM.  I'm not saying you haven't, but maybe this bug isn't present on PS3.

They're not exactly like Expanses and Wilds, fetchlands can't be turned in to summon spells later in the game.  Sure.  They're the weakest body in the deck but they're bigger than most creatures in the game sans Pack Instinct.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I have the same problem. I use the card in CM, where it actually is very helpfull in snatching me 3 forests or getting enough lands in play for my overrun/biorythm.

I cant cycle the cards for minutes, and suddenly it works. Not sure if it has anything to do with the chat being in the way or not, but if someone knows a work around, I would be very greatfull! 
It was also bugged in Dop 2012 and does get verify annoying that it doesn't work 30% of the time.
Yak Cast - MMO Podcast: http://yak.mmoSmackTalk.com Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/yakmmosmacktalk Follow me on Facebook: http://facebook.com/YakCast
In my experience, the recluse has worked everytime I have cycled it with only 2 mana on the table - and never if I have drawn it with 4+ mana on the board. After hitting this behaviour repeatedly and consistently, I cut it from CM and later when MM came out.
In my experience, the recluse has worked everytime I have cycled it with only 2 mana on the table - and never if I have drawn it with 4+ mana on the board. After hitting this behaviour repeatedly and consistently, I cut it from CM and later when MM came out.

So it goes wrong when the game wants you to choose what lands you want to tap? Lets put it to a test. I'll try cycling with 4 mana open, cast a 2 cmc thingy or whatever and try again. If that works its at least something.
nice thought - I hadn't considered the option of "locking" away some of the lands by casting a spell, and then trying the cycle option with only 2 mana available. Love to hear your results on this.
The game's just buggy in general, and has been since the first one came out. The most frustrating two I've come across have been:

1) A sync issue at the start of the game screwing with mulligans. Occasionally you'll choose to mulligan, get a much better 7, keep, then the game will sync... to your pre-mulligan, terrible hand.
2) Cards not being able to be played despite nothing preventing you playing them. I've lost multiple games from not being able to play sweepers for science-knows what reason.

Matchmaking is still screwy as crap as well. If I select the find any match option and there's at least one match available, I shouldn't get *any* error. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
nice thought - I hadn't considered the option of "locking" away some of the lands by casting a spell, and then trying the cycle option with only 2 mana available. Love to hear your results on this.

Have not been able to get this to work yet. Closest I got was when I had 3 lands and tried to cycle. The game asked me which lands I wanted to tap, while placing the spider to the left allowing me to see my lands. After this it just flew back into my hand. I tried this numerous times and when my opponent casted a phoenix the game decided the spider looked really nice just hovering over the playing ground and kept it there for the duration of the match. I could zoom in on it, but then it went off camera. Wow.