Deep Pocket Cloak Q/A

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
The question has recently come up in our campaign, can something living go into and come out of a Deep Pocket Cloak? without being harmed.
Not sure how the mechanics of it work. The question was asked if the members of the party could potentionaly get into the cloak to hide. 
Nothing says you can't, so you can.

Provided you have teammates who weigh ten pounds or less, of course.
You got the online Compendium, check it out.  It doesn't say anything about not storing living things, so I'd rule yes.

However, each item stored within one of the cloak’s pockets can weigh no more than 10 pounds, so unless you're that small, it's not gonna happen.  

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

The rules are  not explicity either way on this in 4e, and I would say its up to DM discretion.

The intention seems to be that its not possible, as for the Deep Pocket Cloak and similar items (Handy Haversack and Bag of Holding) it takes a minor action to put an item into the object or take it out and it doesn't say anything about putting creatures in or out (corpses count as items, creatures do not).  The only item that specifically forbids creatures is the True Portable Hole which cannot be closed if a creature is inside.  Since the Deep Pocket Cloak has a 10 lb per item limit (as Lola and Siegfried pointed out), they would have to be Pixies.

If you were to allow it, the challenge may be survivability as there isn't specified to be any air within the bag; therefore, after 3 minutes they would have to start making Endurance checks which start at DC 20 and go up by 5 every round. Each failure results in the loss of a healing surge, and  if you have 0 surges you take damage equal to your level.
  Additionally, they would have to have someone on the outside draw them back out, so if the party member who remains outside is captured or incapcitated, anyone insde will definiitely suffocate.

Ok, thanks guys!
Knights of the Dinner Table ... BAGWORLD! 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Also worth noting that there is a sidebar in heroes of the feywild about hiding pixies in pockets to suprise people, so this seem like that general theme. But as always talk to your dm as mentioned above.