DM Only - D&D Next Conversion Session 1

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Did anyone else have issues with the conversion stats? The paladin in shiny polished armor was suddenly in leather armor. Why wasn't he properly stated out? Or they could have at least gone to the effort of writing replacement flavor to cover him in leather armor. The squires also changed from maces to spears.

I changed both to the correct equipment (what their 4e versions use) with no serious impact. I'm going to have to review all the stats now to make sure there aren't any other weird curve balls like a paladin in leather armor.
Did anyone else have issues with the conversion stats? The paladin in shiny polished armor was suddenly in leather armor. Why wasn't he properly stated out? Or they could have at least gone to the effort of writing replacement flavor to cover him in leather armor. The squires also changed from maces to spears.

I changed both to the correct equipment (what their 4e versions use) with no serious impact. I'm going to have to review all the stats now to make sure there aren't any other weird curve balls like a paladin in leather armor.

The difference between plate in 4e and Next is pretty big. I think the conversions are intented to maintain the same level of relative difficulty. 
The difference between plate in 4e and Next is pretty big. I think the conversions are intented to maintain the same level of relative difficulty. 

Plate? What are you talking about? Who said anything about upgrading him to plate armor?
I did change the gear to match.  The Paladin got elven chain and a longsword and the squires maces & spears.  I also noticed that there were 4 squires in the conversion notes, but no name for the 4th one.    

The changes didn't make a huge difference, even with a higher AC, our Barbarian beat the Paladin down pretty fast.  And, the really big glitch of the night, the instant kill of a PC, was in /spite/ of the changes I made, not because of them.  First init of the first round, the possessed Paladin crits a rogue, rolls maximum for the weapon die, and the that's the end of the rogue - greatsword would've been worse.  :shrug: 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Why the need for a 1:1 conversion? Some sense of balance? I love it when things are unbalanced, either direction.

Find a new Dungeoncrawl www.tenfootpole.org

It's not about balance. Somebody seems to have grabbed some generic and inappropriate stats and then didn't update the flavor text (like the addition of the extra squire).
Sign In to post comments